• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6700 on Phase - by Dominick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dominick32 said:
Hells yes!

Congrats on the phase unit bro. Cant wait to get some results from you. BTW- What week is your processor?

Yep, I should be putting the down payment tommorow.

Its a 28A, havent heard much about them, seems to clock pretty well and wants a little more volts than the 28B's

Heres a pic of bios CPU temperature @ 1.4 vcore idling (add another 10 to 15 degrees for evaporator temps):

biostemp1.JPG

WAY TO GO DOM !!!! :beer:

Yes, getting near 0c is a bit on the dangerous side, but thats what insulation is for !! :p

What tweaks have you tried ? And what chipset cooler you running ?

WaTTz said:
WAY TO GO DOM !!!! :beer:

Yes, getting near 0c is a bit on the dangerous side, but thats what insulation is for !! :p

What tweaks have you tried ? And what chipset cooler you running ?

The reason for my E6700 purchase was so I didnt have to tweak.
With the 10 X multiplier, I am right in the 400 to 470 FSB range. Which is generally a range viewed as "easy to work with" on the P5B-Deluxe. I have stock cooling with decent temps (27*C mobo) and the only tweaks I always do is disable all CPU options and manually set memory timings and voltage. Now, the 9X multi E6600, that was a big pain in the ***. It liked some settings and it hated others.

*UPDATE *
Some good news. Just got finished running PCMark05 @ 4.3 Ghz and 1.6vcore. It passed with flying colors. My next step will be Superpi32m @ 4.3 ghz and 1.6v. Following a Spi32m pass would be an overnight 7 hour Orthos blast... Lets hope for a pass.:beer:

jtjuska said:
Good luck passing the 7 hour Orthos blast. Its good to see that you are at least enjoying the 6700.

~jtjuska

Thanks Jt.
Hows that 6600 treating you?

She's treating me very well. I ran into a short on my budget so I am going to be on my interim board for at least another couple weeks :bang head . On the bright side though I have hit 2.7 or a 300x9 OC on it rock solid. The board craps out at 301 but 300 is absolutely rock solid. I am thinking that there are limitations build into the board that prevent it from going higher. I wish I knew someone who could check out the BIOS and see if there is anything unlockable in there. I want to see what the VIA chipset can do before I move over to DDR2 and PCIe. I will keep ya posted but the last major decisions I have to make are if I want to mod the mounting bracket on my Whitewater to make it compatible with the P5B Dlx or if I just want to buy an Apogee... *sigh* decisions decisions. Thanks for asking about it though. I think the thing I am most excited about is DICE on the P5B with it, maybe go after your record with her ;). In complete respect of course :) Well thats enough about me for now...

~jtjuska

dominick32 said:
*UPDATE *
Some good news. Just got finished running PCMark05 @ 4.3 Ghz and 1.6vcore. It passed with flying colors. My next step will be Superpi32m @ 4.3 ghz and 1.6v. Following a Spi32m pass would be an overnight 7 hour Orthos blast... Lets hope for a pass.:beer:

That was the info i was just about to ask you for. Good luck on passing the 7 hours orthos. If you do then im definately going to be in the market for a 6700. Im in the same boat as you, i started out with a 6600 for phase but i was very disappointed with my results. So now im either going 6700 or 6800.

Ps. how come you decided against selling this 6700 and moving up to the 6800.

MrDeeds said:
That was the info i was just about to ask you for. Good luck on passing the 7 hours orthos. If you do then im definately going to be in the market for a 6700. Im in the same boat as you, i started out with a 6600 for phase but i was very disappointed with my results. So now im either going 6700 or 6800.

Your unit is tuned differntly so your results will be different, If you started a thread maybe you could get some advice on the setup? Hardware in the sig would help as well

MrDeeds said:
Ps. how come you decided against selling this 6700 and moving up to the 6800.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=483797

Just a little update for this morning. Tried for a minimum of 7 hour orthos last night @ 4.3 ghz 1.6vcore. Unfortunately, it was too much load to ask of my SS. I put it on before bedtime and shut off the monitor. 45 minutes into "priority 10 ram/cpu testing" in orthos it failed and has been idling on the xp desktop since last night at 4.3 Ghz.

Oh well, I am almost positive that 4.2 Ghz is doable 24/7 on this setup. Thats what will be happening tonight before bedtime. Thanks for everyone who has been helping and following this thread. I appreciate it tremendously.

Dom

Jin said they stepped up the heat at 1.65+Vcore, maybe try top stable clock for 1.63 or 1.64 :shrug:
Good luck :thup:

greenmaji said:
Jin said they stepped up the heat at 1.65+Vcore, maybe try top stable clock for 1.63 or 1.64 :shrug:
Good luck :thup:

Oh with each bump above 1.65 they step up the heat royally bro! :mad:
Check this out:

Bios idle CPU temps at 1.65 volts = -29.5 to -30.5
Bios idle CPU temps at 1.85 volts = -10.5*C :eek:

Add another 10* to both for evap temps, that -40* at 1.65 and -21* at 1.85.... Talk about close to 0*C during load. As far as priming I will be priming on 1.55 vcore @ 4.1 Ghz.... Than I will try for 4.2 GHz @ 1.6vcore

I'd PCmark04 or PCmark05 clocks on up to 1.64Vcore then gauge what to prime from there.

Well, I gotta hit the sack to get up real early 2morrow for work again and do my normal routine. The chip has been priming at for about 20 to 30 minutes now and hopefully another 6 hours... 1.55 Vcore @ 4.1 GHz..... :beer:
So the vcore is lower than I expected, maybe the CPU is taking advantage of jins tuning with less vcore and wattage??

If this passes I am gonna take a stab @ 4.2Ghz 1.55 vcore 2morrow night.

Good night.

stable4100.JPG

I know I've asked this before, but I always miss the response. What's that program you're using (the green one) to see the temps?

A little update for today. Tried for 4.2 Ghz @ 1.6 vcore last night and it failed 25 minutes in to Dual Prime95.... :bang head I checked the socket at time of failure and what do you know? Condensation all around it. So, I took this time to remount the Vapo, re-apply Di-Electric grease in and around the socket, and finally get a tighter remount with a new cover of Ceramique...

Check here:
gook.JPG

Since I had the whole mobo apart again I decided to install a new Swiftech chipset sink/fan as well. It seemed to lower my temps 2 to 3 degrees from stock.

newinstall.JPG

I will keep everyone posted on new 24/7 stability points as well as a possible shot at benching for clockspeed again.

Cheers.

Looking good so far guys. "knock on wood"
Just about 45 minutes dual priming @ 4.2 Ghz 1.65vcore!
I was also able to get a 4.7 Ghz validation but no Spi1m after the remount.. :beer:

4200stable.JPG

Back