• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ducks nuts Mobo for I7 haswell

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

box bundy

Registered
Please save me hours of research. what's the best?
I want at least 6 sata3 ports
at least 1 preferably 2 genuine pcie3 x16 socket (not this crap where the speeds go down when you share a channel or whatever)
at least 2 usb3
mild overclocking

please help me with advice

also - what issues would I get when purchasing a mobo or cpu from another country on ebay? or this a viable option. Retailers in Australia seem to think they can charge double for everything

thanks

Last edited:
you better hope yas win the series cus I'll be starting up a new thread just to give it to you if yas don't.

anyway, back to the motherboard. the thing that I don't like on these gigabyte mobos is how bandwith is shared on the PCIe ports. Is this a standard thing for all mobos?
my old board is a gigabyte p55usb3 and that really pissed me off. it basically takes away the functionality of being able to add on some extension cards. with my old board I couldn't even use the pcie x16 and pcie x1(2) slots at the same time because there was not enough room to fit both cards. that would have given me x4 speeds.

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8)
(The PCIEX16 and PCIEX8 slots conform to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)
* The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
* The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX1_2/3 slots. The PCIEX1_2/3 slots will become unavailable when a PCIe x4 expansion card is installed.
* When installing a x8 or above card in the PCIEX4 slot, make sure to set PCIE Slot Configuration in BIOS Setup to x4. (Refer to Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup," "Peripherals," for more information.)
3 x PCI Express x1 slots
(The PCIEX4 and PCI Express x1 slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
1 x PCI slot

ajay can you tell me why you prefer the gigabyte board over the asus pro or deluxe? what do you see as being better?

Last edited:
You can have what ever you like, i just took it that price was a key thing and looking at the prices in OZ. I can understand why, but if want to the ASUS Z87-V or V PRO and the Deluxe are OK! AJ. :)

1, http://www.mwave.com.au/product/sku-ab49650-asus_z87pro_motherboard#detailTabs=tabSpecifications

This is good middle to higher end Mobo, but looking at the prices there, i would humbly say wait if you can. As in the UK and USA there discounting prices now to get the sales! Also with the first batch of Boards there are teething problems, so after 6 months things will settle down. But that is always normal with a new platform, as for the PCIe you would need to ask someone in the know!! :shrug: ;)

Please save me hours of research. what's the best?
I want at least 6 sata3 ports
at least 1 preferably 2 genuine pcie3 x16 socket (not this crap where the speeds go down when you share a channel or whatever)
at least 2 usb3
mild overclocking

please help me with advice

also - what issues would I get when purchasing a mobo or cpu from another country on ebay? or this a viable option. Retailers in Australia seem to think they can charge double for everything

thanks
All Z87 boards will have at least 6 SATA3 ports as that number is now native to the chipset. There will not be less on that platform.

As far as the PCIe 16x/16x thing. You will need a board with a PLX chip (more $ - UD3H suggested above does NOT have a PLX chip IIRC) to accomplish that. But with that said, there isnt a point. On PCIe3, the bottleneck is around 1%. You won't notice, and its not worth it to pay that premium for negligible differences.

Most all boards have at least 2 USB3 ports, so that is a non issue.

Overall, the UD3H is a good board, and so is the ASrock Z87 Extreme 6, and the ASUS Z87-A (we reviewed both the ASrock and the ASUS on the front page, check it out).

No issues with buying off ebay from different countries hardware wise.

thanks for the info. what do you guys know about the lga2011 cpu. Is it worth it?
what advantages do the extra cores and larger caches give. are there any negatives? I notice they seem to all have a lower clock speed also. can someone fill me in on all this stuff please

Being worth it depends. Can you use all the cores? Gaming won't. But if you use applications that can, its a powerful cpu...

That soar its an expensive platform, period. The cpu is $500 and hoards are easily $200+.

I don't know much about how hyperthreading, extra cores etc work. I'm not much of a gamer. it would be used for music editing software (I'm a guitar player),
PS3 editing software, movies and I do a bit of compressing and unzipping etc. I want to be able to have multiple internet pages open whilst using this other software. Do these types of applications benefit? based on this what do you think? I currently use a i7 870 which slugs out big time unless it's overclocked. even then it's not up to my standard. do you think I'll be really satified with the haswell quad core or something in the 2011 range considering that I'm coming from an i7 870 cpu.
I'm not very patient. I'd rather get something that won't make me want to punch it. It'd end up cheaper in the long run. that said, I don't want to spend the extra cash if I won't need it.

Depends on the software...

The zip/unzip with winrar and 7zip will benefit as they are multi threaded.

I have to imagine you would be plenty happy with a 4770k personally.

probably.
I'd call you a wanker if I knew you a bit better! :)
My footy team's meant to be top 4 this year and they're unachieving also.
at least they had the brains to ditch that south african idiot they called a coach.
Cricket has sort lost it's shine a bit in Australia since the Indian league came in. it's all about the cash

I'm liking the look of the Asus Z87-Expert with the i7 haswell. next onto the power supply. any suggestions on specs, brands etc for this setup. mild OC. at least 6 sata power supplies, a bit of cooling etc.
what do yas reckon?

Last edited:
My good on ya Oz friend try our own list from OCF, just look down it and checkout the reviews! If your not going to OC too much plus your kit, you could use a 550w to 650w!
Or if you want to have 2 cards and OC then a good 750w to 850w as a investment for future builds. Its what you like best as for Models, Corsairs, Seasonics are some of the most reliable with good Warranty if needed. AJ. ;) :thup:

1, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

As you can see the list is up date on a regular basis. ;)

2, http://www.mwave.com.au/product/sku...nze_power_supply#detailTabs=tabSpecifications

This is just a basic idea of a unit you could use! :attn: :shrug:

Back