• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Droop mod / Vdimm mod on P4P800 problems. Can anyone figure this out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeafinONEear

So I've done both the Vdimm mod and the droop mod for the P4P800. I was originally going to only do the droop but since I was in there I figured "hey, what the hell, we're here and opened wide, lets take care of this on all ends..." ..... no snickering allowed.

The problem is that I get random restarts now, even when only at 3.3G (look at my sig for what's going on). I've even upped the Vcore to 1.75V, something that isn't really needed for the processor.

What I'm worried about is that I'm thinking that all those pictures I've seen of other people doing the mod it seems that they're on Rev. 1 boards, whereas I'm on a 2.x board, though the layouts didn't look all that different. While I really would have liked a circuit diagram that's of course not possible, so I tried what I could with what was available.

The result seems to be that the putting a 30K resistor in the Vdimm circuit raised the voltage .2V (which is weird as other were reporting a .3V raise with the use of a 30K resistor), and the Vcore now has a ±.016V fluctuation (MUCH better than the ±.15V fluctuation I was getting) with a .075V raise.

Now unfortunately I'm realizing that 3.3~3.4 is about all I'm going to get out of this 2.8c (kinda lame), so I guess I really don't need the extra voltage going to the Vdimm as it's PC4200 that's supposed to run at abut 2.6/7 anyway, so I'm fine getting rid of that-- easy enough. But has anyone actually had problems with the droop mod on a Rev. 2.x

board? Anyone with a Rev. 2 board ever do this?

I hate the smell of defeat-- tell me it aint so!

On this mobo any vcore settings above (I think this number is correct, but don't quote me) about 1.7 have no actual effect, and there is a known bios bug for the vcore settings from 1.625 to like 1.675.

if that's the case, what is CPUz measuring? Is that just some kind of estimate of power consumption?
And how would that be effecting my restart problem as I hadn't been getting it before...
Also, what bios are you using?
Thanks for the reply.

I know, but it's all in the name of glory, right? ;)

I'm hoping that seeing as how this is a SL6Z5 that the EE cores can take more heat than normal northwoods, though, yes, it is scary.

Re cpu-z: which setting are we talkin here?

Bios 1016(I believe thats the latest).

Are the restarts after windows is loaded?

If yes, what video card?...ATI?...corrupt driver problem.

The cause of SNDS is not necessarily heat. Heat shouldn't be much of an issue with a P4 due to thermal throttling. It's voltage that kills.

I have 2 P4C800E-dlx'es, both rev 2 (one silkscreened rev2, one with a sticker.) I have not noticed any difference in the boards but I have not done a super careful inspection.

I have performed the Droop mod on my silkscreen rev2 board and am not getting any lockups or reboots so your issue is probably related to something else. Make sure you inspect your solder joints very carefully under magnification to make sure there are no shorts or loose connections, etc. Also make sure that your cooling solution is not stretching or straining the wires you used to solder the resistor.

I noticed after I did my mod that the wires would slightly touch the CPU retainer when I screwed it back into the board. So I redid the mod to have the wires be more "low profile".

Reboots aside, Your voltages and results seem pretty inline with what they should be. You may just have a mediocre 2.8 there... my 2.8s have never done that well (m0 cores) and 3.4 was the best I ever got from a 2.8. I dont recommend anything over 1.7vcore and preferably stay under 1.675. What Grandpa Dan said is true about the BIOS bugs in Asus' with 1.625~1.675 vcores, it acts weird, less so after the droop mod but still weird. 1.600 is a much more "stable" voltage to use if you can.

HTH, good luck and post back if your problem gets better/worse:p

Back