• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry about earlier. I tried reading it on an empty stomach. I got it. Right now, I'm Prime95ing it at 3055Mhz, so far pretty stable 20 minutes in. Bumping up the FSB to 240 generates rounding errors, though. CPU voltage is 1.3875, and NB voltage is 1.25. NB frequency is set to 1920, HT is Auto. I am so close to 3120 I can almost taste it.

Suggestions?

EDIT: I've kicked back the voltage to 1.3750 due to heat concerns, and now I'm seeing rounding errors an hour in at 3055Mhz. I don't know where to go from here.

Last edited:
Not sure if its been mentioned or anything yet, but not all the Phenom II chips are 1.35 volts on stock. My 955 is 1.4volts on stock, C3 and a mates C2 955 is 1.3 volts.

@Madengineer, the norm for the default voltages is roughly 1.35v and most CPUs will run at this voltage at stock even if it is higher.

@AntiPerson

:welcome: to the forums!

You are doing nothing to this CPU. The 810 is pretty weak but it can take a lot more than that. Ramp the CPU-V voltage to 1.425v and start working with the CPU frequency and the Memory to maximize. Your biggest limit is going to be the mosfets. I believe with your board they are not passively cooled with a heat sink. This can limit the amount of voltage you put into your CPU.

Sorry for the delay in response. Life got in the way and I had no time to OC. But I'm back, and it looks like the best settings I've found so far are 2990 CPU and 766.7 RAM, at 1.4 volts. The temps max out at 52/3C (hovering right at the point where it has a tough time deciding which temp it is). But I'm happy for the moment, as it's darn near the 800, which the RAM is rated at. I might be getting my hands on a Thermalright cooling tower with 120 push/pull fans soon, though (forget the model number).

grettings masters in ocing^^, just bought a phenom II 555be unlocked to 4cores, i've just managed to oc it in 4.3ghz @ 1.525v cpu-multi @ 21.5 cpu-nb @ 2.8ghz 1.300v ht-link @ 2000mhz. now my question is, is my cpu voltage in the right range? coz i've been reading some posts that they've managed to oc it on 4.3ghz using 1.42-1.45v only? btw i've used Dolk's guide as a baseline for my oc^^ (very helpful for me). So guys is my cpu voltage good? im using asrock 990fx Fatality, i think its the motherboard that won't allow me to run my b55 @ 1.45v? hm.. i should have bought the asus sabertooth. but i think im good to go with this mobo.

:welcome: Iceman to the forums!

The voltage level will very for many different reasons. First most for you is the fact that you unlocked two cores. This raises the voltage bar already. Second most is the amount of heat generated. The temperature of the CPU directly effects the amount of voltage that will be used for an OC. The colder the CPU the less voltage usually needed.

Your OC looks pretty standard to me.

you said that your overclocking will have two portion. the black edition and the standard edition thuban. I cant see the regular thuban one?

I know that Dolk has been very very busy and has little time to write more to that guide. With your 1055t you can merely go back up the page a little bit in the guide and start with "Finding Your Max FSB" and begin there to develop an overclock for the non BE 1055t.

Dolk as in many areas of his "Guide", suggests strongly that you begin at the beginning of the guide in order to get a hands-on feeling of the terms and terminology.

Oh I must have not have updated this sticky completely. I did a remaster of the guide awhile back. Check out my link in my sig.

Dolk, Im new on posts in Forum and new in overclocks, i have on P2 965be on a GA790FXTA-UD5 motherboard and trying some overclocks in my processor and im stable in 3900Mhz with 1.45v, but my problem is that i have a HD5970 + HD5870 and i think i have bottleneck my system because my gpu dont pass 45% load in BF3 and my frames came down to 30.... my doubt is "if i overclock my cpu-nb frequency and the voltages?" i have cpu-nb vid control and nb voltage control what is diference between then? sorry for my bad english.....

There could be a bottle neck with your CPU communicating with your GPUs but this is a bit rare. I am assuming you have BF3 on Ultra with the best resolution. What is your memory at?

Yes, all in Ultra and the resolution is 2048x1536! my doubt is i overclocked the processor to 3900Mhz @ 1.45v, cpu-nb 2600Mhz @ 1.25v and the HT link 2600Mhz, all others voltages and frequency stock, i think i have a better performance in the game after overclocked the HT link, my theory is that the ht-link in stock have 8Gb/s each direction and the pcie2.0 8gb/s x 2 = 16Gb/s, my botleneck probably is the Hypertransport!. you have idea what frequency is good in Hypertransport and the voltages? i need to apply more voltage in Northebridge? (now in stock) and handling the 2600Mhz of the hypertransport.

Maybe, can you watch each threads activity during game play?

i see that without cpu overclock all the cores at 100% maybe because that i have drop frames, now after overclock all cores in 90 - 92%, the framerate now is better after the overclock the hypertransport, i see the memory of my video card is growing in game and them reach 100% of use in all cpu's after that i see lags, i think this game dont refresh the memory of the video card and when she was 100% need the hypertransport to read some textures and then have small lags because hypertransport don't have bandwidht to supply all 3 GPU with textures..... i think maybe is it.... only happens on BF3 on ultra, in high the game is smooth.....

disabling AA nothing happens the frames still the same, and if i drop the resolution still the same. Only changing the quality affects the framerate, im still thinking or is a problem on crossfire drivers to thias game or my HT not capable of handling the data required for my GPU's.... so my driver is the latest one beta driver recommend for amd for gamers......

Back