• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E2180, E4500, or wait for Penryn?? I need your help guys!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Be sure to ask us when you need OCing help. I don't know about everyone else but I've explored just about every setting on my rig and I don't have the money to upgrade yet. In other words, I live vicariously through your checkbook.

Good luck!

I've got the money but not the time to buy a budget set up and to get kick-*** performance. I, too, live through some of you...if not through power users who have an Intel Extreme quad core :)

Good luck on the build JD. Interested to see how you like the IP-35 because I am looking at the DS3-L too. Although I might have to undo the 266 BSEL on my E4300 in that board at least it will tide me over for the almighty Penryn.

the BSEl mods do not work on gigabyte boards, to many have tried on them. various models and none of them worked...

Go ahead and buy your system and set it up with the e2180. Wait for the Penryns and the reviews and OC info and then make your purchase.

Sell the e2180 on the bay for $50.

Problem solved for $40 and in the meantime, you can take your time in deciding which Penryn you want.

This is exactly what I did and instead of trudging along on a P4 running at 3GHz, I am running at 3.4GHz on an e2180 and am waiting for the Penryns.

Note: The difference in speed has been so dramatic v. the P4, that I am very pleased and comfortable with waiting to see if there is something that will be significantly faster.

This is my plan also. From cyber-monday, I picked-up an E2180 and an Abit IP35 Pro. Will go Penryn in Jan.

allright, glad to hear that satan, crunch, and dawg! you bet your boots I'll be back here in a few days =)

I'm curious.. are Cyber-Monday sales a yearly tradition for Computer retailers? the Monday after Black Friday.

It actually just started this year. There was a rumor about cyber Monday from only a few places, it became circulated in the media as a big deal and the rest of the online retailers caught on and decided it was a good idea. Instant new tradition.

Mind explaining this a little bit? I've been out of the cpu business for too long and not too sure whats going on with them atm.

I'm with you. I'm just starting to look into upgrading (already upgraded my video card with a AGP though). I have almost the same setup as you. :beer: Might just wait until Jan.

hokiealumnus said:
It actually just started this year. There was a rumor about cyber Monday from only a few places, it became circulated in the media as a big deal and the rest of the online retailers caught on and decided it was a good idea. Instant new tradition.

It's been going on for a couple of years at least.

I'm with you. I'm just starting to look into upgrading (already upgraded my video card with a AGP though). I have almost the same setup as you. :beer: Might just wait until Jan.
It's been going on for a couple of years at least.

the best upgrade for your rig is the asus CT-479 with a PM 730/740/750 cpu. even with your current video card it will make a world of difference.

Thanks for the advice Evilsizer.

I was thinking of getting a Gigabyte P35-DS3R, e6750, 2gb ram (Crucial) and some video. I know that's what I'll need at least (mobo, cpu, ram, video).

I'm in no rush to upgrade now. My current setup works great for me now.

allrighty guys.. I'm now talking to you on my new C2D system, complete with E2180 2.0ghz OC'ed to 3.1ghz. The Voltage is set to 1.43v, and the CPU Temps max out at around 65c after a long run of Orthos... Idles at 30c. System is completely stable using only the Stock Intel Cooler.

Now, I'm back.. in need of your wisdom.. You guys think it's possible to get more out of this chip? I have the Ram (PC6400 Ballistix) at a 2:3 FSB:DRAM Divider... so it's running at about 934Mhz, 5-5-5-18...

CPU Multi is 10x
FSB is set to 310mhz.

What can you guys recommend?? I think this chip has a lot more left in her, but my HSF is limiting.

Also, you guys know of any ABit IP35 Bios Tweak guides specially for OCing my board and chip??? that would be awesome!

What are you using to monitor temps?

That seems incredible... I'm at 1.4 vcore (under load) and 3.2 gig on a E2140 and I'm still seeing 65-70c under Prime95 load with a Scythe Ninja Plus Rev b.

oh man those scythe ninja's really are like ninja weapons... I once cut my hand trying to install one of those beasts back in the day...

anyhow, I'm using Speedfan 4.33 to monitor my temps.

You're quite correct, the HSF is limiting you at this point. Great OC on stock cooling with very reasonable temperatures though, so kudos on that! You could push further if you want. That chip has a 100c TjunctionMax and it's 'safe' up to 75c (25c from TjunctionMax). I try to keep mine under 60c but that's b/c I F@H 24/7. With the stock cooler, my limit was 70c...then I got my Big Typhoon and that went down significantly. :)

If you're interested in running Speedfan to control your fans rather than abitEQ (GUI) or FanEQ (BIOS), you can check out this sticky on the subject @ abit's forums: IP35-E / IP35 Speedfan Config

What Vdimm are you running? That's an impressive speed. Mine hit a very hard concrete wall at 450MHz (DDR2-900), though I'm still not done playing with them. Make sure they're not getting hot on you as that's pretty good speed for DDR2-800 RAM.

