• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dvd playing software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomchong

simple question, what is the best dvd playing software out there? ive tried a couple free ones and image quality was good but i wasnt happy with the sound. by the way i have 5.1 speakers which i want to make full use of.

I have used Windows Media Player, and also PowerDVD (PowerDVD isnt free but came with my lappy). I haven't got 5.1 sound though so I cannot comment on that.

I'm pretty happy with PowerDVD. Don't waste your money on the audio expansion pack if you are going to use the SPDIF out. At least with my Philips card, using SPDIF completely bypasses the audio enhancements they offer.

Another Vote for Power DVD, I asked a similar question to this many months ago, and Tried most things suggested PowerDVD was the best for me, WinDVD didn't like dual monitors very much, apart from that the were pretty much equal, I don't have 5.1 sound, so that aspect I can't compare.

Windows Media Player works, it is not the greatest but it is free, so if you don't want to dish out cash, go with Windows Media Player

im trying windvd and blaze dvd right now, not sure which one i perfer yet. by the way, what is spdif?

It is an acronym for Sony/Philips Digital Interface.

S/PDIF

S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) is a standard audio transfer file format. It is usually found on digital audio equipment such as a DAT (Digital Audio Tape) machine or audio processing device. It allows the transfer of audio from one file to another without the conversion to and from an analog format, which could degrade the signal quality.

The most common connector used with an S/PDIF interface is the RCA connector, the same one used for consumer audio products. An optical connector is also sometimes used.
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci213474,00.html

I'm using WinDVD right now, I have used PowerDVD and don't really notice much of a difference. I'd say either is fine, or even WMP is good too.

i use PowerDVD, WinDVD or NVDVD (does a great job)! but i don't think the NVDVD can do DTS though. Haven't given ZoomPlayer a go yet, but i think it's gonna be the same as WMP or MPClassic!

Back