• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

down throtteling and huge fps drops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Backmeister

Registered
Hi fella pc users!

i currently started playing Final Fantasy 14 and after 2 minutes of game play my fps drops to 5 fps (from 90) and its unplayable(it goes from 90 to5 and then shots back up to 90 after so many seconds). so i chose to ignore it since the game is in beta and i thought it was some server lagg or whatever. i t hapend again and i then took to my trusted friend "CPU_Z" to chek what was going on. with the game open and while standing still the Multiplier and the core speed/voltage drops like mad for 20 seconds and then pop back up. its not only in this game, this happends when im watching streams or playing other game aswell.

Before drop:
core volt:1.380
core speed: 4118
Multi: 20.5

After drop
core volt: 0.800
core speed: 1.600
Multi: 7 or 8 (cant remeber)

Rig
Mobo: gigabyte 970a DS3
Ram 8gb
Hdd: 500gb not near full (formated pc yesterday to avoid stuff liek this)
GFX: GTX 660
CPU: AMD FX 8350 8 core 4.0ghz
650W PSU

what ive tested
*Change power setting to Max performance
*changed the resolution in game - max or low nothing matters
*turned on and off vertical sync
*turned off cool and quite
*turned off C1E (or whatever its called in bios)
*checked the temps - under load(50% while gaming) 55-60 celcius
*reformated pc
*reinstalled the game
*reinstalled drivers to gfx card
*recently changed from stock fan to a third party: https://www.inet.se/files/img/max/5322078_5.png
(can i have put too much paste on the cooler? i put a VERY thin layer on the cooler and thicker layer on the cpu itself. not ALOT but there is a layer there.)

Where can i go from here?
should i reformate again and pick apart the whole pc and put it back together again ? it doesnt seen that the cpu is over heating since it stays around 55-60 degrees.

Mobo: gigabyte 970a DS3 and CPU: AMD FX 8350 8 core 4.0ghz together are the most likely
problem and most especially so if the FF14 is a cpu intensive game. The power the cpu is drawing is causing the VRM protection circuit to throttle the cpu to protect the VRM circuit.

Yeah, that CPU just draws too much power for that motherboard. Need something with an 8+2 VRM, not a 4+1 VRM.

Mobo: gigabyte 970a DS3 and CPU: AMD FX 8350 8 core 4.0ghz together are the most likely
problem and most especially so if the FF14 is a cpu intensive game. The power the cpu is drawing is causing the VRM protection circuit to throttle the cpu to protect the VRM circuit.

well i bought the cpu/mobo/ram in a package from the "bigest" supplier of pc parts where i live so if what u are saying is correct, they put a cpu thats not compatible together with the motherboeard in the package ?

When y0u turn off those settings the cpu is no longer running as it was designed.

Then when you:
You are again defeating the provisions of the motherboard to run that 8 core cpu without possible issues. I would imagine with those changes you have forced the cpu to run all 8 cores ALL the time and that is n0t how it was designed to run and again can create issues with the cheapAzz boards. Otherwise the board would probably work fine to an extent.
RGone...

When y0u turn off those settings the cpu is no longer running as it was designed.

Then when you:
You are again defeating the provisions of the motherboard to run that 8 core cpu without possible issues. I would imagine with those changes you have forced the cpu to run all 8 cores ALL the time and that is n0t how it was designed to run and again can create issues with the cheapAzz boards. Otherwise the board would probably work fine to an extent.
RGone...

well obviously i had everything at "ON" before this started to happen.i did some google research and those were the tips i got. to turn off those settings but it didnt help either.
and the multi and the core speed i have not tampered with. those are the setting the cpu came with,. i havent touched those numbers in any way, shape or form.

and u are 100% possitive of this ? cause it came as a package deal from the local supplier.

Yes, we see issues daily with 8 core FX processors on boards with weak VRM sections. Even with high overclock 6 core FX processors.

The cheapest board with 8+2 is mine, the GA-970A-UD3. There's also a list of motherboard VRM setups here, as well as a recommended/not recommended for overclocking.

Also, this is what that link says about your current board:

VRM Databse said:
GA-970A-DS3 | 4+1 | No heatsink | Throttling at 90C - NO 125W Vishera FX support

Also, this is what that link says about your current board:

u have been a massive help for me. although my CPU never reacher 90c buyt throttles anyway... atleast my HW monitor says max is 60c under 70% load.

i will link that statement to the supplier and demand a new board. looking at cpuz now my cpu is 125W.. so thanks alot for that!

Its not the CPU that needs to reach 90C, its the VRM.

oh ok, anyway i can check those temps in hw monitor ? and second question, is the mobo i linked before any good ? i wont do any high end overclocking. maybe tweak just a little bit.

and the multi and the core speed i have not tampered with. those are the setting the cpu came with,. i havent touched those numbers in any way, shape or form.

Multi: 20.5 is not default as you could read in bios or at idle in HWMonitor.

Model number FX-8350
CPU part numbers
FD8350FRW8KHK is an OEM/tray microprocessor
FD8350FRHKBOX is a boxed microprocessor
Frequency 4000 MHz is 20 x 200 = 4,000Mhz.

if your just gamming try just disabling 2 modules and run it as a 4 core this will reduce the load on the vrm.
you will only find info on power phasing at the motherboards home web site.
90 degrees c is the vrm shut down temp.

oh ok, anyway i can check those temps in hw monitor ? and second question, is the mobo i linked before any good ? i wont do any high end overclocking. maybe tweak just a little bit.

Mobo: gigabyte 970a DS3 in HWMonitor likely does not show VRM temps. Many do not. Without seeing a capture of HWMonitor there is no real way to know. Most of us have not nor ever actually see that mobo. FX processors are what are selling now and I surely would not use my money to get that board and an FX. Well make that unlikely to ever use that board and FX processor. Never saying never is a good way to be forced to do somethng. Shett happens.

/Motherboards/M5A99X_EVO_R20/ = Should do okay as a mobo up to about 4.5Ghz "IF" the cpu has good cooling. It normally is not good up to 4.8Ghz where I do my video editting on CHV with FX-8350.

Multi: 20.5 is not default as you could read in bios or at idle in HWMonitor.

Model number FX-8350
CPU part numbers
FD8350FRW8KHK is an OEM/tray microprocessor
FD8350FRHKBOX is a boxed microprocessor
Frequency 4000 MHz is 20 x 200 = 4,000Mhz.

thats really strange :S cause i havent tampered with any of the settings in bios except the cool and quite and the stuff i know what it is. the multi i havent touched. i just reset the biod and it still says 20.5 (7-21). atm its steady and its 20.5. doest move. until it dips down to 7.

i see. so what mobo would u recomend for the average user? i found this which fits my budget. i cant find any info about 8+2 on it though. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A99X_EVO_R20/
I had my 8350 on the 1st version of the board you linked. It will run fine on it at stock to mild overclocks, 4.4 ish. The board is a 6+2 Vrm design and does have Heatsinks. Though I don't know what changes they made on the R 2.0 version so it may be different. As ATMINSIDE said the 970a UD3 Gigabyte board has the guts to run the 8350 and is the least expensive board that most of us would consider running these Fx 6 and 8 series chips on.

Back