• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DWL-G132 connects for 20sec then stops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kiwichemist

I have a D-Link DI-624 wireless router at home that originally was hooked up to my WinXP PC by cable. It was all working well. Moved the computer to another room and bought a DWL-G132 network adaptor and am now trying to get it to work. When I connect it all goes well either with Windows control or using the D-Link software and recognises the AP etc. You can then browse the web for all of 20secs before it wont find any more web pages or do anything. It says it is still connected but no packets are being transmitted or received. Eventually it usually disconnects and then a re-scan of wireless networks finds nothing. Starting and stopping the Windows Zero Config wervice does nothing at this stage. If you unplug the adaptor and plug it back in then you are back where you started, connection for 20secs, blah blah blah. Signal strength is about 80%. Driver is version 1.20, revison is A2 for hardware

From scouring the web this kind of thing seems to be the fault of Windows Zero Configuration thingee taking over and trying to connect to another network and knocking you off but I'm not sure of that in this case.

Things I have tried
1) The adaptor works on my laptop fine sitting at the same distance as the computer is from the router either using WZC tool or the Dlink software
2) As I said the same problem occurs when using WZC or Dlink software. Also tried the Boingo wireless connection software with the same result.
3) I am broadcasting the SSID but it makes no difference
4) I have tried turning off all security and changing channels on the router and turning of Turbo with no effect.
5) No microwave going at the time and I tried unplugging the cordles phone but neither change anything. (the laptop works fine with it under all these conditions anyway)
6) Motherboard has all the latest drivers etc
7) Windows XP has SP2 so no issue with the updates required to get it to work as several websites say.
8) I have tried various drivers from the Taiwanese and USA D-Link sites but it all does nothing different apart from a few BSODs when uninstalling, re-installing all these drivers.
9) 802.11x security thing is not ticked as several websites suggest this is a problem for lost connection
9) Have turned off Antivirus, firewall, Skype, Gmail and any other thing I can find that connects to the internet. Still the same.

It seems to me there is still some other windows program or service knocking my connection off and generally not playing nice

Thanks for your help

Update

Tried an updated Windows Update driver (ver 1.5) ut still no chnage.

If I connect and not use a browser I can ping the AP for a long time with no drop outs. As soon as I use a browser it dies and you cant ping the AP anymore. Weird

Just tried reinstalling Win XP + SP2 but this didn't change anything unfortunately.

Hrm... try updating the firmware on your router, and try the network card in a different PC. I'm having a similar issue but not as frequent as your problem. Im looking for a third-party connection manger as well, so far the only one I've found is McAfee Wireless Security, http://www.wirelesssecuritycorp.com/wsc/public/WPAAssistant.do

I heard that Boingo crap installs spyware / adaware so I stayed away from that, some senior member mentioned Access Connections from IBM but that only works on IBM PC's from what I read.

Hope that helps a little bit, but from the sounds of your problem it might be a router issue, try updating / reloading the firmware on the router and then reset to factory defaults and then try a basic connection with no security. If that works then go ahead and add encryption to the connection and see how that works. Just change one variable at a time and test it and if it works great if not you know what the problem is.
good luck.

Tried updating the router to latest firmware (4.03 from 4.01).

This reset everything back to basics so tried it out. Works fine still on my laptop with its inbuilt intel wireless chip but the desktop is still doing the same thing.

Also mucked around with different drivers for the D-link adaptor with the revised router driver but no luck.

Also turned off UPnP in router and on PC as someone elsewhere suggested that might do something. No luck.

If I disable the laptops inbuilt wireless chip and use the D-Link adaptor it works flawlessly first time with either WZC control or the D-link software sitting in the same place where the Desktop is.

The weird thing of all this is that it connects and you can surf flawlessly for anywhere between 5 and 30 sec and then it abruptly stops transmitting or receiving. You then have to remove and reinsert the adaptor for it to go again for another 20 sec. I am losing all hope ........ must go on .......... the end is nigh.......

Also turned off the Power managment options for the USB hubs on the computer so it is not them cutting off the connecton as far as I can tell.

The adaptor also has power options but this was set to off as well so shouldn't interfere either

Just tried the latest firmware for the DI-624 (4.04) but still no joy.

It has to be something on my desktop PC buggering the connection after 20 secs I think.

Back