• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E4500, 790i FTW overclocking and stable vcore help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueFire.X

First I want to thank the numerous posters and threads and of course OC Forums for all the help over the many hours days and weeks spent over the years researching and reviewing my overclocking potential and which hardwares to choose from.

As you can see from my specs in my sig, which i shall post for ease of reading, My build reads as:
EVGA 790i FTW
e4500 Conroe
4x 2GB OCZ 1800MHZ DDR3
1x galaxy 9600 gt
1x 6800 series (unknown - handmedown)
575 Watt Thermaltake PSU
Noctua NH-u12p dual 120mm cpu cooler
2x 1TB seagate barracudas SATA
1x 300GB Barracuda IDE
1x WD 160GB IDE
2x DVD DL R/w drives, 1 liteon 1 samsung
Antec 900 Case with all fans on high setting.

I have a frankenstien of a comp. The E4500 with ddr3 1800MHz ram makes me laugh and sigh every time. lol. I am have some stability issues with this build. First off I think my main problem is the amount of hardware I have in this build and the 575watt PSU with only the 4pin cpu 12v. (and ran out of cash for a nice 1200 PSU) One reason I believe this is even though bios system voltages show 1.34375v (vdroop on) in cpu-z and other apps vcore constantly shows 1.304-1.31 volts.

My current Bios voltage settings are:
1.34375 cpu core
1.2 fsb
1.9 mem
1.42 SPP
1.5 MCP
1.5 cpu PLL

with all the gtvref lanes set to auto

currently other applicable bios settings (and not to mention just dump all my info on the table to be verbose so i don't miss anything :) ) are:

Multiplier 11x
pcie mhz all set to auto @ 100
spp <-> mcp ref clock MHZ auto @ 200

HT Multipliers (spp -->, <-- mcp) set to 5x
ht spread spectrum disabled
pcie spread spectrums (spp and mcp) auto
with a sata down spread.

epp2.0 disabled with FSB memory clock mode set to unlinked with manual settings of
QDR 1090
DDR 1817
with p1 and p2 enabled
also memory timings manually entered @ 8x8x8x28x2t with advanced kept at auto.

CPUID, SpeedStep, thermal control all set to disabled.
c1e halt state and execute disable bit enabled.

Okay so theres the rundown, sorry for the verboseness of all my info but again i don't want to leave anything out to answer later.

So windows seems to work fine, granted i haven't primed for over an hour but it seemed to work at an hour and i was itching to test out the pcie (was previously agp... i kno i kno.) so I was able to run Mercs2 at all high settings for days upon end, in my new case however (just transferred from a smaller case yesterday) some stability issues occur, such as non responsive apps when running a setup. and i've noticed my core %'s jump to 100% for extended periods of time yet unit stilll shuts down properly mercs2 still works fine, etc.

This is not my first OC just a little stumped... i don't want to loose a 3ghz OC on this, but possibly it is my unwillingness to do so that is the cause of the instabilities?

Any help appreciated, and Thanks in advance!

Back