• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Xeons Vs FX55

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Take the FX. No reason not too. FYI I have two opteron 240's and I play anygame I want slick as glass and they only run at 1.4ghz standard. Get the 64bit chip and play your heart out.

I don't know about the FX-55, but my workstation is a single Xeon 2.66 and my home box is a single A64 3200+ (both run Gentoo) and the A64 pretty much blows the Xeon out of the water for everything. (Which isn't surprising, a more fair comparison would be to a slower A64)

well sick boy think about it, the 2.66 is not a 64bit chip, and they are meant to work in pairs, not in single, the single version is a normal p4. so that is an unfair comparison, now if we were to compare a Nocona 3.2 Xeon, it bit be a fair comparision.

there is no such thing as a fair comparison. Might as well compar a MAC G5 while at it. Until you get two that are 64bit no real comparison. One has future longivity right out of the back.

there is no such thing as a fair comparison. Might as well compar a MAC G5 while at it. Until you get two that are 64bit no real comparison. One has future longivity right out of the back.

Of course there is, within reason; comparing two systems such as a Dual Xeon rig vs Dual Opterons at a 3dmax render is completely reasonable. Comparing Maya or even Mpeg encoding will likely give different results and thus a different chip brand will be better for certain people based on their requirements. Comparing Duallies for gaming is useless, because unless if they can use more than one CPU then the game is likely to run slower. Tasks will be shared between the two CPU's, and obviously the extra headroom required to take the bus under control will result in slower performance.

To say an Opteron was not designed for games is not strictly true. All of the Athlon 64 chips including Opteron all are all technically the same chip and are equally good for gaming, it's just that you have to draw the line somewhere before you're going to hit a point where gaming performance can no longer increase. So if you grab a dually and play games on it, sure you can run SETI or Fold in the background with no real drop in performance - but are you really prepared to pay so much for it?

It still amuses me that a hell of a lot of people consider using dualies for games because you will only be disappointed.

ok well basically the 64-bit will have a lot more memory bandwidth. the duallies will be able to process multiple threads at the same time. that's the big performance difference. so if you do lots of number crunching like encoding audio or video, then go duallie. if you just want to play games then go 64-bit. the 64-bit will be more future proof as well. once they release those 64-bit operating systems, a 32-bit chip will not be able to run it.

my mistake on the Xeon that I did not know *shrug*. However i will say that using a duallie while gaming on something else you will notice a difference unless you get a server board where you can alocate certain memory to each chip. The MSI board won't let you do that. However that said you won't notice a difference in gaming much true. However you will notice a difference when doing other things like encoding video or editing things ie photoshop and stuff like that. I don't think I could live without a duallie seeing as they are both almost always at 100% usage :)

Also btw I did manage to upgrade to my new dual opteron setup for a little less than $600. Only had to buy the chips, board and memory. Everything else I already had. So it wasn't bad at all and boy did i notice a difference.

**EDIT**
And I wouldn't say anyone would be dissapointed by using a dual system. I game on my ALL the time. I love it. While it may not be able to technically run the game faster Windows XP can delegate processes. I can put the game on one chip and everything else on the second chip so it's like there is only one process running on the gaming chip. Makes a difference and one word describes it all...... smoooooooothhhh.

Back