• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual processing? Pffft! Try quadruple processing!!! Holy moly!b

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ToiletDuck said:
win2k3 games great and windowsXP can see up to 32 processors. So you could still run it.

XP Pro can handle 2 processors. For 4, you'd need NT Server, 2000 Server, 2003 Server(not the Webserver version, only 2 processors). The only Windows OS that can handle 32 processors are Datacenter versions of 2000 Server and 2003 Server. These are not available retail boxed and are sold only by OEMs with qualifying hardware.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/datacenter/evaluation/business/overview/default.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/datacenter.mspx

Wow...4 CPU's is pushing it...imagine the heat that thing would put out.. :drool:

just wait until the new dual core chips come out and you can have 8 effective processors using the same hardware.

There are times I have 16 smp aware apps running at once on my dually. I walk away and come back in several hours. I COULD use 4 processors on numerous occasions to speed up my work.
I'm just to poor for that so spending hours and hours waiting on dual bartons at over 2300mhz at 100% is unavoidable for now.

in WinXP pro when i hit ctrl+alt+del i right click on a process to set its affiliation and it shows 32.

The GUI has allocated spaces for 32 locations in that section. The code is reused for all of the 2000/XP OS. The XP Pro OS supports only 2 processors.

I have a quad P3 700 with 2 megs cache on eaach chip. It has Windows XP Pro installed on it and runs fine.

Also I have a Quad P3 550 with 1 meg on each chip and it also has XP Pro on it.

(Last one I promise)
I have a quad NEC server with 4 P3's 550's in it with Win 2003 Enterprise and it runs fine.

When I say P3 I am refering to Xeons. Just so no one comes on here and throws a fit because I did not explain it.

It will run on the machine, but if you check your Task Manager under Performance, you should see 2 boxes to represent the 2 processors that are actually being used on the XP boxes. Server 2003 Enterprise will support up to eight real or virtual CPUs.

lol softgod that would suck just now finding out that you were only using two chips hehehe. Can I have one of the quad boards? I'd love to use it for video encoding.

Nemo said:
That looks nice, but *whew*...with present-day prices and available opterons, it looks like you'd be spending around $1600 JUST for the mobo and processors (and that's with 1.6 Ghz cpus). Throw in that x800XT, and you'd be well over two grand without even looking at ram, hard drives, etc.

I think a system like that will have to wait til I win the lottery. :)

You price is a bit off... for a quad, you need the 8xx (no such thing as 4xx series) series of Opterons, which are very expensive( yet still much cheaper than the Xeon MP's).

Take a look at THIS page for some 8xx series pricing, $800 for the slowest 1.4GHz model, $2200 for the 1.8GHz model. And you need 4 at those prices :eek:

KOXC2003 said:
"what is the best PCI vidcard out today anyways? They dont make 9800pro for pcI do they? =P"
It has a PCI-X, try ATI X800XT Platnium.
PCI-X is not the same as PCI-Express. They are competing standards. PCI-X has been around for awhile while PCI-Express is new.

Standard ........... Bandwidth
-------------------- ------------
PCI 33 MHz 32-bit .. 133 MB/sec
PCI 33 MHz 64-bit .. 266 MB/sec
PCI 66 MHz 64-bit .. 533 MB/sec
PCI-X 66 Mhz ....... 533 MB/sec
PCI-X 100 Mhz ...... 800 MB/sec
PCI-X 133 MHz ...... 1060 MB/sec
PCI-X 266 MHz ...... 2130 MB/sec
PCI-X 533 Mhz ...... 4260 MB/sec
PCI-Express X1 ..... 500 MB/sec
PCI-Express X4 ..... 2000 MB/sec
PCI-Express X8 ..... 4000 MB/sec
PCI-Express X16 .... 8000 MB/sec

ToiletDuck said:
lol softgod that would suck just now finding out that you were only using two chips hehehe. Can I have one of the quad boards? I'd love to use it for video encoding.

A couple of years ago, there was a know-it-all kid on the forums for the game server I help run... he had a duallie P3-800 system he thought was awesome. Not only did he make the mistake of believing that 2 800 mhz processors is the same as one 1.6 Ghz processor in any application you run...but he was using Windows 98, which doesn't even recognize dual CPUs. :D

Back