There's not really any guide for the IP35 that I know of, but there are a lot of people here and at abit that can answer questions for you...just ask away!

4.33 reads 15c low, your temps at load are really 80c ish. Might want to back off a bit of get a better cooler.

I would say you definately need a new cooler if you intend to run any larger OC on that chip daily. I run a Tt Typhoon on my e4300 @3315mhz daily. I idle at 36c-37c in vista and get up to around a max of 65c under stress testing. Temps from CoreTemp.

I had planned on this CPU till the quad penryns came out. Now it looks like I will be limited to possibly the dual penryns.

fwiw - finally built my new system with a E2180 and did my first oc. 300x10 on 1.405v on stock cooling.

thanks for the reply's so far guys... and nice work Caveman!

is there an accurate way to monitor temps from within Windows? seeing how Speedfan is not, which software will actually monitor correctly?

here's my Voltage specs and timmings:

FSB @ 310mhz w 10x multi (3.1ghz)
CPU voltage @ 1.43v
RAM: 5-5-5-18 @ 2.1v (934mhz - give or take I'm not in front of my machine)

Now, what do you guys think i should do about the RAM? Should i try for 4-4-4-12? will that make a significant gain in performance? and 2.1v is stock for Ballistix no?...if I'm wrong PLEASE correct me.

and also, If I was to get a new Cooler, which one is best in the $30 range, and is the extra 200-300mhz really worth it??

thanks brotha's!

thanks for the reply's so far guys... and nice work Caveman!

is there an accurate way to monitor temps from within Windows? seeing how Speedfan is not, which software will actually monitor correctly?

here's my Voltage specs and timmings:

FSB @ 310mhz w 10x multi (3.1ghz)
CPU voltage @ 1.43v
RAM: 5-5-5-18 @ 2.1v (934mhz - give or take I'm not in front of my machine)

Now, what do you guys think i should do about the RAM? Should i try for 4-4-4-12? will that make a significant gain in performance? and 2.1v is stock for Ballistix no?...if I'm wrong PLEASE correct me.

and also, If I was to get a new Cooler, which one is best in the $30 range, and is the extra 200-300mhz really worth it??

thanks brotha's!

Hey JD, nice choice and good job! If I'd have chimmed in earlier, I would have reccommended the path you took :beer: As for your current setup, your doing great, but I've heard that the 15 degree variance in Speedfan only effects some CPUs. To find out, go into your BIOS for a couple of minutes and watch you CPU temps...then go load Windows/Speedfan and let it idle for a few minutes, the temps should be about the same. If Speedfan shows 12-15 degrees less than the BIOS, you can modify your readings in Speedfan to show the accurate temps (+15 degrees).

I think you could probably get a lot higher with a good cooler, but my advice is not to waste $30 on a cooler that will just "work" well for your current CPU. If you plan to upgrade your CPU to a newer model within the next year, plan ahead and get one that will OC your next CPU well too, that way you won't have to upgrade the cooler again later.

With RAM performance, generally speaking DDR2-800 @ 4-4-4-12 and DDR2-1000 @ 5-5-5-15 are about equal in overall performance. I also have DDR2-800 Crucial Ballistix (4x1GB) and have mine stable at 900MHz @ 4-4-4-12, however I was less successful OCing with 5-5-5-15 timing, only reaching about 1100MHz. The good news for me is I am able to run my 900MHz @ 4-4-4-12 with only 2.05V so I am not so worried about them dieing on me (as many people have experiance with 2.2-2.3V).

To get your RAM at 900MHz, you could try one of the following settings:
FSB @ 300MHz x10 = 3000MHz RAM @ 2:3
FSB @ 338MHz x9 = 3042MHz RAM @ 3:4
FSB @ 360MHz x9 = 3240MHz RAM @ 4:5
FSB @ 375MHz x8 = 3000MHz RAM @ 5:6
FSB @ 450MHz x7 = 3150MHz RAM @ 1:1

As far as you L2 cache question - certain apps see lots of improvement (especially games, 5-10% with twice the cache), others don't see any at all. That is where you FSB comes into play, the are two arguments for higher FSB speeds, the obvious one is saturating the avalible bandwidth with too much data (ie multitasking with a quad core). The other is to increase communication between the CPU and the memory, this becomes more important the less L2 cache you have. Because the less L2 you have, the more the CPU needs to access the main memory...and the faster it can do it, the less negative impact your small L2 cache will have.

Based on that, my reccommendation would be to run the last config I listed above. Most P35 boards have no trouble running these types of settings, you'll probably have to give the FSB & MCH a little voltage bump in the BIOS, but other than that it should be alright. Just make sure you stress stest your rig with your desired settings before accepting them for 24/7 use.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Back