• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD Recorders

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1: no
2: N/A
3: yes
4: no

Don't own one yet. Can't really say which I like the best so far, I've only tried Plextor, LG, Liteon, Pioneer, and Optorite. I find while the Plextor's do a good job, they're still overpriced, haven't had a return yet on them, but I've had complaint's that some of them are picky on the media you use. The Optorite's are pretty much bargain basement quality. They'll do the job but, I've RMA'ed 80% of the ones I've sold (which isn't much). Pioneer's I've had to RMA a total of two (one A05, and one A06). Liteon I haven't had a return on yet. Lg, I've RMA'd 2 as well, but I mainly sell the LG's at work, so a return or two isn't unexpected. I do plan on buying a DVD-RW in the near future, but I'm so far undecided wether or not to wait for the multi-layer dvd's to become readily availible. If they come out and the price drops shortly to a reasonable ammount, I'll probably buy one.

Stedeman said:
1) Do you currently own a DVD Recorder if so is it DVD-R, DVD+R or another format ?

A: Yes, a lite-on dual format

2) Are you happy with your current DVD Recorder ?

A: Yes, I have been very pleased by it's performance

3) Are you currently considering buying a DVD Recorder ?

A: I will be considering a 16X when they become available and at a cost under $100 till then I will stick with 4X

4) Does the information contained in this article change your thoughts on the buying a DVD Recorder... if so why

A: No, I had made my decision prior to reading the article, and would have done just as I am doing now regardless.

My responses would be the same.

1) Do you currently own a DVD Recorder if so is it DVD-R, DVD+R or another format ?
4) Does the information contained in this article change your thoughts on the buying a DVD Recorder... if so why

1. Yes, Sony Multi Format
2. Reasonably
3. Yes
4. My intention is to buy a duel layer burner when the speeds go up and the prices go down. Kind of a contradiction I know but I made the mistake of being the first on the block to have a +- RW burner and consequently I ended up with an overpriced, slow drive

I dont have a DVD yet & am building a couple of comp's right now. I need to know if the Lite-on units are good & if the + _ thigy is still an issue.

I have a lite on and it's OK. Nothing super about the hardware. The software package that came with it is pretty sub-par in my opinion. However I have not used other OEM software packages that come with DVD-+R drives, so I can't really compare.

AUsch30 said:

1. Yes, Sony Multi Format
2. Reasonably
3. Yes
4. My intention is to buy a duel layer burner when the speeds go up and the prices go down. Kind of a contradiction I know but I made the mistake of being the first on the block to have a +- RW burner and consequently I ended up with an overpriced, slow drive

some drives firmware update to DL like my NEC, no need to buy a new drive for me seeing as it burns full dvdr in 16 minutes, and no matter what im doing never udner runs i could really care less about future DVD technology as far as current DVD's go.

FrostByte said:
NEC's are about same price as Lite-On's. What software comes w/ NEC's?

Probably just the run-of-the-mill Nero 5.5 and PowerDVD. That is what I've gotten with every DVDRW I've bought (1 NEC, 2 Lite-On's, and one Generic.)

If you really want good software for ripping, compressing/encoding, and burning DVD's, check out DVD Shrink and ImgTool Burn. They are both freeware, and very good. You can get them at www.mrbass.org.

I bought OEM so it came iwth nothing, but i owned nero from before hand. And to burn DVD';s with DVD shirnk you need nero installed.

DayUSeX said:
I bought OEM so it came iwth nothing, but i owned nero from before hand. And to burn DVD';s with DVD shirnk you need nero installed.

You can install the Nero demo and then install DVD Shrink and ImgTool burn. They need some API's from Nero, but these API's are in the demo version of the software (if you don't have a full version.)

Back