• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doing mad upgrade from OLD *** system. Check it out-plz give input :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XZit

I'm doing a complete total upgrade from my older system

First--heres my old system (as of right now-before I upgrade):

Amd ?? 1.3Ghz
352Mb SDram (whooppiii...lol!)
ATI Radeon 7200 32Mb Sd (omg...wtf? Old eh? lol!)
60.0Gb hardrive (almost filled up)

Those are the specs of the computer I'm running right now.
Its got me through many upon many things. Its like--over 5/6years old or more.

Sooo....heres what I plan on upgrading to. I could upgrade more--but I need to save some $ now. lol. Plus I plan on buying a labtop soon to help out with my college work.

Anyhow so heres the plan for the new system--Please tell me what you think/give input e.t.c.

Thanks!!

(GPU) Radeon X800GTO 256mb Pci Ex. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814142052

(CPU) AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice w/1 yr warranty
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535

(Motherboard) ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 w/1 yr warranty
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131517

(RAM) Patriot Dual Channel 1GB (2 x 512MB)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220037

I'll be buying a case later. I have to still do some priceshopping on that/check out local computer stores e.t.c.

The Cd drive/burner--I won't need to upgrade, and I don't burn dvds (yet) so I won't need one of those (for now). So Floppy Drive, cd drive/burner, case all stay the same.
I have to still do some shopping on really cheap hardrive.

SO what do you guys think?
Think I should even bother with the warranty on the cpu? Its to much extra $$ to have a warranty on the cpu, motherboard, and the gpu--I'll be getting a warrany on two.
Which two should be warrantyed?
Cpu and motherboard? Motherboard and gpu? or Cpu and gpu?

peace

Last edited:
You call THAT old? Try this

600mhz Pentium 3, 128MB SDRAM, 16MB Diamond AGP X2 video card, Asus mobo (it even has ISA slots!), 8GB 5400 RPM Maxtor loud as **** hard drive.

As it stands, it's OCed to 690mhz, has 512MB ram, 64MB video card and a second HDD 40GB seagate (also 5400RPM).

I should have the new system in within 2 weeks :)

K15 said:

600mhz Pentium 3, 128MB SDRAM, 16MB Diamond AGP X2 video card, Asus mobo (it even has ISA slots!), 8GB 5400 RPM Maxtor loud as **** hard drive.

As it stands, it's OCed to 690mhz, has 512MB ram, 64MB video card and a second HDD 40GB seagate (also 5400RPM).

lol--ya pretty old skool there.

So whatcha yall think of my new setup?

pz

yea that setup should do you for some time quit nice tho you might need a newer psu if your thinking of oc'in and another hd if that one is nearly full :p

as for old school about 3months ago i gave a 300mhz amd k6 2 with mb, memory, case and hd away! haha after that i gave a pentium 3 800mhz away an no doubt my dad has somethign lying around lol

>HyperlogiK< said:
That build sounds pretty solid, but if you are getting an ati card, why not just get an NF4 Ultra board?

Ya know I just checked that motherboard out. Its about $20 less then the sli deluxe. A $20 difference isn't to much of a big deal.
I just hear good things about the sli deluxe. And on newegg.com the guys that bought the nf4 say that they had some issues with booting it up/getting it to run e.t.c.
I just don't want to run into to many diffucultys once I get my stuff.
I just wanna plug it all in, hook it all up-and hope it works. :)

Anyhow--what about the warrantys? What should I warranty? What should I not bother with warrantying?

pz

I wouldn't warranty anything...in my experiance it either works right away and works fine or it doesn't on arrival...haven't had any problems with anything getting tempermental on me.

I would look into an opteron 144 or something and OCing that...if your OCing that is, if not then that's a good CPU choice

XZit said:
lol--ya pretty old skool there.

