• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD-RW drive turns into cd drive with disc inserted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buckbadly

Just as the title says, when I throw a disc in my burner, it changes from a -rw drive and shows up as only a cd drive.

I've tried opening my case and disconnecting the cables and reconnecting them, tried uninstalling the drive and let windows install it upon reboot, and updated firmware.

Only thing I haven't tried is different media, I have +R DVD's, I'm going to get some -R's and see if that makes a difference.

Anything else I can try in the mean time?

Despite how it shows in windoze, do your programs still run it as a DVD burner or what?
It wouldn't matter to me what windoze chose to call it as long as it worked.

Maybe just an understanding issue on my part....

oh I'm sorry, forgot to mention that.

My programs lists it as a burner till I insert the disc, then it says there is no available burner to burn to.

I found this tool through another forum if thats any help.

Last edited:
Most likely you are having an issue with the burning software itself. It looks like you are using Nero. Did you get the copy when you bought a Sony ROM drive? If so that copy of Nero checks to see if you have a Sony Drive and if not it won't let you use it to burn. If it is a licensed copy of Nero try uninstalling it completely and then reinstall it.

I do have Nero but it's happening with all my burning utilities...Roxio, CloneDVD, convertX, etc.

I was converting and burning a home movie from the camcorder. The drive converts to cd drive upon insertion of a disc, without any programs open at all.

It's weird.:confused:

Put a disc in and take another screen shot just like the one you did before in Nero. I got to see this. Has it always done this or it just started happening?

....that is before I insert a disc

...and after

and that is the nero tool after I inserted a disc, the before is the first pic I posted

and it just started doing it last night.

Update: I tried putting a retail dvd in to see if it would read that, it reads it fine in Windvd.

I got some different dvdr's and it still does the same thing, changes to a cd drive and wont recognize the blank dvdr.

Update2 Earlier I burned a 3.5 gig data dvd with Nero and it burned it fine, read it afterwards and everything. Even though XP recognized the blank disc as a cd, not dvdr.

So I burned a dvd from an avi with VSOConvertX, worked fine and played after burning, but XP sees it as a cd.

So it just seems XP is actin screwy after all. Sorry for the "double updates", I thought I should let anyone know what I figured out in case they were following along with the same problem.

Last edited:
Back