• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drain port problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Once_Mina

Hi, I just finished my first custom water cooling build but the drain port that i set up is not working. When the tap is opened, only the water from the Reservoir are drained out and others just stuck inside the loop. I have placed the drain port on the bottom of my loop but whey is this happening? Any suggestion so that I can clean my loop easily without taking the tubes off?

Attachments

• 20170901_220821_LI (2).jpg
    20170901_220821_LI (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
  • 20170901_220831_LI (2).jpg
    20170901_220831_LI (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
One issue I see is that the outlet to the front panel radiator is at the top of the radiator. Nothing going to drain out of that radiator. And because your outlets on the GPU water block is also at the top then the coolant in that block will not drain either. And then there is the CPU block which is lower than it's outlets also. No mystery there. All of you outlet hoses need to have an exit terminus point that is lower than the devices you are draining. You can accomplish the same thing by just repeatedly adding clean distilled water, powering the pump and flushing several times. What would be ideal would be some kind of a fill tube and port at the highest point of the system. Some radiators have more than one set of orifices either on the top and bottom side of the tank or one side and the end of the tank that can be used for this purpose.

Last edited:
I concur - You have several water traps there and the water in the blocks or areas described has no way of getting out via gravity alone.

It's the same thing as a P trap to your sink, although it has an inlet and outlet the water in the elbow or bend part of it remains because it's trapped due to this part being lower than both the inlet and outlets. Same basic thing here and the only real way to completely get it out is to remove the components or maybe take the case and flip it around to make it come out.
However doing a flush as suggested is the best way to deal with this, less trouble than busting it all apart for cleaning old water from it.

One issue I see is that the outlet to the front panel radiator is at the top of the radiator. Nothing going to drain out of that radiator. And because your outlets on the GPU water block is also at the top then the coolant in that block will not drain either. And then there is the CPU block which is lower than it's outlets also. No mystery there. All of you outlet hoses need to have an exit terminus point that is lower than the devices you are draining. You can accomplish the same thing by just repeatedly adding clean distilled water, powering the pump and flushing several times. What would be ideal would be some kind of a fill tube and port at the highest point of the system. Some radiators have more than one set of orifices either on the top and bottom side of the tank or one side and the end of the tank that can be used for this purpose.

I concur - You have several water traps there and the water in the blocks or areas described has no way of getting out via gravity alone.

It's the same thing as a P trap to your sink, although it has an inlet and outlet the water in the elbow or bend part of it remains because it's trapped due to this part being lower than both the inlet and outlets. Same basic thing here and the only real way to completely get it out is to remove the components or maybe take the case and flip it around to make it come out.
However doing a flush as suggested is the best way to deal with this, less trouble than busting it all apart for cleaning old water from it.

I see... Iguess have no choice but to flush the system few times then, thanks for the advise! :)

Last edited:
Back