• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 TEMP ISSUE,VERY DETAILED,looking for answers!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok so umm it's been a year now..

any updates? My coretemp says 28/29 for both cores and this is on a P5E with a XIgmatek S183 or whatever

so these temps legit?

Ok so umm it's been a year now..

any updates? My coretemp says 28/29 for both cores and this is on a P5E with a XIgmatek S183 or whatever

so these temps legit?

My realtemp says 35C for both cores and coretemp says 40C for both cores. The sensors are stuck at that and the only way I can get the temp to change is if I run the IntelBurnTest. Prime95 and SuperPi wouldn't make the temps budge.

I don't trust the thermal sensors. I think they're just good to use to see how much your temps rise from load.

What kind of cooling are you using anyway?

My realtemp says 35C for both cores and coretemp says 40C for both cores.
Do you have latest RealTemp? Try a CPU Cool Down Test to see how bad your sensors are stuck.

I don't trust the thermal sensors. I think they're just good to use to see how much your temps rise from load.
Agree. That's their purpose, to trigger throttle or thermal shutdown, so they became more accurate with higher temperatures.

My realtemp says 35C for both cores and coretemp says 40C for both cores. The sensors are stuck at that and the only way I can get the temp to change is if I run the IntelBurnTest. Prime95 and SuperPi wouldn't make the temps budge.

What kind of cooling are you using anyway?

I'm using a Xigmatek HDT-S183 with a bolt thru kit, and the CPU is stock..

ok so nothing was released to address the sensor issue? Damn that sucks ...

I want to oc my CPU to 4 ghz, so if there is no way to correctly monitor the temperature, then what can I do? The previous owner told me it can handle 4ghz, so should I go ahead and just oc it?

I'm using a Xigmatek HDT-S183 with a bolt thru kit, and the CPU is stock..

ok so nothing was released to address the sensor issue? Damn that sucks ...

I want to oc my CPU to 4 ghz, so if there is no way to correctly monitor the temperature, then what can I do? The previous owner told me it can handle 4ghz, so should I go ahead and just oc it?

Just make sure you use the latest coretemp or realtemp. Crank up your vcore a little bit and run some stress tests. See if your temperature can rise @ all. In my case, my temps don't go up unless I can make the CPU break 40C.

Do you have latest RealTemp? Try a CPU Cool Down Test to see how bad your sensors are stuck.

Agree. That's their purpose, to trigger throttle or thermal shutdown, so they became more accurate with higher temperatures.
I was actually doing that just before. I ran the CPU Cool Down test and here's what it gives me... (what now? Do I just deal with it or is there a way to fix it...)

Attachments

• realtemp1.JPG
    realtemp1.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 437
what now? Do I just deal with it or is there a way to fix it...
Unfortunately nothing to do, just get used to deal with it. :)
Good news is that they are stuck at 40°C, above that they works. Anyway, idle temperatures doesn't matter so it's OK in full-load.
I have a guy in our forums with both sensors stuck at 51°C.

Last edited:
yep, the issue is in the chip itself. can't be fixed by software. The newer E0 Stepping E8400s don't have this issue. I updated to one of those and sold the old chip on. My old chips sensors old work when the temprature of the chip exceeded the value they were stuck at.

Unfortunately nothing to do, just get used to deal with it. :)
Good news is that they are stuck at 40°C, above that they works. Anyway, idle temperatures doesn't matter so it's OK in full-load.
I have a guy in our forums with both sensors stuck at 51°C.

I have had the window a crack open in the guest/office room at my place... it may be like 60F in here... nice and cool, and even priming at 1.35v 4.1ghz on my E8500 E0 I can't break 40C!!! LOL

I guess that's a good thing. I've a feeling I hit 38-40C on load anyway... I'm getting used to the sensors. At least I can go above 40C when I have the room a bit hotter, and I'm sure I can go above 40C if I crank more volts into it.

What are safe voltage for E0 steppings nowadays? I'm on water...

What are safe voltage for E0 steppings nowadays? I'm on water...

It's not a matter of stepping, but rather architecture. 65nm chips are 1.5v and 45nm are, depending on your outlook, either 1.3625(Conservative), 1.4v(Midrange), or 1.45v(Max voltage).

I personally like to stay under 1.3625v and I am using water as well. In my somewhat limited experience, I find that the extra voltage vs actual gains makes it so not worth it to all out crank the voltage in most cases.

It's not a matter of stepping, but rather architecture. 65nm chips are 1.5v and 45nm are, depending on your outlook, either 1.3625(Conservative), 1.4v(Midrange), or 1.45v(Max voltage).

I personally like to stay under 1.3625v and I am using water as well. In my somewhat limited experience, I find that the extra voltage vs actual gains makes it so not worth it to all out crank the voltage in most cases.

Alright, good... I'm running 1.40-1.425v. I may just keep it at that. Knock on wood my luck does pretty well as far as not killing CPUs. I've only killed GPUs. :)

I don't think the software is wrong, I think it's the chips. My BIOS reads 24C, once I get into Windows I'm looking at 38C-39C and a high of 51C on load.

Sounds like a TJmax issue to me.

If tjmax of the 8400 is 85 and coretemp is set to 100, your temps will be off 15c

edit:
Dont remember the differnt tjmaxs, but e8400 appears to have 100C tjmax although I see people posting all differnt ones. And I seem to recall that coretemp came out with a lower tjmax setting for the 45nm cpus...

Last edited:
Distance to tjmax is more important... for life of CPU

TJMAx is more important if you are trying to get a some what accurate idea of your CPU temps though.

When you change tjmax in settings, your coretemp changes. Since Distance to TJ did not change.. this proves core temp reads distance to tjmax not actual temps.

EDIT: Hmm i guess this means with coretemp TJmax is more important :S

My e8400 gives me high temperatures and I have checked the heatsink is placed securely many times. At 3.825 Ghz my voltage without orthos running reads 1.312 volts in CPU-Z but drops to 1.28 v with Orthos running. My temperature using Real Temp 2.7 reads 47 C at rest and low 70s full load. My voltage is only moderatley increased compared to what a lot of people on these forums run their E8400s but I seem to be getting higher temperatures than normal.

I've touched the heatsink at the base while running orthos and it feels warm, but not hot. Low 70s C equates to about 150 F and would guestimate that the base feels around 90 F. If I read this thread correctly some overclockers measured their CPU temps with a heatsink which had an onboard thermo-sensor and found that it gave much lower temperatures than what the E8400s were reporting, My temperatures like others in this thread have reported INSTANTANIOUS 10 degrees C jumps when clicking on orthos, I know Intel really messed up the temperature sensors on the early E8400s. I'm running a freezer 7 and its blowing down instead of out the back which I'm going to reposition maybe tomorrow but I can't imagine that would effect the CPU temperature by more than 2-3 degrees celsius.

How common is above average temperatures on early E8400s?

A lot of people report stuck diodes until they reach a certain temperature, but theirs seem work "correctly" after that. Mine gives me high temperatures period. So if nothing can be determined im going to have to use unsophisticated methods and just gauge if the heatsink feels hot as someone in this thread has mentioned. I have a pretty good batch number of Q707XXX (forgot the rest) which some report going to 4.3 ghz at 1.33 volts and im only striving for 3.8 ghz and getting higher temperatures at lower voltages.

Sounds like sensors on my E8400 are FUBAR, doesn't it? So, would 70 C feel warm or hot to touch at the base?

Back