• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

down throtteling and huge fps drops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1. Look for Quick Links above right and go to EDIT SIgnature and make a signature like you see at the bottom of my posts so that we can tell what the heck is in play now.

2. Are we to assume you are using the cpu cooler that came in the box with the FX-8350 or did I miss something? A good reason to have a signature.

3. Do you plan to overclock the cpu any and thus for 'certain' need to get a much better cooler for that 8 core cpu?

4. Cannot remember other than you referrring to gaming as what you do with the computer? Cpu Mhz is king. You could even disable a couple of "modules" so the cpu could run faster without so much heat.

5. This is n0t the weak 970 mobo without enough VRM phases. It would be the least of the boards that I would choose to use. it is not the same caliber as the Asrock 990FX EXT9 board but should do okay up to about 4.4/4.5Ghz if you have enough cpu and case cooling. The Asrock 990FX EXT9 board by all reports is a very good motherboard for "really" pushing an 8 core FX processor.

Asrock AMD Motherboard : ASRock 990FX Extreme4
ASRock 990FX Extreme4. Description; CHIPSET: NORTH BRIDGE : AMD 990FX ... - Digi Power Design - Advanced V8 + 2 Power Phase Design - Supports CPU up to 140W TDP.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157266

There has been so much turmoil with the latest Gigabyte 990FX/X in UD3 and UD5 versions that I just cannot seem to make myself suggest them.

RGone...

everything u asked there has been answered mate. i even have all your queastions in my first post (except the overclocking part). ill write them again.

*2 - using a third party cooler. link is in my post.
*3 - not planing to overclock, might tweak it alittle but i wont push it for sure.
*4 - only gaming, nothing else
*5 - cant afford the motherboard u are talking aobut. the one i linked is the budget im looking for.

Ah I see. We have to go all the way back to the first post on our time to try and find out what pieces you have and the picture in a link does not specifiy the cpu cooler by name or model. Good.

Buy what the budget allows then. You have already bought by budget once. Maybe it will work again. Good luck to you mate.

Ah I see. We have to go all the way back to the first post on our time to try and find out what pieces you have and the picture in a link does not specifiy the cpu cooler by name or model. Good.

Buy what the budget allows then. You have already bought by budget once. Maybe it will work again. Good luck to you mate.

either u can go back or u can simply read the first post i made in the first place. :) but i can make a signature, np

That helps us help you a lot better. You're not the only person we're helping and trying to keep everyone's pieces straight is a pain in the azz. The sig is just a ton easier!

That helps us help you a lot better. You're not the only person we're helping and trying to keep everyone's pieces straight is a pain in the azz. The sig is just a ton easier!

yeah i hear ya :) ill set the sig up

yeah im not sure where this thread turned into a 6300 discussion but w/e :p so what mother board do u recommend for the FX 8350 ?

If you ask me buy Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0. But the question is what is your budget......

P.S: Don't buy Asus Sabertooth 990fx GEN3 R.2.0 mobo.As i heard it have some very nasty problems...

If you ask me buy Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0. But the question is what is your budget......

P.S: Don't buy Asus Sabertooth 990fx GEN3 R.2.0 mobo.As i heard it have some very nasty problems...

budget is like 150 bucks =)

Hm your 40$ short... Well in that case i would buy ASRock 990FX Extreme4 that board have 8+2 power phase. And as i am aware it is awesome board.

I think I have aleady linked him to that 990FX EXT4 and he said it was still out of his budget.
RGone...

@RGone- Maybe his budget went up in the meantime :thup:

I heard that. Budget needs to go up if he is going to overclock an 8 core FX-8350 to get some of the real performance out of it.

The problem comes when you turn the green off and turn off turbocore and change the multiplier and the cpu goes into ALL 8 cores on ALL the time and that is n0t how AMD designed the FX processor to run. Normally an FX 8 core sees all 8 cores about "maybe" 15% of the time. Maybe. I have seen my FX-8350 go 8 cores for a part of a minute and then begin to clock itself down. Working like that a lesser board might be okay for awhile. But I run my FX-8350 overclocked and then it is either idling OR runnnig 8 cores ALL on and doing serious work. That brings on he HEAT and power draw thru the mosfets and serious labor for the VRM circuit.
RGone...

Last edited:
I heard that. Budget needs to go up if he is going to overclock an 8 core FX-8350 to get some of the real performance out of it.

The problem comes when you turn the green off and turn off turbocore and change the multiplier and the cpu goes into ALL 8 cores on ALL the time and that is n0t how AMD designed the FX processor to run. Normally an FX 8 core sees all 8 cores about "maybe" 15% of the time. Maybe. I have seen my FX-8350 go 8 cores for a part of a minute and the begin to clock itself down. Working like that a lesser board might be okay for awhile. But I run my FX-8350 overclocked and then it is either idling OR runnnig 8 cores ALL on and doing serious work. That brings on he HEAT and power draw thru the mosfets and serious labor for the VRM circuit.
RGone...

+1

on my fx processors I run all the green stuff on most of the time, it keeps the rigs cooler and the cooling systems quieter.
I have profiles saved that I just load and the things are preset locked for 8 or four cores.
my 6300 game profile for one game is 5.0 on four cores, the game can't use all six.
the other is all 6 cores at 4.9 and all the green stuff off and I use this one for number crunching.

Back