• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual monitors - vga and dvi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jnev_89

hey guys, this may seem like a stupid question but i was wondering if it was possible to run dual monitors if one was vga and the other was dvi? if need be my 2005fpw can run vga as well. the other monitor is a 17" samsung 710N. my video card is a 6600gt with one dvi-out and one vga-out. are there adapters out there that i can run?

also on an unrelated note, my 2005fpw has a bunch of crap on the screen (spots/smudges/fingerprints). what's the best way to clean them off. i tried a wet rag and it didn't really work...

thanks

yep just boot with them both plugged in and windows will extend itself to the second monitor by default. You can change a bunch of options in the windows display properties and the forceware drivers, however if you want more functionality I'd check out ultramon.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

If you have any trouble getting Windows to detect that you're using dual monitors, check off the force TV detection box in the troubleshooting section of the driver control panel.

As far as cleaning the monitor, if a wet rag doesn't work the easiest thing to do would probably be to pick up a cheap LCD cleaning kit from a store near you.

jnev_89 said:
hey guys, this may seem like a stupid question but i was wondering if it was possible to run dual monitors if one was vga and the other was dvi? if need be my 2005fpw can run vga as well. the other monitor is a 17" samsung 710N. my video card is a 6600gt with one dvi-out and one vga-out. are there adapters out there that i can run?

also on an unrelated note, my 2005fpw has a bunch of crap on the screen (spots/smudges/fingerprints). what's the best way to clean them off. i tried a wet rag and it didn't really work...

thanks
I'm doing that right now. :D

I use a microfiber towel with a 50/50 rubbing alcohol/water solution.

so i can run with one monitor plugged into my vga port and one plugged into my dvi port? (just making sure that that's what you guys were referring to...)

thanks

jnev_89 said:
so i can run with one monitor plugged into my vga port and one plugged into my dvi port? (just making sure that that's what you guys were referring to...)

thanks
Yes. You can even tell it whether you want to extend your desktop from one onto the other(so you can drag stuff between them and such) or if you want them both to show the same thing(although I don't know what the point of that would be) I have dvi to my lcd and my desktop extended to my tv with the s-vid out. I haven't tried doing all 3 yet. Then I could have a HUGE desktop!

hey, i just picked up my first lcd (vx922), and im wondering why i can't just spray windex on a paper towel first then wipe down the screen?

sno.lcn said:
Yes. You can even tell it whether you want to extend your desktop from one onto the other(so you can drag stuff between them and such) or if you want them both to show the same thing(although I don't know what the point of that would be) I have dvi to my lcd and my desktop extended to my tv with the s-vid out. I haven't tried doing all 3 yet. Then I could have a HUGE desktop!

woops, i kind of forgot about this thread haha :bang head

anyways, i'll try this out probably tomorrow and let you all know how it works.

thanks!

I've got a dual head setup with one on DVI and the other VGA. It works fine. I decided to go back to a CRT for gaming and I still use my LCD for everything else. The best of both worlds I suppose.

Back