• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD+R DL failed writing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FudgeNuggets

I got a new Samsung DVDRW drive because my old one wasn't dual layer. I made an 8 GB ISO and attempted to burn it to DVD+R. It failed 3x thus wasting 3 discs. I'm not sure what to make of this. I've had some crappy discs before (memorex) that were just bad, but these were Verbatim. These discs cost $3 each and I don't want to eat that for no good reason. I can either take the discs back and get a different brand or do you think that the problem is the drive? I even tried burning at 2x speed to be sure even though both the drive and the discs support 6x. I also tried 2 different softwares, Alchohol and Nero, both errored out and ruined the disc after like less than 2 minutes.

You might check Samsungs support site for firmware updates. Most updates are for using more media types.

^^^what he said

Also, when you try to burn with Nero, instead of write, check 'determine maximum write speed' and 'simulation'. See if your simulation fails. It should give you a log file you can read to see whats going on.

I did do the log/simulation thing and it said, "simulation is not available for this media type: DVD+R". Do you think I should return the discs as defective or eat the $10 loss?

It's video and it was dying LONG before the layer change would happen. In 2 minutes on the 1st disc and within 30 seconds on the other 2.

You may want to check out this forum for optical drive related issues:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/
samsung dvd burner thread:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105

If it's video, rip the dvd in ISO mode with DVD decrypter (search on google for it), and then burn the resulting .mds file with imgburn. Unless this is a new title from sony or another studio which uses new copy protections, this method of backing up is as good as it gets.

What is the drive model and firmware you are running? Your drive may simply not like DL disks, even the Verbatims.

Thanks for the links, I'll have to check the model and firmware when I get home. It BETTER burn DL discs, that's why I got it, otherwise me lite-on would've been just fine.

Your drive definately burns DL disks, when I said "may not like DL disk" I was saying it may not have a high success rate with them.

don't know about the samsung burners but i've had great success burning verbatim DL media to both pioneer and NEC drives. i also had some memorex media that had over a 50% failure rate on the pioneer, but only 10% failure rate on the NEC. memorex media is garbage, but IMO so are pioneer burners. hopefully a firmware update will fix your issue, if not you might want to return the samsung and get a NEC or lite-on.

Benbaked:

Pioneer burners are definately NOT garbage. At least not their latest efforts (109 110 and 111). Did you have a bad experience?

i've had bad fortune with the DVR-109, those are the drives in the Power Mac G5s here at work and although they burned the verbatim discs fine they really complained about the memorex discs. the NEC drive is in a firewire enclosure and i've had much better luck with it on the memorex discs.

i should not blast all of their burners as being garbage as i haven't tried the 110 or 111, my work also has a non-DL pioneer burner in a duplication machine and the drive rattles very loudly but in its defense it doesn't turn out coasters. i also have a DVR-109 in my opteron but i can't test burning DL media in it because i have no software capable of burning those discs. the burners in the G5s might work better if i could update their firmware but then i would have to say bye-bye to applecare :(

Back