• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dum Question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tradermole

Registered
Don't seem to be able to get a clear anwser.

Is the CPU Temp supposed to be higher or LOWER then the core temp?

fyi: it's spelled dumb.

the cpu temp and core temp are essentially the same thing. The cpu can have several cores. Depending on your motherboard, sensors installed, and the application you use to check the temps; these numbers can be all over the place. I personally use CoreTemp the program, and HWmonitor, then use both and the numbers they provide to determine what's going on. as long as your highest core temp (or cpu temp) doesn't exceed the tjmax of the processor, you're fine. I'd assume a "core temp" is most accurate as it should b the actual processor reporting the temps; something labeled CPU temp could be a thermal probe in the socket area. what processor is this? what sort of temps are you seeing?

FX-8150 on a Crosshair Formula V
under Prime95
CPUID Haware Monitor:
CPU 68c
Core(s): 57c

Last edited:
what cpu cooler? any mods to it (bigger or faster fan?) what case? mods to case? thermal paste used?

I thnk with the 8150 you're still within norm, but towards the top of their safe range. The core temp is more accurate in this case than the cpu; probably a motherboard sensor in the cpu area.

Just changed to a swiftech all in one rad/pump/reservoir (triple rad) running push/pull sickflow fans, case is a corsair 800d. CPU block XSPC raistorm.

i am pushing the system to the limit. i am running prime stable at much lower temps (4.8 ghz)..... (CPU 62, Core(s) 50c). but i want that 5 ghz so much :). i am at 1.55v CPU LLC HIGH and ran prime for 2 hrs with no problems (but high temp)

well i'd start with asking a mod to change the title to "help me fine tune OC on FX8150."

if you're up to enough post I'd suggest you put your entire system in your signature. click the link at the top navigation bar for UserCP; it's in there. also, I'm sure the AMD guys here will want more details, post screen shots of CPUz (cpu, ram, spd) screens, and one of HWmonitor after say a 15-20m run. what fluid are you running in the loop? are you SURE that you bled out all the air out? do you hear the sound of flowing water? what voltages are you at for cpu/ram/etc? are you also cooling a GPU with that w/c loop?

The core temp and the CPU temp are not the same. Core temp is measured from a sensor or sensors embedded in the processor die itself. Beginning with the Phenom series of AMD CPUs, there was only one core temp sensor per CPU, regardless of the number of cores. Temp reporting software just repeats the one sensor temp "x" number of times depending on the number of cores.

"CPU temp" is measured from a sensor embedded in the motherboard in the CPU socket area. Therefore, "CPU temp" is really CPU socket temp in the terminology convention employed by most reporting software. The one exception I know of is in fact, CoreTemp, which uses "CPU temp" to mean the same as what most software calls "core temp". Many overclockers prefer HWMonitor to CoreTemp because it shows both core temps and CPU temps as well as hard disk and video card temp and all the important PSU voltages.

With stock cooling, core temp is typically about 3c warmer than CPU temp. With good aftermarket cooling core temps is commonly 3-10c cooler than CPU temp. Both may be important to know because: 1. AMD CPU core temps sensors on some product lines are often poorly calibrated and it's good to have another temp to compare it to and 2. because motherboards often employ thermal shutdown technologies that are keyed to the CPU socket temp rather than the processor core temp.

The overclocking community knows from experience that with AMD CPUs once the core temp begins to exceed about 55c on an significantly overclocked processor, instability typically sets in and in any case you don't want either core temps or CPU temps to exceed 70c or damage can result to the CPU.

Back