• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dremel (Rotary) Tool Recommendation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

intx

What kind of dremel tool should I get for modding a few fan holes/ducts into a basic steel/metal case?

Can cordless dremels do the job? It would be more convenient considering I don't have a workshop to do this in. How high speeds or what ranges will I need?

Most people say Dremel lasts the longest, but do I really need a 'dremel' branded tool? Dremel's tools range from $100-300, yet King makes a rotary tool that's only $30 and comes with a flex-shaft! (http://oemproamtools.com/King/8353.htm) If I'm not going to use it that often, would it do fine? It's sure is a lot cheaper that I could buy a new one if it breaks.

What are speeds like 5,000rpm for? If I wanted to polish the bottom of a heatsink, would it have to be less than 10000rpm?

Thanks for your advice

Get a basic Dremel MultiPro or an B&D RTX. Most dremel kits run under $100. The 3961 kit is about $60 at most stores but does not include a flexshaft. You can pick up a RTX for about $40.

Back