• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JPetrillo

What's it mean when someone is talking about a CPU and they say something like, "So, thats what you can expect if you get this chip and run it in dual channel"

I know, I'm n00b hehe

They would probably be referring to dual channel memory. Some boards support dual memory channels, some only a single channel. For instance on a dual channel board, if you want to run 1 GB of ram, it would be better to run 2 512 MB sticks instead of a single 1 GB stick, because the two sticks could take advantage of the dual channels.

That is kinda what I thought... but wasnt sure.

So I'm getting the ABIT NF7-S nForce2. It sys RAM: 3x DIMM for DDR333/266 Max 3GB, 2x DIMM for DDR400 Max 2GB - So It would be best to get DDR400 RAM and only use the two slots on the mobo and forget the 3rd is there and get something like 256MB*2 DDR400?

The speed increase of running in dual-channel mode is not huge. Instead of buying two 256 sticks now to run in dual-channel, I would buy one 512 stick now, save up some more money, then buy another 512 stick so you have 1GB in dual channel.

Thanks Snagle, that does sound a lot better I guess for the long run when I will eventaully try to water cool it and push it even more :)

Dual channel memory access is available on Socket 940 and 939 based Athlon64s, some socket A chipsets, and some Intel chipsets.

The memory controller on these boards (or in the Athlon64s case, the CPUs memory controller) can access two sticks of RAM at the same time. Thus runniong two sticks of RAM in a dual channel supporting system will allow for a small increase in performance and memory bandwidth. This performance increase is around 10% usually afaik.

well, it would be better to get 2*512MB ;)
but just get two similar sticks of ram (like you said 2*256).
on the NF7 S you need to use the first and the third DIMM slot for dual channel.
normal PC3200 ram has 3,2Gb/s maximum datarate, and with dual channel its 6,4Gb/s. Of course you'll only get about 70% of effective bandwidth: ~4,5Gb/s and the cpu can't use all of it, so like said above its about 10% advantage over single channel.
Maybe more maybe less.
But as I said in the first line.. if you could afford it you should really get 1Gb of ram 512Mb is almost too little for win xp to perform nicely.

Thanks guys. Yeah Lifthanger, I know 512 is kinda low, but I wanted to do dual channel and dont have the money to get 2 512's right now, so I'll have to either do what you said about 2 256's for now or just one 512 and then run dual channel once I get the 2nd 512.

So on that board the 3rd DIMM is seperate from the other 1st 2 DIMMS, to run dual channel I would use DIMM slot 1 and DIMM slot 2, so the one that is 1st and then the 3rd that is seperated from the other two, correct?

The CPU + Mobo is only about $180.00 - I'll probably get 2 512's PC3200, now... what brand?! lol - I have good luck with Crucial, so I'll probably get that, but I've never really O/C'ed too much before, so maybe there are a couple better brands just in a O/C'ers eyes.

512 isnt low for WinXP to perform nicely. 512 is fine for most games now (except far cry, doom3, and future games). So i would buy 1gb for the future.

I wouldnt go any lower than 512 with XP though, because 512 is my cut-off I consider it "kinda low" ;)

If you could afford 2*512 just get them, if not take 1*512 and wait for the next.
you should use the first and the third dimm slot, leaving the one in the middle free. 1Gb gives a big performance increase for windows and most games, I know what I'm talking about, because I've just bought my second 512MB stick.
On the first day with 1GB I was just sitting there with mouth wide open. the money was very well spent.

haha lift :) yeah, I'm getting 1gig of OCZ EB (2x512) - I'll run it dual channel, one in the 1st slot and one in the 3rd slot like you said :)

you'll see if they are the right slots, at the post screen it says in bold letters: "Dual Channel enabled".
Wow at first you didn't want to spent the money to get a gig and now you've got a gig of high quality ram.. very nice. :)

Yes you're right, I thought and thought about it. I really dont want to spend it, but hey... I figured if I spend it now I wont have to later... for at least a while anyways :)

Back