• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel Kit or Quad Channel Kit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The model numbers seem to be slightly different:(
According to Amazon one I bought is KHX18C9T2K2/8X
The cheaper one is HX318C9T2K2/8

Don't suppose they accidently missed out the K at the start and the X at the end? lol

EDIT:
The cheaper one is the newer version according to Amazon...

Last edited:
I would get the one that matches the kit you already have. Mismatching memory can cause weird, unforeseeable issues that can be avoided this way.

However, if you aren't running an X79 system, you won't really be running quad channel (instead, you'll be running two dual channel), so you might be able to get away with the cheaper kit IF your motherboard supports separate timings for both pairs of memory, and you make sure to install each kit in matching channels.

Still, the safer bet is to get the matching kit.

You have quad channel platform so look for 2x4GB predator - should be still the same or almost the same as all were on new Hynix CFR/MFR. You can also sell your 2x4GB kit and look for 4x4GB as there is no guarantee that Kingston is using the same memory chips in new kits.

Thanks guys, I think I will go for the 4x4GB of the new version and sell my 2x4GB. The price difference between getting another 2x4GB of the old version and 4x4GB of the new one is not that much. But I wonder why the new version cost less...I hope the performance is the same if not better.

So long as the speed and timings are the same, there wouldn't be a performance difference.

Back