• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Windows rot over time?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What causes Windows to die over time?

• Total voters
Surprisingly, I have not reinstalled my XP Pro in almost 2 years now. If you know how to maintain and preserve your computer properly, Windows does not need a reinstall. I've gone through different platforms. From Socket A to Socket 754, via to nf3, and I have never fully reinstalled Windows. She's running like the day I got her. All programs load zippy. Given that there are a couple problems, but is bound to happen. XP Pro does not need to be reformatted after extended periods of time. Xp Home, 98se, ect. do have a problem like that though...

Windows XP is OK by me. I don't have very many problems with it compared to the earlier windows versions.

I also like Linux. I've used it before and will use it again. It's not an either or situation for me.

Windows Rot!
Like real glass it slowly drifts toward the outer sectors of the HD platters until it slips off and is splattered all over the inside of the drive housing! :D :LAMO

I must say this used to happen to 95, 98 and ME. It finally faded when 2K came along but it still happens but just takes longer. I'm not a fan of MS but I do have to say they have improved over time. Linux is by far a better OS but it still won't run HL2, Civ3 or SimCity 4. What I have noticed is that each successor release still contains a lot of code from it's predacessors. Start needling around some of the desktop and dialogs from 2000 and 98 show up in XP. Notice the way the custom settings are not applied until you Ok back to the main dialog. One problem is that the code is mostly procedural meaning a lot of code is repeated throughout the system. With Object Oriented systems strictor coding rules are applied, base class elements are inherted to share common functionality. Notice the inconsistancies in dialogs when using various tools and features. Some you can resize, some open dialogs lack the full browse abilities. When you have this large of a system trying to encompase the whole world you are bound to updates rot the core. Linux may suffer this a little to but Linux have a very loose coupling between the OS, it's windowing system and the foundation of tools installed. Like Thermaltake they are trying to be the King of all but like the Roman Empire, when you spread that thin command structure suffers and remote branches of the empire stray!
AC

apu318 said:
Xp Home, 98se, ect. do have a problem like that though...
98se and all the 9x based stuff certianly does. But XP Home is still XP, and dosen't die on it's own accord (/me is running Home, and it hasn't shown any signs of rot ;))

MRD said:
It's not fair to place all the blame on human error. An OS should be reasonably robust and resistant to ill effects of human error. Windoze is not. That's an OS flaw, even if that flaw is only revealed in the presence of certain human behaviors.

Obviously, no OS can be infinitely user-proof. If you take a debian stable linux box and immerse it in your swimming pool, it will stop working. However, windows is so easy to corrupt, which is a flaw.
No, it's not fair to place all the blame on human error. However, I would argue that XP is "reasonably robust and resistant to ill effects of human error" as long as I am allowed to throw in a caveot. That caveot would be "provided the humans/programs causing the error are not running as admin". Similarly, I would aruge that Linux is NOT "reasonably robust and resistant to ill effects of human error" when running as admin. Sure, Microsoft was stupid for making the user admin by default (and *nix devs smart for not making everybody root), but that's their fault -- not their OS's.

Windows under the limited account is pretty hard to kill inadvertantly. The other 4 of my non-computer savvy siblings run under limited accounts on my parent's computer (parents are admin), and it's still running pretty good. It definatly shows signs of rot, but nowhere near as much as before I plunked everybody under the limited account (of course, this may be the result of them using the admin account anyways, since my parents are notorious for not logging off :rolleyes: ).

I can't wait until Microsoft perfects limited accounts under windows, since they should do a lot to improve the stability of Windows for the general populace (who just loves Bonzai Buddy to kill their system :eek: ), and won't be nearly as much of a pain as they are presently.

JigPu

JigPu said:
No, it's not fair to place all the blame on human error. However, I would argue that XP is "reasonably robust and resistant to ill effects of human error" as long as I am allowed to throw in a caveot. That caveot would be "provided the humans/programs causing the error are not running as admin". Similarly, I would aruge that Linux is NOT "reasonably robust and resistant to ill effects of human error" when running as admin. Sure, Microsoft was stupid for making the user admin by default (and *nix devs smart for not making everybody root), but that's their fault -- not their OS's.
The assumption, I think, on the original PC, was that a user running amok wouldn't do anything but zap his own files. Unfortunately, it's not a true assumption today.

The nicest thing about me being prompted for a root password on OSX/Fedora whenever I try to do anything dangerous is that it forces me to think very seriously about what I'm doing. A simple "reenter your password" thing on XP would, for my purposes, do the same.

Audio,

Its quite significant that you mentioned heavy gaming as a possible cause for problems. I have atleast 6 full sized games+ expansion packs installed on my daily use drive. Now, it remains to be seen if my benching drive will show up problems in another month.

@ Apu318

I am running Home Edition. I just don't have a need for Pro on this stand alone machine. The two other copies of XP I own are Pro and Home editions(I have two other computers in another location). They all run about the same and varies per usage. Home is no more unstable or robust then Pro, IMO anyway.

I find myself using the reg in Home like I would the console in Pro. The only reason I have Pro is for the fact it controls another machine and the features it offers helps make life easy for me. Pro offers a few more features than Home, but in my experiance they are the same under the hood, minus a few extra tools. Home is so widespread versus Pro that is why it seems to degrade more than Pro.
The one machine I own is primarily for childerens usage. It is properly locked so they can't get into or modify critical parts of the OS. Other than that it has been up and running since early Feb without incidence. Still a very snappy 700MHz machine. The childeren are very much encouraged to look and touch any part of the OS as they find they have desire. They just don't realize how locked down the OS is. Both machines are driven by n00bs. I think I get a call about once every three months for help. I can addess most issues via land line. So far it has been software/driver issues. Just like on my machine.

