• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to the Overclocking world! - Phenom II X6 1055T ~help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bos_dc2

Registered
Hi everyone,
:clap:

I'm new to the world of overclocking and I think I finally have the right components to start tinkering.. I apologize if I'm either not in the right section or this has been discussed before. The searches I've scanned through were a tad more advanced and has got me hiding in a corner. :rain:

This rig is mainly used for gaming. Overwatch & Counter Strike.
Hopefully I could add some more spiff to this CPU before retiring it for a newer Ryzen series in the near future. I have not messed with anything in the BIOS at the moment and would like everyone's opinion on what I can safely achieve with regards to overclocking my CPU & Ram.

Here are the specs!

CPU | Phenom II X6 1055T
Cooler | Corsair H60
Ram | G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 2x8GB 1866 Mhz
Motherboard | MSI 790GX-G65
GPU | EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC
PSU | OCZ 700W
Storage | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD / WD 500GB HD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your help is greatly appreciated!!

Welcome to the Forums Bos! If I may be completely honest with you I would not OC on that motherboard. It lacks the VRM power to overclock safely. That's not to say that it can't overclock. It just doesn't have the components to do it with out risking a meltdown.

For the 2 games you listed you are well within the requirements with your 1055T so I would simply hold off until you're ready for your upgrade. My son plays Overwatch on my old 1090T and hasn't had any issues.

Looking at the rest of your system it looks pretty decent. The 1060 will game great on 1080p for most games. So it looks like you'll just need to replace the motherboard, CPU and RAM when it comes time to upgrade. I'm not sure about that PSU. I have an old OCZ PSU also and it's working fine but I don't think they are known for quality PSU's so you might concider that too if it's 1.)old or 2.)falling out of spec.

Hope this helps :salute:

Welcome to the Forums Bos! If I may be completely honest with you I would not OC on that motherboard. It lacks the VRM power to overclock safely. That's not to say that it can't overclock. It just doesn't have the components to do it with out risking a meltdown.

For the 2 games you listed you are well within the requirements with your 1055T so I would simply hold off until you're ready for your upgrade. My son plays Overwatch on my old 1090T and hasn't had any issues.

Looking at the rest of your system it looks pretty decent. The 1060 will game great on 1080p for most games. So it looks like you'll just need to replace the motherboard, CPU and RAM when it comes time to upgrade. I'm not sure about that PSU. I have an old OCZ PSU also and it's working fine but I don't think they are known for quality PSU's so you might concider that too if it's 1.)old or 2.)falling out of spec.

Hope this helps :salute:

Ahhhh, I had a feeling the motherboard was holding me back when I couldn't find much information on it for overclocking.

I've heard bad things about OCZ PSU and SSD but both of mine have treated me well thus far haha.

Onto another question then..

I have noticed that my computer easily bogs down when loading a lot of applications and am not sure whether it's due to my Ram or CPU.

Currently, I have 24gb of Ram. - 16gb 1866 and 8gb 1033? I understand that it automatically detunes it to the lowest setting but could I potentially make my multitasking session more pleasurable by overclocking my ram or am i plagued by my CPU as well?

Honestly 16GB should be plenty for anything other than Video encoding, CAD work, or anything that is very RAM intensive. More than likely the 8GB of 1333 is slowing you down. I would pull those out. It's really not a great idea to mix and match ram like that anyhow as it can cause instability.

Your ram could be the issue too though. These Thuban CPU's are now 2 generations behind current models and lack some of the modern instructions that newer CPU's have. This just means it takes longer to process the same data.

You "should" be able to run that ram at rated speed and maybe give the NB speed a bump. That should help

Honestly 16GB should be plenty for anything other than Video encoding, CAD work, or anything that is very RAM intensive. More than likely the 8GB of 1333 is slowing you down. I would pull those out. It's really not a great idea to mix and match ram like that anyhow as it can cause instability.

Your ram could be the issue too though. These Thuban CPU's are now 2 generations behind current models and lack some of the modern instructions that newer CPU's have. This just means it takes longer to process the same data.

Thanks for the advice, I will remove the 8gb of lower frequency ram.

You "should" be able to run that ram at rated speed and maybe give the NB speed a bump. That should help

I'm going to give this a try tonight! Thank you!

There's a link in my sig to a good OC guide for those CPUs

There's a link in my sig to a good OC guide for those CPUs

Back