• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Think ive sorted all my problems.
Enabled LLC load line calibration & CPU-NB calibration & wow:shock:Now I can run pc ok @ 4ghz with 1.4 voltage lol.
Ran 30 min's OCCT & PCMark & Burntest & going to leave it over night to see what happens. Max temp has been 55 core temp's.
Not one BSOD.
Will let you know results.

Make sure that your Board supports 4 sticks at 1600. If I'm not mistaken, most AMD boards can't handle that timing without some major overhaul on the CPU-NB.

Will do. have cpu-nb set @ 2750

16x250, 1667 dram, 2750 nb, 2000 ht ,1.4375 cpu v, cpu/nb 1.2, dram 1.65, llc enabled, cpu/nb ll enabled.

6 hour occt test no problems.

Wow I feel silly after so much wasted time, with just one setting:shrug:

And this is why IMOG should hurry.

Thats right, I'm secretly making fun of you in another thread.

No, it just means Matt is slow in posting my articles. I've written a lot of information on LLC and its in a new article. But it has not been posted yet.

Whats funny is that he probably won't see this threads, so one of his green lackies will report me because I'm breaking the rules.

Matt is Phatt. Thats right, with a 'p','h' and a double 't'.

No, it just means Matt is slow in posting my articles. I've written a lot of information on LLC and its in a new article. But it has not been posted yet.

Whats funny is that he probably won't see this threads, so one of his green lackies will report me because I'm breaking the rules.

Matt is Phatt. Thats right, with a 'p','h' and a double 't'.

You better mean IMOG. Because I'm the coolest Matt around these parts.
:rock:

Matt

I meant IMOG. Hokie just reported me :D.

Btw, just to be clear to everyone that is reading this. I know IMOG is super busy, I'm just poking fun at him.

The LLC defintely changed everything for me & nly knocked OC'ing my PC on the head till I came across it.

Ide also like to know if CPU-NB Line Calibration should be enabled, & what difference it makes, which I never noticed so set back to auto.

I read LLC can spike your voltages , the only down side. But what that means I have no clue.

Look forward to any info posted.

Long time reader, thank you Dolk for your time in putting together this guide and answering questions. It helped me tremendously with my 9850, then the 940, and now my 1090T on my new Crosshair IV. Overclocking with this cpu and motherboard is very smooth, it was easy enough to stabilize a 4.1 at just over 1.4 CPU VID, with LLC on. Temperatures are fine on air (Zalman 9900 Max), but any farther in speed and the voltage has to be cranked up quite a bit and the temp creeps up farther than I would like. I was tinkering with Turbo Core, which I see you haven't quite posted up on; I see that most folk are disabling it, but I found that I can get up to what looks like a stable 4.35 or 4.4 on the three cores, which comes into play quite a bit during gaming and adds a perceptible boost in fps. My only concern was that I saw the CPU VID spiking up to 1.56 to 1.58, which would make sense to me since Turbo Core is set to run at 1.475, but it adds in my offset (same thing happens if I set voltage manually instead of as an offset btw) along with LLC. The temperature of the CPU does not increase perceptibly, which I assume means that the system is working as intended. However, I wasn't really comfortable about spiking that much voltage through the cores. I backed it down to a 4.0 OC, which I can stabilize at 1.3875 or so, and the Turbo Core only pushes up to around 1.55 now, which is a little better. My question would be, should I actually be concerned about the high voltage spikes, or since the temperature is still the same, am I ok? I can always tune down the Turbo Core VID with phenommsr or something, I suppose, but I thought I'd ask if you or anyone has done a lot of tinkering with Turbo Core and might have some insight.

The thing about Turbo Core is that it only is used when the Speed is needed. I'm not familiar with the hardware but most likely its a trigger overload call to the Fetch unit. In other words, when a large process is seen by the CPU, it ups the speed.

Now there is no problem with the speed increasing and decreasing at spikes. The problem lies with the voltage jumping all over the place. Voltage spikes are bad, it can hurt the hardware or wear it down.

What I would do is test to see how often the spikes occur. Using OCCT you can monitor your voltage rail and see when the CPUv spikes. If the spike has a wave length that is less than 5 seconds, I would turn the feature off. If the spikes wave length is greater than 20 secs than there should be no concern. In between 5 and 20 is a "meh" zone. It could damage the hardware, and it may not.

I fired up OCCT, but I didn't actually see a way to force it to run on only 2 or 3 cores, to trigger Turbo Core. I did, however, fire up the netbook and ROG Connect and ran some prime95 with 2 threads, and monitored the voltage there.

I think maybe I used the word "spike" incorrectly; I see the voltage go up and down from 1.4 or so to 1.54 pretty consistently and quickly as the Turbo mode shifts from core to core. If CoreTemp and AOD are displaying information correctly, it looks as though the "boosted" core or cores are continously changing among the six, rather than staying fixed on certain cores. CPU-Z and CoreTemp show a more constant voltage with smaller variation than I see in ROG Connect, but that's probably because the voltage is changing faster than CPU-Z and CoreTemp refresh.

My bigger concern was that 1.56 or 1.58 was an unsafe level of voltage, unless it's mostly temperature that we are concerned with. When Turbo Core is kicked in, the temperature stays the same 38 degrees at load (that's CPU temp, not core) as when it's disabled.

How high the voltage is going is one thing, its the amount of spikes in a given time at a certain length is what will kill your CPU.

To many short spikes in X time = death to any hardware.

That's an interesting point, because I see the voltage swing up and down as much as twice in one sec. Out of curiousity, I backed down to default (3.2 to 3.6 turbo) and saw the same behavior in voltage swings, but at a lower range of VIDs of course. I know Turbo Core is designed to shift cores up and down depending on perceived workload, but I see the same voltage shifts whether I run a game that is maxing two cores or using prime95 or sitting here on the desktop.

It looks like with Turbo Core on, the voltage shifts from low to high about once per second, more or less, under load. It might flatten out for a second or two, but starts right back up. I assume that is intended behavior, but I can certainly see your point about a constant voltage as opposed to a voltage oscillating back and forth.

Maybe I'll just leave Turbo off then...heheh.

From an EE perspective, this just seems messed up. But I guess on default if it does the spikes all the time, AMD must have made protection so that it does not hurt the hardware. But I can't imagine that it does not have some effect on the CPU life span.

From an EE perspective, this just seems messed up. But I guess on default if it does the spikes all the time, AMD must have made protection so that it does not hurt the hardware. But I can't imagine that it does not have some effect on the CPU life span.

I agree, I watched my voltage spikes while overclocking my CPU to 3.84, turbo would kick the core up to 4.3 and after seeing the voltage hit a maximum of 1.61 I chose right then to disable the feature. I would rather run up my electric bill with a constant 6 cores churning away at 1.5 volts then take a chance with turbo core ramping my speed up and down along with the voltage like that.

If it would, as you said, turn it up for a good duration then drop it down it wouldn't be such an issue but this was happening every second or two even just surfing the web. AMD needs to adjust the core load requirement to invoke turbo.

finally got mine stable for 24/7:

Phenom 1090T @ 4.00ghz (200x20)
CPU:1.428v
CPU-NB:2600 (200x13)
CPU-NB:1.255v

46°c max after 1 hour OCCT cpu test

setting up the CPU-NB improved my benchs so... thx again Dolk ;)

Back