• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Don't hate on Windows Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Windoze is Serious Business.

rofl.gif

wow uh haha didnt mean to start an argument. All I was saying was that Vista is still really great and is nice and stable now. I like 7 but as a vista user I see no reason to upgrade. The snap feature is great and it IS faster and less of a resource hog. But I as well have seen some networking problems. I am happy that Windows 7 FINALLY added indexing. Overall I would say that 7 is something to get if you are buying a new computer or if you are upgrading from XP. When 7 gets sp1 or sp2 it will be much better just like Vista

I use Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit and I LOVE it. sp2 is excellent and now that it has dx11 support Windows 7 is useless... to me at least who already had vista prior to the release of 7. I like Vista's aero interface a little better honestly. It has more features and eyecandy though 7's ui is pretty epic too. But Windows 7 doesn't have indexing. That for me is a deal breaker. So I guess the point of this post is that Windows Vista is still really good so don't count it out.

Hate on? What's that supposed to mean? Don't sit on Vista and hate something?

I have never had any problems with Win 7 networking in any iteration or computer I have used. I don't really like the networking interface in 7 but find it just as bad as vista for me. But after once you get used to it they both work just fine.

Would I buy vista over win 7 for a new computer? Never. Would I buy Win 7 if I already had Vista installed? Probably not. Unless the price was right.

After running Win 7 for a while, and customizing it to my feel, I find it's pretty much the same as Vista.

I really didn't notice a difference at all between the two as far as performance goes. Win 7, in my opinion, is more annoying to set up. Quick Launch in my opinion is more useful than the taskbar pinning, but you have to search around for a while to get it set up and changed over.

:shrug: It all feels the same to me. Both are better than XP.

I never really had any issues with Vista when I was running it, bit of a heavyweight but on a higher end machine it always ran smooth. Then I got Win 7 Pro 64 for free and thought I'd try it... months later ever PC in my house (4) is running WIn 7, including an old HP laptop that wasn't usable with Vista installed, runs 7 like a firehose.
I liked Vista, but 7 is a whole new ballgame!

I never really had any issues with Vista when I was running it, bit of a heavyweight but on a higher end machine it always ran smooth. Then I got Win 7 Pro 64 for free and thought I'd try it... months later ever PC in my house (4) is running WIn 7, including an old HP laptop that wasn't usable with Vista installed, runs 7 like a firehose.
I liked Vista, but 7 is a whole new ballgame!

that's the problem. Vista is a heavyweight. It scales very poorly to hardware. It was designed with "Bigger, better, louder, more powerful" machines in mind. Unfortunately, when it was released, everyone and their mamma was going towards "smaller, quieter, less powerful, more efficient" because it was cheaper and did what they needed it to. Vista didn't scale well to that type of machine.

On a big, beefy machine (like what 99% of us here run), Vista is fine. On Bob McNormaltan's basic, home internet and occasional homework assignment pc? It was horrible and slow.

Windows 7 scales very well, from netbook up to beefy machine (have it on my netbook after fiddling with Ubuntu Netbook Remix... love the UNR, but it was buggy). My netbook (Acer Aspire One D250) runs easily 33% faster with 7 vs. XP or UNR.

That's the big difference and what makes people go wild for 7 over Vista. It scales so much better to hardware, so you don't have to have a top-end machine to run it well.

That is a very good point about Win7 scaling down to lower end machines. Had vista for about 5 months then got a free upgrade to 7. It ran better on a mid level laptop. The only thing I modded was the start menu. Added a small untility called Vista Start Menu.

I'll stick with XP Pro SP3, thanks. It does everything I need and I KNOW all my programs work with it. We've been hit too many times at work with IT "updating" us right out of a very useful piece of software for me to repeat that mistake at home ...

I'll stick with XP Pro SP3, thanks. It does everything I need and I KNOW all my programs work with it. We've been hit too many times at work with IT "updating" us right out of a very useful piece of software for me to repeat that mistake at home ...

QI,

I still run XP Pro on another Intel E7500 machine daily and I agree. I use a .dbf relational database program and XP is the last OS that supports it (16 bit software based) so I'm forced to keep XP Pro running forever.

I had some trepidation installing Vista 64 on this machine when new but since doing so I never had a problem (that wasn't my fault!) with Vista 32 / 64 once getting used to the "features." I would go to Windows 7 but "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.

If Vista had been released with SP2 I think it would have been fairly well received. With SP0 & even SP1 it's a nightmare in my experience. Windows 7 just works out of the box for me...the way Vista SP2 does only better, but that's just opinion.

