• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6600 vs E7200 ... FIGHT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

OK well back bout a week ago i scored an e7200 retail cpu and decent ecs mobo for 65 bucks out the door... i <3 frys.... anyways i told my self that i could not open the cpu or mobo till i saw the BF ads for frys just incase there was some 45nm quad on super sale... problem is i need a quad with a 8.5 or greater multi (my p5wdh is a great board, but being that it is a 975x chipset its not an fsb king... with a dualie im lucky to get 430 fsb... a quad probably 400 MAYBE) thus your talkin a q9550 or q9650... and no way r they gonna have thoes down at the price id be willing to buy.... SO long story short i think ima break open the e7200 that has been sitting in my room tourturing me since last wednesday.

What ima do is do a series of benchmarks to see wether my E6600 or E7200 is better... id be willing to bet the e7200 comes out on top even though its got a 3mb cache vs a 4mb on my e6600.... what do you guys think?

ill be running the tests at the exact same clocks (3.4ghz 9x378). then ill see if the lil e7200 has any more in her. 4ghz anyone! :p

results to come.

Some tests are cache dependent some are not. By testing at the same clock you're looking at cache size and th minor 45nm enhancements, the real advantage of 45nm is higher clocks although the e7200 is binned lower than an e6600 so it's not a direct comparison of products in the same position in the lineup.

Games at low res and settings will be better on the e6600, games at real-world res and settings will be video card dependent. Encoding is mostly a function of clockspeed. A few apps rely heavliy on cache like WinRAR would be bette ron the e6600. SSE4 benches will be better on the e7200. The cache sizes aren't hugely different though so the results won't be all that far apart.

once you have opened the CPU, are you able to return it to Fry's within the 15 days period like you can return the MB and they will not charge the restocking fee? for some reason i like the sound of E7200 over the E6600 just cause 7200 is higher than 6600 :p but thats just me.

once you have opened the CPU, are you able to return it to Fry's within the 15 days period like you can return the MB and they will not charge the restocking fee? for some reason i like the sound of E7200 over the E6600 just cause 7200 is higher than 6600 :p but thats just me.

i dunno but at this point in time it dont really matter, i opened it and i dont think ima return it cus i got such a bitchin deal on it.

I plan on benching at the same clock just for DIRECT comparison but then i plan on seeing how high of a nice stable not super hot oc i can pull out of this e7200, seems like ppl are gettin some good clocks outta them. Ima not expecting miracles in performance difference but if the e7200 does clock higher than my e6600 and does performe better it will go in my main rig instead of my htpc... and either way my server gets a nice upgrade from a P4 3.0C northwood to a E4300 :beer: kinda like a trickle down effect haha.

As per the cache size, in the apps i do i dont think ill notice a bit o diff... i have my E4300 @ 9x333 and it only has 2mb cache and my E6600 at the same 9x333 has 4mb cache... in 3dmark06 the cpu score is almost identical as well as other apps. so only time will tell...

wells guys.... the e7200 works just fine in my mobo... but vcore options are LIMITED... 1.3v max due to some weird bios junk... i think its safe to say the p5wdh is a LONG lived board... been round since jan of 2005... almost 4 yrs now but there is a point where i gotta cut my losses.. looks like ill be pullin the e7200 back out popin ye good ole e6600 back in and figure out what i wanna do with the chip.... it will probably end up in my htpc which runs on a p35 chipset and it will feel much more comfortable there. then i can clock it like it should be MUHAHAHHAA

ya i remember that... i put my e6600 back in the main rig for now... ima see what kinda clocker this e7200 is in my htpc then go from there... i plan on buying some pad mod materials (defogger repair) and if i could get an extra .2v on this e7200 i could probbaly get 4ghz!

i did manage to do 3.4ghz @ 1.25v on the e7200 3dmark06, cinebench ... were all stable, and i was astounded at the SUPER LOW temps my god... no wonder why the thing shipped with such a punny hs.

Yeah, my E6600 didn't like going over 3.2 with sane voltages iirc, so running 3.8 was nice.

Plus it's always fun to mess with new hardware.

I'd say 1.25V should be around the sweet spot for a nice voltage/OC.
Unfortunately I bought an E7200 for my friend, and it didn't want to budget over 3.0 without 1.4V :shrug:

Back