• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 or E3110 for some overclocking and gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GamingDaemon

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to build a new gaming rig. I will be taking my eVGA 8800GTX video card from my previous machine (see sig below), but everything else will be brand new.

I want to buy an E8400 with a P35 mobo (probably the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L).

I plan to do some medium overclocking, but I am not rabid about it. I'd like to get to 400 FSB, so 3.6GHz. I like the idea of moving to a 45nm architecture with 1333MHz FSB and ultimately DDR3. Mostly I will be using this rig for playing DX10 games.

However, I have heard the stories of degrading E8400s when overclocking them? Is this myth or truth? Should I buy an E3110 as they are binned for servers? The prices are almost the same on TankGuys so I am not sure what to do.

HELP! :confused: Thanks in advance...

:welcome: to the forums :D

If all you are doing is a medium overclocking, either will be fine for you. The advantage of the E3110 is the lower voltage at higher clocks you could experience. It is said to OC higher, but that wouldn't matter in this case. At 400 FSB you can hit a 4.0Ghz OC with the 10 multiplier. Not much of a price difference between the two at Tankguys.com either. Both of these chips are beasts.

Thanks for the welcome OldSkool.

And for the info. I've heard that because the E3110 is binned for servers, it goes through a higher QC process, but that might just be rumor.

So how do I get a 10x multiplier with either an E8400 or an E3110? I thought the multiplier was locked at 9x...

ooooh nvm I was thinking of my E2180, sorry, the Multiplier is 9x, you are correct. I've been looking at so many parts lately, lol.

Get whichever is cheaper, they're esentialy the same chip, the E3110 only real advantage is generaly using less voltage for stock and for overclock.

Highly recommend picking up a cheap HSF for your CPU though, the stock one is tiny.

I'd say TRUE120 if you were seriously overclocking, but since you are not, it may be less justifiable. I would and do use one because I like to have the best cooling I can. Food for thought.

I'd say TRUE120 if you were seriously overclocking, but since you are not, it may be less justifiable. I would and do use one because I like to have the best cooling I can. Food for thought.

I'm not familiar with the TRUE120 or who makes it, but I'm rather found of the Zalman 9700. Is that sufficient for 400FSB?

Also, I have been using the Enermax CHAKRA case with the big 250mm fan on the side. But I am also thinking of the Cooler Master COSMOS. Any recommendations there?

Last edited:
why settle for 3.6 when almost every one is getting 4 on a reg basis .

have you looked @ a e8200 ? they are clocking very well and if 3.6 is still your goal that will still be easy but you will be running higher than a 400fsb .

why settle for 3.6 when almost every one is getting 4 on a reg basis .

have you looked @ a e8200 ? they are clocking very well and if 3.6 is still your goal that will still be easy but you will be running higher than a 400fsb .

I haven't looked at an E8200, but then I also thought that trying to do 4GHz with an E8200 would degrade the chip according to some threads I have read here and in other forums. If this is not true, and I can get 4GHz on air, then sign me up for the E3110!!!

E3110 can definetly do 4ghz on air, and on average less voltage then the E8400. One batch is getting people 4ghz on 1.2V, but the average seems a bit above 1.3V

E3110 can definetly do 4ghz on air, and on average less voltage then the E8400. One batch is getting people 4ghz on 1.2V, but the average seems a bit above 1.3V

My E3110 can get 4Ghz with 1.25v rock steady stable. H20-ed of course :cool: 4Ghz on air is verry possible, with the right board & ram of course ;)

4GHz+ on air is doable if you have a good heatsink, I can do 4.3GHz at 1.3v on my X3110 with a Zerotherm NV120 (lapped), a buddy of mine just got his E8400 today and he hit 4GHz at 1.21v right out of the gate, he hasnt had any time to tweak it yet but I am sure it is every bit as good as my Xeon.

unless you are unlucky , you should go for 4ghz air without not much pain

I posted Q807A091 4ghz with 1.20v load stable +4 hours orthos small fft

my Q746A534 do same with a little more volts 1.29v but it is still my favorite as its temps are more accurate and it was able to bench at 4.5 gh 3dmark 06 and boot on vista desktop at 4.78 ghz air with true 120 or xigmatel HDT 1284 ( couldn't go further yet with Q807 because bios halt for cpu overvoltage warning .....86° idle bios damn it )

My e3110 and e8400 (E8400 is Q747 E3110 is Q746) are almost the exact same. Both do 4ghz on nice low voltage, and I say get whichever is cheaper. I like the green square around "45nm" on the e8400 box than the blue square on the e3110 box, and that's why I would buy one over the other. I run both on air at 4.2ghz 24/7. My e8400 has been up to 4.9ghz, and the e3110 will go under the cold stuff in a couple of weeks after finals are done.

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. Sorry it took so long to get back to ya, I've been uber busy at work. It's what sits on my E8400 at 4.0Ghz and my full load temps never break 60C. Regardless of your clock cooler is always better :D

I'm not familiar with the TRUE120 or who makes it, but I'm rather found of the Zalman 9700. Is that sufficient for 400FSB?

Also, I have been using the Enermax CHAKRA case with the big 250mm fan on the side. But I am also thinking of the Cooler Master COSMOS. Any recommendations there?

Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 :beer:

It is considered just about the best heatsink out there atm, or at least one of the better ones. I wouldn't blink an eye at getting the best sink I could. They are too cheap to skimp on.

I'm sure the 9700 is ok for 400FSB, but I still would have to suggest that you get a TRUE120.

Well I purchased my E3110 from TankGuys. They are great. I accidentally entered the incorrect email address when I created my account, so I was not able to log back in after my order was placed. I emailed them using their customer support services at 6:26pm PST. They replied 11 minutes later having fixed the problem!! Awesome customer service!

Anyway, so far I have bought my Antec 900 case, and now my E3110 processor. Next up is deciding on the P35 board and memory.

And I will definitely consider the TRUE120!

Back