• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was going to start a thread on this because it's not displayed in my BIOS either. I think it's 1.10v, though. Can anyone confirm that?

And it does seem like you have the option to undervolt that.

Why? I don't really know.

CPU-NB VID is not a static value.

However, on four 955/955's I've owned dated 1209/1210/1212 weeks, CPU-NB VID was exactly 1.1v for all CPUs. Of course, they all come off the same production line too, since all CPUs now read "12xx PGT"...the CPU-NBs of these CPUs are hit and miss too, some do 2800-3000, etc on air, all a crapshoot. On LN2 my worst did 4.2 GHz 32M with 1.6v, another would boot up to 4.88, 32M @ 4.5.

For any weeks 09xx to 11xx, CPU-NB can be anything...I've seen as low as 1.1v, as high as 1.225v personally.

I think AMD decided here in the last production runs that 1.1v would be enough and did not bin CPU-NB to save time/money. This is almost a bare-minimum voltage, but more than enough for 2 GHz. Ironically I was not able to get the CPU-NB to run AT ALL under .975v on any CPU I have, even at 1000 MHz CPU-NB.

Mine by default is 1.1000v, right now I have it on 1.0000v. Since I've been gaming for like 6 hours with no hiccups I'm going to run Prime95 Blend now.
Currently have everything at stock with the CPU vcore at 1.275v.

Edit: Ran Prime95 Blend for a bit over 30 mins and no errors, tonight I'll leave it ruining a few hours see what happens.

Last edited:
I have this raM: DDR3 Corsair Value CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 1333Mhz 4GB
CAS / Timings / Voltage
9 / 9-9-9-24 a 1.333MHz (a 1.066MHZ 7-7-7-20) / 1,6v

So, i should use these timings right? (9-9-9-24)

I have this raM: DDR3 Corsair Value CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 1333Mhz 4GB
CAS / Timings / Voltage
9 / 9-9-9-24 a 1.333MHz (a 1.066MHZ 7-7-7-20) / 1,6v

So, i should use these timings right? (9-9-9-24)

Yes those are correct timings if you wish to run @ 1.333ghz. You might be able to get tighter timings, say 20 instead of 24 for the last one. Regarding CPU nb voltage it is usually around 1.1175v for the phenom IIs as already mentioned. The CPU nb voltage increase is crucial for a stable oc when increasing the nb freq. I have had mine set at 1.3xx for the past two years with no problems. New boards are far more durable and can handle more voltage than previous generations.

A free bump for this one, as many newcomers are asking about PhII OC (Deneb/Thuban), and I think this is one of the best guides on the web.

EDIT: BTW, how come this one doesn't stick to my finger?!?

good question. I found it on google, didn't even know it was here, and i'm a forum member, and was lookign through the AMD section for tips on overcoming my issue.

(about the issue: i was crashing on any oc over 3.7ghz, no matter how i got there... FSB or multiplier/vcore. I knew it was a ram issue, due to the type of crash [BSOD with a mem dump usually means ram] but nothing I did fixed it. This guide gave me enough info to figure out where I needed to take the HT/CPU-NB settings to allow 3.8+ overclocks)

This guide probably isn't great help to a total n00b, but for someone who knows something of overclocking its a goldmine, especially for someone like me, who is familiar with OCing, but who never oc'ed a Deneb before. I felt like a freakin' expert after reading this guide. and loved how quickly the new info could be applied successfully to this slightly unusual Deneb...

I mean most guides were telling me things that didn't work with this particular Deneb... as this one seems to be a power hog, needing plenty of vcore to do any type of OC whatsoever. Which, according to every other guide to oc'ing this chip, "doesn't happen"... while i apreciate the rarity of the situation, those types of guides were worthless to me. As they simply told me to do stuff that didn't work with this chip.

This guide however gave me a pretty thorough education in the supporting structure and how the chip interacts with the rest of the system. As well as useful guidelines or roadmaps for utilizing that information in overclocking... that info proved invaluable, and allowed me to overcome that small roadblock and take this chip up to 4.2 stable enough to load into windows at least (i've since backed it down as the temps were out of control)

hello everybody.

id like to ask if i've done something wrong. im pretty new to oc'ing not to say a total noob :D

i've set the core voltage to 1,40V in bios but its at what u can see on the picture. no idea why :-/

my question is: could it be my NB-Frequency and HT-link is too fast? should i lower it a bit?

