• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drain loop with shop vac?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

Taking the pumps out of the equation, wouldn't this be a quick way to drain most of the water from your loop? What harm can it do without the pumps being sucked too?

Let gravity take its toll. ;) And of course with your assistance.

loosen the top & bottom hoses and blow the water out.... just make sure to have a bite of pastrami sandwich between blows... refill, dont use biocide.... make sure loop is exposed to day/sunlight.... in a week or so, you can call yourself a god :D

PS: Pastrami is NOT crucial to create life, its just what i was having when i wrote this :)

PS: Pastrami is NOT crucial to create life, its just what i was having when i wrote this :)

I'm pleased pastrami isnt essential to sustain life too :rofl:

For a few weeks I've wanted a kebapchi but its a 3600mile round trip to get one. Lol

To the op... Im all for creative solutions but as people say... Break the loop at a low point and gravity will do 75% of the job.

Stick tissue in the ends of the rads when you take them out to avoid spillage on the hardware.

As you say it could be a quick way but respect the pumps.

It's for you to deliberate on :salute:

Kebapchies are in no way influential to my post... Rum is :beer:

Would be fine so long as the negative pressure doesn't cause your radiator to cave in... which I highly doubt it would be. But not necessary. Beneficial? Not sure.

I usually let gravity give it a go, then shake out the parts individually. Sunlight would help dry em out, or blow compressed air though. Also, I'd leave the pump hooked up. I doubt the vacuum would cause a water pump impeller to rotate...

Makes me wonder curious... I have three rads doing nothing. Should I be the canary down the mine and cap a triple 120 to see if I can make it fold with an industrial vac?

I also have an heavy duty steam cleaner... So I can experiment with killing it to remove dust bunnies too.

Whats junk to one man is anothers treasure...

Vote now!?

Dust bunnies... Check!
DSC_0095.JPG

Steam mc clean... Check!
DSC_0097.JPG

1000w wet 'n dry... Check!
DSC_0096.JPG

Heh... Experiment a go go :D

Lets Go! :D

DSC_0099.JPG

DSC_0101.JPG

DSC_0102.JPG

DSC_0105.JPG

DSC_0108.JPG

DSC_0110.JPG

Phase one... Steam McCleaned :thup:
Dont use a brass brush head... Some paint flaked off fins. Use nylon brush :thup:

:salute:

Now im going to finish my cooling coffee then look for some parts to cap the rad and have a go at collapsing it :salute:

Edit: will a thousand watts industrial vac collaps the rad?

Bet now!

Lol

If my vacs dies first will someone buy the other two rads? :rofl:

They'll be like new with a steam clean.... Wear face goggles and ear defenders. Maybe gloves too... Hot potatoe hot potatoe :rofl:

Sodding country... Play off due to rain :rain: will continue when this shower passes :-/

Note: steaming had no effect on removing the ethyl glycol based coolant I used before I learned better here.
So bear in mind that dye stuffs your rads right up :thup:

+1 for distilled, biocide and/or kill coil ^_^

Capped with around 3 quaters of a meter hose inside the vacs hose... Trusty gaff tape.

DSC_0111.JPG
Left it for three minutes until the motor was read hot from zero airflow. :sly:

DSC_0117.JPG
After 100% fine... No collaps with 1000watts industrial vacume :clap:

Myth busted.... Crud busted! :salute:

Case closed.

It did reveal a small fracture I could never identify back in its operational days!

IMG_20140608_162807.JPG

See the tiny hole underneath the weld for the screw plate... I could never find it while in use.

Dab of filler would sort that out :thup:

So caution with steam and vacs clean... You may remove paint to reveal floors in the welding process during production :thup:

I assure looking at the water marks this was previous damage I put down to a hose leak for a couple of years :-/

Always double check... It used to drip once a week onto my gpu cooling block!

:salute:

Note the butchered louvers was nothing to do with the steam clean... Its just a five/six year old rad... My first real rad :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, but to how much is that vac rated?
can it create more as 1 atm negative?

to blow up a rad one needs anywhere between 1 & 5 bar... but creating a vacuum, i dont know

yeah, but to how much is that vac rated?
can it create more as 1 atm negative?

to blow up a rad one needs anywhere between 1 & 5 bar... but creating a vacuum, i dont know

Well I shall try to look it up... Wickes only ever made one model. 1000watt heavy duty wet n dry vacuum picks up mortar and chunks of house brick. Fair to say if the loops open its very unlikely to collapse any rads.

Power Input: 1250W, AC 230V~50Hz
- Max Air Flow: 1.8m3 per minute
- Tank Size: 20L

That's the new version spec. They took them off from sales for a while and due to popular demand started sales a couple of years later

About 7 or 8 bar. Open ended with 20l of buffer.
Vague guess

I can set it to blow see if it pops :rofl:
May be as low as 1.5 bar being a vacuum/blower.

No way to stay compressed or decompressed without a valve mechanism.
So I don't think you could implode a rad with even an industrial vacuum

Nope... The air just came out the motor vents on blow... Dust 'n crap in my eyes now. Cheers... Lol

Safe because it's not a compressor or vacuum pump in the context and bar your thinking along the lines of :)

Your fluid would empty in about 20 seconds with this thing attached.

Edit: I'm off for a shower after that test... My skin is crawling (probably with dust mites)
Err :-/

Only final thing I can do is measure the bar with a meter. Which I don't have but could borrow. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you sir have certainly gone the extra step with answering the OP's question, haha. Suck away everybody!

After reading some of your recent posts, I considered the first two conditions possible :p

But, will it blend??

Bobby bobby bobby........ :facepalm: :bang head

First of this is the biggest hijacking I've seen of a thread in a while. I think the last time it was someone who was either a spammer or hacked account and got banned.

Create your own thread next time. Try keeping your answers to a response instead of flooding the place up.

Feel like this thread has gone to waste. Great info but you totally threw the OP out the window.

All this back and forth personal life stuff doesn't belong either. We're in the H20 thread guys. Go to the generals tab and have a fest. Common folks!

:temper:

Sorry about that OP. Back to you.

!deleted posts!

OP: i would just let gravity do it`s thing maybe with a little help of blowing some air at the highest point

You're going to get nabbed for that comment Bobby. We don't talk like that around here. He makes a valid point about threadjacking, but, I agree that the question IS already answered: It is safe. Going off topic isn't harmful, but err... a little more on topic, and consolidated posts is recommended ;)

Sweet jesus people... what happened in here? Bobby, enough of your quadruple SEVEN posts in a row seemingly drunken ramblings man... Seriously! :shrug: :thup:

Back on topic please people! (and don't comment on this post, just move on).

EDIT: Cleaned up this darn mess... wow...

Last edited:
Back