Edit: The two other machine I speak of are not connected to the web. There is a VPN setup on the Pro machine. Other than that, it is pure LAN over a crossover cable.

Last edited:
Ok, here's a little food for thought. The system I ran XP on, went for 6 months then the file system somehow got completely corrupted. No hints or clues that anything was amiss. That system I just use for messenger and light browsing. The machine I'm typing this on gets re-installed every 6 months to a year (Win2K + all availible updates). Because sooner or later it will start acting funny. I use it for all my regular gaming and work related things. My file server (also acts as my TV) which I recently had to re-install (motherboard failed due to bad capacitors), had gone for years without so much as a hiccup. It had previously gone through two motherboard changes with the same install. I didn't even repair the installation. Aside from the drivers that were installed when the OS (Win2K SP2), was initially installed, it was never updated or played with other than an anti-virus renewal every year. Same install for 4 years, running 24/7 other than power failures, the 3 motherboard changes, or an anti-virus update that required a re-start.

I run Win 98 (first edition) and it's the most stable MS operating system I've ever used. I've really taken a liking to Windows 2000 Pro SP4 also, since it's what I use at work. I've yet to have a problem with that OS either. Most of my problem usually occur from 3rd party software problems, specifically within Unicenter Argis and Service Center. Even Novell ConsoleOne can be a little buggy within Windows.

ihrsetrdr said:
3rd party software takes it's toll; Winders does not play nice and thus suffers as a result.

Is this the Winders yins be talkin 'bout...
(sorry I could not resist)
inbox6iw.gif

Haha nice picture. As for Windows I know people that use it for basic things like email and chatting, a few of which have had Windows going for a few years with no real problems. I myself however reinstalled Windows over 10 times this year. Due mainly to me trying to configure it and messing something. I do think though that 3rd party software is a big problem.

I think a windows install can be used forever if properly maintained. I've keep a windows install for about 2years now and all i have to do is watch the registry and remove the junk from it, also watch whats loaded on my ram like services and programs that i don't need. I've corrupted a file or two occationally from overclocking, but its not difficult to restore.
There are cases like with my friend's computers, they don't maintain, so everything piles up, I can either spend countless hours trying to fix the mess or just format and start from new which wouldn't take more then an hour.
so to answer the question, yes windows does rot w/ regular use over time, but it is preventable.

Time and time again when I'm helping someone troubleshoot their computer I find spyware/adware and otherwise just junk in their system. I think that kind of software just plagues Windows and overtime just degrades it and causes to "bug out" so to speak.

i have xp pro on 90% of the machines i use, problems happen when i download or update to new drivers.

my dads friend is an it guy, i asked him the question posted here and he said most problems arise from "user error".

they've been running xp pro on their workstations since 2001. they have an extremely low crash rate because they restrict rights and deny any configuration changes trying to be made by the user.

as for myself -

i overclock my pc into unstableness
update drivers constantly
change hardware constantly

so far i'm still on the same install of windows. i've used 3 party programs like-

window washer v5.5 - remove internet cookies/cache, remove info from all the varios temp files windows and install programs have.

drive clean pro - to remove old video card and device drivers when i update them. i use advanced system optimizer/registry mechanic/window washer right after.

advanced system optimizer - delete duplicate files, remove empty registries

registry mechanic 3.0 - remove bad registries

diskeeper - to defrag

adaware/spybot/spyware blaster - to remove ad/spyware, block known bad sities

antivirus/firewall - to remove and prevent virus's, unwanted intrusions.

so far my original format of windows is running as it was originally installed.

i don't know how to ghost yet but i've used system restore when things don't go right. i make a "system restore" point ever 2 months or so.

another thing i do which isn't a program but a windows utility is running "chkdsk"(checkdisk) from a command prompt(thanks for the tip sentential). i do this everyday when i try to push my overclock further and further.

windows hasn't rotted for me yet but i know that there's practices to avoid or reduce it from happening.

i can't compare it to any other non-windows os because i don't have them or know how to use them.

i like windows :) - this is a biased statement because windows os is all i know

Captain Newbie said:
Educating users won't entirely cure Windows of its problems. Manufacturers like Dell need to learn that XP just doesn't run well in (really) less than 512MByte. XP disk-thrashes frequently in less than 512M.

Even on my main box, with 2GB of RAM, the system swaps. I don't like this. If you've got physical memory available, why would you _deliberately_ swap and bottleneck things? Granted, paging to disk is an advance in technology, but that doesn't mean it should be used constantly.

Many programs need to run off the cache a little, disable your system cache, it's likely you will get some programs crashing. I'm not to sure if you was asking why you still need to use the cache with 2gigs of ram, or whether you was questioning the fact that programs should just be able to run straight off the ram.

I didn't vote, i think its mainly about the user, how they maintain windows and how bad windows has to get for them to format. I used to format every month or so, that was on my main rig with games so you can understand how long it would take to acturly get my rig back to normal. I'm a lot less fussy now, i'm just going to see how long i can keep my current install.

Scott.

Back