• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

down throtteling and huge fps drops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
power phasing is 6+2+2 on the m5a99x, thats still a little short for the 8 cores.
if you look at the graphic at the bottom of the asus page it tells you in the notes about the features.
if your going to game with this cpu you can bank on overclocking it, you have to.

Mobo: gigabyte 970a DS3 in HWMonitor likely does not show VRM temps. Many do not. Without seeing a capture of HWMonitor there is no real way to know. Most of us have not nor ever actually see that mobo. FX processors are what are selling now and I surely would not use my money to get that board and an FX. Well make that unlikely to ever use that board and FX processor. Never saying never is a good way to be forced to do somethng. Shett happens.

/Motherboards/M5A99X_EVO_R20/ = Should do okay as a mobo up to about 4.5Ghz "IF" the cpu has good cooling. It normally is not good up to 4.8Ghz where I do my video editting on CHV with FX-8350.

i see. yeah they sold me the mobo/cpu/ram as a package deal. since its a legit company i assumed they knew that everything fits. guess i was wrong. ill buy the M5A99x EVO r20 then :) thank you

power phasing is 6+2+2 on the m5a99x, thats still a little short for the 8 cores.
if you look at the graphic at the bottom of the asus page it tells you in the notes about the features.
if your going to game with this cpu you can bank on overclocking it, you have to.

so i really have to overclock it ? why is that ? i thought this CPU was good enough as it came :S any particualr reason i have to clock it ?

You don't HAVE to, per-se, you can simply get better performance with an overclock.

My FX-6300 is running 4.4GHz for that reason.

You don't HAVE to, per-se, you can simply get better performance with an overclock.

My FX-6300 is running 4.4GHz for that reason.

yeah ofc i will get better performance. but i felt like that processor would be able to handle "lighter" games w/o overclocking it thats why i have been clocking :) but now when this happend i was abit stunned, and i still dont know why the multi is set to 20.5 after i reset the bois... even took the battery out.

4.9 is a 24/7 and gamming clock, light processor loadings.
I was doing some very heavy, pure numbers crunching, 100% cpu loadings for hours on end with my 8 core rig and had to through the 6300 rig in to help carry the load.
under linux the best clock for it was in the low 4.0-4.4's right where my 8120 works it's best perhaps 200 mgz over the 8120.

I'm running 1.475 with LLC, I figured it'd be a good bit higher than mine lol.

I really do think my 6300 is a good little processor, I can lean on the poor little thing pretty hard.
I ran it about 48 hours straight at 100% load under linux with the temps just under shut down the only breaks it had was for drive swaps and it and the sabertooth really came through.
I wish I had monitors for linux because I had to run it, let it reach shut down, declock it and fire it off again till i found a speed it would haul the load at.

It is definitely a tank, and I've been very happy with my board being able to support it while running that hard too!

yours show pretty good, on a ud3 board at that.
have you really pushed it crunching numbers?

I have found p95 to be just a little light, under linux when i get to crunching real hard I have to down clock it and give about two bumps of vcore.

For a general use rig, I think Prime does good. For something like Seti or F@H I don't think it's enough.

caddi_caddi does not spare the rod at all. He has real work to do and he hammers the dog pee out of his FX stuff. Days and days of 100% loading. But that is not gaming. It is probably twice as hard. For most games today about 4 cores and a bunch of Cpu Mhz are what it takes to make an FX game. Without Cpu Mhz the things just fall too far behind Intel.
RGone...

PS: good discussion on the FX-6300, you guys.

yeah im not sure where this thread turned into a 6300 discussion but w/e :p so what mother board do u recommend for the FX 8350 ?

yeah im not sure where this thread turned into a 6300 discussion but w/e :p so what mother board do u recommend for the FX 8350 ?

1. Look for Quick Links above right and go to EDIT SIgnature and make a signature like you see at the bottom of my posts so that we can tell what the heck is in play now.

2. Are we to assume you are using the cpu cooler that came in the box with the FX-8350 or did I miss something? A good reason to have a signature.

3. Do you plan to overclock the cpu any and thus for 'certain' need to get a much better cooler for that 8 core cpu?

4. Cannot remember other than you referrring to gaming as what you do with the computer? Cpu Mhz is king. You could even disable a couple of "modules" so the cpu could run faster without so much heat.

5. This is n0t the weak 970 mobo without enough VRM phases. It would be the least of the boards that I would choose to use. it is not the same caliber as the Asrock 990FX EXT9 board but should do okay up to about 4.4/4.5Ghz if you have enough cpu and case cooling. The Asrock 990FX EXT9 board by all reports is a very good motherboard for "really" pushing an 8 core FX processor.

Asrock AMD Motherboard : ASRock 990FX Extreme4
ASRock 990FX Extreme4. Description; CHIPSET: NORTH BRIDGE : AMD 990FX ... - Digi Power Design - Advanced V8 + 2 Power Phase Design - Supports CPU up to 140W TDP.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157266

There has been so much turmoil with the latest Gigabyte 990FX/X in UD3 and UD5 versions that I just cannot seem to make myself suggest them.

RGone...

Back