• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Down sides of win 8 Pro Upgrade ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sony190

Are there any down sides to getting win 8 pro upgrade ?
Does it come in retail ver ?

Last edited:
i just got this myself, with the right promo code, I ended up getting it for $16.79
i figured for that cheap, i may as well pick up a copy

what does this mean ?

As previously announced, the lineup does not include a full package product (FPP) SKU for retail purchase. Instead, consumers will be allowed to buy the OEM product, install it on a new PC or in a virtual machine, and take advantage of the Personal Use Rights section of the OEM license. That represents a significant savings for consumers, who can pay $140 for a full license for Windows 8 Pro rather than $275 for the full retail package.http://www.zdnet.com/prices-and-packaging-for-windows-8-go-public-7000005685/ (bottom of page)
does it mean that I can later buy a full retail license of Windows 8?

Last edited:
My Experience

All went well with the download and Install.

I expected the learning curve and prepared by having available shortcut info and Win 8 help pages from Micro Center.
I was getting along with it pretty well. I even cloned it to a SSD once it was configured the way I wanted. Worked well at this point.

Second day, The ALL APPS button quit working and I could not find a fix for that on-line.

With the ALLAPPS button not working and no start button to get to many apps that were not showing on the desktop that was aggravating.

I know how to get around most of those issues but you shouldn't have to.

Ran into a lot of things that I would normally do in WIN 7 that I could not find or was well hidden in win 8. Techie, maintenance things.
IE-9 changed to IE-10 with this upgrade. No big issues with that.

The Built in Restore feature that was supposed to set it back to normal minus any apps I had installed, ABorted, with no solution to fix or repair it.

It's solution was, call your system administrator, which is me..lol

So without any restore media for WIN 8, I chose to start over and reload WIN 7. And decide if I wanted to do the Win 8 upgrade again later.

Luckily my Office 2010 version was reloaded and the key accepted and I didn't have to buy another copy of that.

Once inside the normal APPS in WIn 8, they seemed to work fine, but not knowing if an app was closed or running in the background etc was bothersome.

Also I missed the cpu Usage gadgets. That is a good indicator of what is going on.
I ran the performance monitor and minimized it to a corner for awhile.

I didn't care for the Windows Mail program . Wouldn't sync with gmail like Thunderbird does using Imap.

My son said he uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it did sync for him but Thunderbird does it just fine and I am use to it.

The included Restore program not working was a killer for me at this time.

If you decide to Upgrade, there are many help pages and complaint pages out there to look over.
I think it would have been nice if they had included a FAQ page in the update that explain the changes and where to find things based on where they were in WIN 7 or XP. If they did, My son and I both missed it.

Also I would recommend getting the CD/Media for the Install, so you would have it in case you need it again.

If the ALL APPS button had not failed, I would have stuck with it, but would not have know the RESTORE function did not work, at least in my configuration. I had no extra apps loaded that should have affected system functions at the time of the failure.

Last edited:
Back