• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual xeon overclocking help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
here is my system that i am trying to overclock -
iwill dpi533
2 x intel xeon 2.4 533 mhz c1's
2 x 256mb pc3200 ram running 2-6-2-2 (set by spd)

right now i have it overclocked at 18 x 162 = 2916. my goal is to get to 18x 167 stable. right now i am having problems running at 167. i run prime and get errors but the system does boot fine. what could be my problems? i was thinking that ram could be the problem. i am not sure why the ram would have a problem since it is still way under spec. in all reality, i would love to get my system running a lower multiplier and higher fsb to increase my memory bandwidth since it should run fine up to 400 MHz (currently at 326). i have never really messed with the multipliers before and i tried earlier but it wouldn't boot... any help would be appreciated.

Well, I don't know if it will work for you, but......

When I was building the rig in my sig, For some reason I could never get past 210 on my FSB. One day I was messing around and just swapped my memory modules. And BANG!! I got to 220 FSB.

Example - I had stick A in slot 1 and stick b in slot 2. What i did was move stick a to slot 3 and stick b to slot 1. I don't know how the memory config is on your board, but it's just a thought and maybe it will work for you to. Good Luck.

JezterVA said:
Well, I don't know if it will work for you, but......

When I was building the rig in my sig, For some reason I could never get past 210 on my FSB. One day I was messing around and just swapped my memory modules. And BANG!! I got to 220 FSB.

Example - I had stick A in slot 1 and stick b in slot 2. What i did was move stick a to slot 3 and stick b to slot 1. I don't know how the memory config is on your board, but it's just a thought and maybe it will work for you to. Good Luck.

well i have been playing with mem timings and i just realized that i never did a full memtest on the ram at 3.0. i did a memtest and realized that i need to loosen my timings a little. i found that 2.5-2-2-6 worked flawlessly thru all of the tests and i can run 170 x 18 with no problems in prime95 atm... system doesn't boot at 172 though... 170 isn't bad though :)

hopefully i will be ordering some more ram from newegg... http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-520&depa=1
i'd get 2 of course to run in dual channel...

the weird thing is that my memory's bandwidth efficiency is at 48% according to sandra... (then again, i probably shouldn't trust sandra :D)

170 is about the max you will get on that board, I've seen a few 180s over at 2cpu but that is about it.

disk11 said:
170 is about the max you will get on that board, I've seen a few 180s over at 2cpu but that is about it.

650 MHz isn't too bad :) i haven't ventured around 2cpu too much... might have to take a look around more...

Sandra doesn't appear to work real well with the Hyperthreaded duals, EVEREST Home Edition is good for dual Xeons for memory and specs, tried to get a link to the website but they're down for an hour.

Back