HT-Link is at 1600mhz and NB thingy is 267 * 9

here the picture: http://250kb.de/oW1g5u8

This thread is not a real good thread for that type of question since really this thread is n0t monitored that much. In other words most make their own thread in the AMD CPU or AMD Motherboard thread where those that do most of the helping are found. Newbs use this thread more than helpers.

In a real thread of your own you will be asked to supply ALL the particulars of your system so that some idea of what Vcore you should see can be determined.
RGone...

hello everybody.

id like to ask if i've done something wrong. im pretty new to oc'ing not to say a total noob :D

i've set the core voltage to 1,40V in bios but its at what u can see on the picture. no idea why :-/

my question is: could it be my NB-Frequency and HT-link is too fast? should i lower it a bit?

HT-Link is at 1600mhz and NB thingy is 267 * 9

here the picture: http://250kb.de/oW1g5u8

Hi,
Thank you for your manual its great.
Just want to ask you.I have AMD Phenom2 x3 BE. I can go to 4ghz no problem.My problem is
I cant unlock fourth core.Anytime if i try to unlock fourth core Windows 7 64 crashes in louding.
I bought recently new memory OCZ Reaper Edition DDR2RAM CL5-5-5 bcs I thought it maybe the problem but not still the same

if i go back to 3 core tehre is no problem and i can do ovecloking very well.

CAn you help me pls to open all cores?thank You PAvel

This thread has little to do with unlocking of some locked AMD cpus. You would do better to post in the AMD motherboard section and give actual specifics of your system. The motherboard model is a must to know.

Also from your symptoms when trying to unlock, the cpu's 4th core may in fact be locked out because it is bad.

Hi,
Thank you for your manual its great.
Just want to ask you.I have AMD Phenom2 x3 BE. I can go to 4ghz no problem.My problem is
I cant unlock fourth core.Anytime if i try to unlock fourth core Windows 7 64 crashes in louding.
I bought recently new memory OCZ Reaper Edition DDR2RAM CL5-5-5 bcs I thought it maybe the problem but not still the same

if i go back to 3 core tehre is no problem and i can do ovecloking very well.

CAn you help me pls to open all cores?thank You PAvel

Will an overclock be more stable by raising the FSB than simply turning up the multiplier?

depends on your chip. i found my deneb liked FSB overclocking (as in it was a lot easier to stabilize), that said when FSB overclocking i needed to really pump up the vcore and cpu/nb voltage. so temps spiraled out of hand fast.

on the other hand, it seemed to like low vcore and higher multipliers. not sure... all i know is i could hit 3.8ghz on straight multiplier with very little vcore bump... but i needed to do fsb overclocking to get the system stable with any sort of northbridge/ht frequency increase.

it turned out to be a temp/power balancing act between faster ram speeds and faster processing. took months to balance out right. i mean i had the worst stability issues running my ram at 1600... until i was able to get my nb up to 2400 and ht up to 2200, plus adding a bit of voltage to the ram... seriously it was a balancing act, ended up having to boost the cpu/nb voltage up to 1.4V, to match a cpu voltage of 1.45V, at a cpu frequency of 3.8ghz with a FSB of 206 (x18.5) in order to make the higher nb/ht speeds work, and keep the temps reasonable, and the system rock solid.

sorta crazy all the little tweaks i needed really.

Last edited:
Most the folks here (including me) are going to nag you and tell you off for using AMD Overdrive, with good reason.
Is highly recommendable to use directly the BIOS for proper overclocking.

You can try this settings as a starting point, though I can't guarantee you they will work perfectly:

CPU: 3.8GHz 1.350v/1.375v
CPU-NB: 2400MHz 1.200v/1.225v
HT Link: 2000Mhz (Default)
RAM: 1600MHz 9-9-9-24-1T (the voltage should be 1.5v or whatever your ram is meant to run at)

Then run Prime95 on blend atleast 1 hour, the more the better though.
Hey man i registered just to say thanks for these EXACT SETTINGS

Ive been trying to figure out where the hell to even START with setting voltages since my board WAY over volts under [AUTO] modes.

Your exact settings are running stable on my Phenom b55 X2 (2 cores unlocked). THANKS!

*Virtual bro-hug*

Back