So whatcha yall think of my new setup?

pz

Looks good, like someone else mentioned, I don't think your current PSU will work too well with the new setup :beer: Everything else looks good ;)

We still have a pentium 166 around here somewhere. AT case, VESA video card (with who knows how much memory, 4MB probably), 1.19GB WD drive, windows 95, 32MB SIMM RAM, the works :attn:

aight guys a couple more questions.

a couple of people so far have mentioned the DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D motherboard.
Why specifically is this motherboard better then the sli-deluxe? Is it better for ati cards?
It is cheaper-by almost $50.

Anyhow---so if I WHERE to warranty anything, what do you guys think I should warranty?
Becuase I'm going to warranty at least 1 thing--just incase. It will probally end up being the motherboard becuase the cpu/ram/gpu should be stable out of the box.
Yet the motherboard--ya never know. lol

no, not specifically, it just tends to be the best 939 overclocker (well, maybe it, the bfg, and the new dfi expert) because it has a very comprehensive bios and is extremely solidly built.

>HyperlogiK< said:
no, not specifically, it just tends to be the best 939 overclocker (well, maybe it, the bfg, and the new dfi expert) because it has a very comprehensive bios and is extremely solidly built.

aight--so I shoudl go with the nf4 ultra d then?
I've read a bit about it here on overclockers.com forums and people seem to really like it. It seems like a nice stable motherboard--esspecially for overclocking.

Ok I still need the qeustion answered as I'm probally placing the order tommrow or the next day:

What should I warrantY? Even if you think I shoudln't bother with warrantys at all--if anything what should be warrantyed????

pz

XZit said:
aight--so I shoudl go with the nf4 ultra d then?
I've read a bit about it here on overclockers.com forums and people seem to really like it. It seems like a nice stable motherboard--esspecially for overclocking.

Ok I still need the qeustion answered as I'm probally placing the order tommrow or the next day:

What should I warrantY? Even if you think I shoudln't bother with warrantys at all--if anything what should be warrantyed????

pz

Whatever parts you get that are retail will have warranties. If you buy OEM, the warranty will be really short or nothing at all. So I guess check on that. Things I wouldn't bother with warranties are CPU, RAM, hard drive. All those things, for failures that DO happen, an extremely high percentage happen right out of the box or a couple days later. Once the first month or 2 has passed, failures drop right off (for non-OCed, of course :)
For me, a one year warranty on most parts is enough. Then I don't feel so bad when I void it :cool:

K15 said:
Whatever parts you get that are retail will have warranties. If you buy OEM, the warranty will be really short or nothing at all. So I guess check on that. Things I wouldn't bother with warranties are CPU, RAM, hard drive. All those things, for failures that DO happen, an extremely high percentage happen right out of the box or a couple days later. Once the first month or 2 has passed, failures drop right off (for non-OCed, of course :)
For me, a one year warranty on most parts is enough. Then I don't feel so bad when I void it :cool:

so you think I should warranty the Graphics card, and the motherboard?

pz

If your talking about a extended warranty, I wouldn't get it. K15 is right, most problems are going to happen right away like something DOA. The only thing I ever get it on is a LCD as backlight replacement tends to be costly.

As for your new system, looks like a nice setup. After using both the Asus and the DFI NF4 Sli boards, I found the DFI overclocks better but the Asus was a little easier to setup. Just be sure you get a good PSU to power it.

XZit said:
so you think I should warranty the Graphics card, and the motherboard?

pz

It's up to you. Overclocking wrecks the warranty anyway. But I personally wouldn't bother with a warranty. If I buy something with absolutely NO warranty, I might ask the retailer about what would happen if it was DOA. But as long as the warranty is a few months long, i'de be happy.

K15 said:

you call THAT old? try the laptop in my sig :santa:

So back to the warranty situation.
So should I warranty the motherboard AND the gpu?
Are gpus usually pretty stable out of the box? Cause I know that motherboards are the most common piece of hardware out of the box that can fail.

I'm buying the setup tommrow (more then likely) and I wanna warranty at least one thing.

pz

Back