Neuro have you tried the windows + cursor keys in win7? Those gems combined with hydravision & ultramon are dynamite.

For me, 7 is everything I could have hoped for if I were to build a better XP. Vista sucked, period. Microsoft is back on track.

QI,

I would go to Windows 7 but "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.

And your on an OCing forum for what reason? Almost everything we do here at OCF is the anti-thesis of that phrase.

For me, 7 is everything I could have hoped for if I were to build a better XP. Vista sucked, period. Microsoft is back on track.

And your on an OCing forum for what reason? Almost everything we do here at OCF is the anti-thesis of that phrase.

There comes a time when one does not feel like fixing broken computers anymore and when one does not feel obligated justifying why one is here. That time has arrived for me.

Oh, I wouldn't go scrounging for a copy of XP for a new build (though I'd still buy one if readily available ;)) but upgrading to Win7 just because it's marginally better would be like adding $120 worth of cooling for only 1°C decrease in temps ...

Oh, I wouldn't go scrounging for a copy of XP for a new build (though I'd still buy one if readily available ;)) but upgrading to Win7 just because it's marginally better would be like adding $120 worth of cooling for only 1°C decrease in temps ...

I dunno about marginal. At least on the middle-of-the-road Acer laptop that I'm on, it made a significant performance difference. On a much more powerful rig, yes, the difference would probably be marginal.

There seems to be a huge amount of trolling in this thread, and I can't help but perpetuate it
W7 is a lot more efficient and is better in every way than Vista (including networking, it's worked flawlessly for everyone I know)

Says the guy who continued to talk about Macs...

When I must use Windows, Vista is better than 7 or XP for me, and obviously better for some others. 7 is better for some. XP is better for some. OS X is better for some. Linux is better for some (I'd rather use it over any version of Windows). Gentoo Linux is better than SuSE or Fedora or Ubuntu for some. Etc., etc., etc., and so on, ad infinitum. Much of the negative hype about Vista is BS. That is fact, not opinion. Some (some != all) of the negative hype is true. That is fact, not opinion. Therefore, Windows 7 is not "better in every way then Vista".

Last edited:
I dunno about marginal. At least on the middle-of-the-road Acer laptop that I'm on, it made a significant performance difference. On a much more powerful rig, yes, the difference would probably be marginal.
For anything that goes off and on a lot the most important thing would be boot-up time. For laptops in particular RAM use is probably a big part as well. I'm sure Win7 is fine for rigs like that and, from what I've read, probably is better. But as you say for desktops it's just so much fluff, IMO.

The only thing I don't like about my sig rig, which is now almost four years old, is IE8. I "upgraded" to it because our front page addressing was screwed up on IE7. Well, it fixed the address problem but everything else is worse and I wish at this point that I'd never "upgraded". But being acquainted with Windows for 15 years it's not worth what I'm sure would be a royal headache to switch it back. :( If Vista and Win7 are anything like the newer/better/faster IE8 I'll take a permanent pass ...

I currently have 4 computers running in my house. My Sig rig which is running Win7 Ultimate(Free, Good perks at my job), 3 year old HP Laptop running Vista, 3year old toshiba running Vista and an Old Compaq P4 with a nvidia 6600 as a HTPC using XP pro SP3.

Between all three OS's, and switching between them constantly, I am sticking with win7. Working at a computer store, I get to test and play with all the new models as they hit the shelves. So far Win7 has ran smoother and better on all the computers, especially the craptastic sub $400 computers and into the mid ranges. It is rather easy for me to navigate and use using the pinned tasks. I have just a few essential on there and that is it. The networking setup for homegroups is by far easier than vista for printer sharing and media sharing. The list goes on and on...most of it heard by now.

Biggest plus for me over vista or XP was the ease/quickness of installation. Having done a few clean installs for friends using windows 7, it is quick and painless. With my Sig rig i didn't have to install any drivers whatsoever. Everything was automatically recognized. Far as software goes, it has run every single old game i have thrown at it. It even runs Shogun:TW and the original BnW without having to use XP compatibility mode.

With all this said, you may be asking why vista is still running on my two laptops when i am on the verge of fanboyism? Not worth the effort to back them up and re-install. Vista has worked for me very well ever since SP1, and even better since SP2. Only complaint being drivers for a few things but no biggie, bunch of old crap anyway. And windows XP...well I will never go back on the Compaq dies.

My final verdict: If you have Vista and are happy, then by all means keep it. It's fully supported, stable, and with the newer hardware runs decently. If your buying a new computer, go with the windows 7. If you XP and the hardware to handle the newer OS's, upgrade. XP support is stopping soon anyway.

Back