• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EA's Origin service... Do you like it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you like EA's Origin service?

• Yes! Its worth it to have my games on another service?

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • Sort of... The games I want are only available on Origin

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • No. I dislike Origin or the fact that I have to use yet ANOTHER service

Votes: 79 63.2%
  • Goat

Votes: 14 11.2%

• Total voters
I wish i didn't have to use another service. That being said I have no complaints, works fine and like previous said looks a little more updated then steam.

So is it like steam in that you can redownload your games at any time?

Part of why I have never bought from the EA store is because you have to "buy" download insurance to make sure that you could download the game again in 6 months time (or at least thats how it was when I last looked at it)

I've dl'd and installed TOR & BF3 on multiple machines without an issue and to my knowledge never purchased any download insurance from them.

As far as I can tell its just a steam copy/competitor

I've dl'd and installed TOR & BF3 on multiple machines without an issue and to my knowledge never purchased any download insurance from them.

As far as I can tell its just a steam copy/competitor

Same...

I have wiped out this laptop several times.. reinstalled.. The first time I re-downloaded Dead Space 2 and BF3, this past time I just copied the origin games folder and it performed a simple file check, then it was good to go!

I don't care for EA or origin, especially after reading many many horror stories regarding customer service and payment problems. But I have a couple of games on it and its caused me no problems so I personally can not complain. That being said, I wont be going out of my way to buy games on origin.

I just don't see what the big deal is. It isn't that resource intensive, especially by today's standards of most (gaming) PCs having at least 4GB of RAM and it doesn't really use any CPU resources really either. At the same time it allows you to mostly seamlessly chat with friends [while in-game], allows for groups, etc.

To me it's just the principal of the whole thing. The idea is great but I'd like to be able to say "You know what, I don't want to use this." and I guess in all fairness that's nit picking on my end but I still feel I should have a choice in the matter. One of the things I have the biggest problem with though is if I want to play a game online and steam is down... I can't even play the game, even though I have all the files I need on my pc.

Last edited:
I don't like EA in general, but the main reason is I don't want to have a 2nd downloading service installed. Currently I just use steam and the rest are downloaded games that don't require another service to play. It just seems like there are more downloading services that are popping up that require their own background program. I'm choosing to stick with steam, which will help increase the amount of games that are on steam or are steamworks games, while not having any extra DRM.

I think it is ok, but why copy steam (other than you will make $$$$$) it just aggravates me to have to switch between the two.

I think it is ok, but why copy steam (other than you will make $$$$$) it just aggravates me to have to switch between the two.

The part in parentheses answers the part before it 100%. EA is a very large developer with a large enough library to try it's own system. Honestly why would they give part of their profits to Steam if they can keep it all inhouse. I'm not saying I like the idea of having to use both but I can see why they would do it.

I personally love Steam as I hate keeping track of disks (not to mention keeping them in good enough shape to use) and keys.

I've only used origin for BFBC2 becasue they had a better deal than steam when I bought it, and I also found out when I bought MOA (big waste of money) retail as soon as I registered it with my account it was available for download as well which is nice.

Valve and Steam have been disrupting the business model in the video game industry a lot. So ofc everyone is gonna want their own. The same way everyone wants their own iTunes. You suddenly control not just the game, but the distribution, the individual gamer accounts and their linked credit cards. More over it makes it a million times easier to sell them more things. Think about how simple it is to buy DLC for computer game via steam. And the reason they let you import game into steam is because they want to get you stuck there. They then have the power and can better control the experience end to end while cutting out previous middle men like game stop.

I have tons of games on Steam and only BF3 on Origin. No issues with Origin, and no unresolved issues with Steam. (couple hiccups though)
Really, no biggie. I can still use steam chat when playing BF3 and can cruise on offline mode when playing single player games.

Origin and Steam are much less offensive to me than publishers/developers requiring online connections when playing single player games. (looking at you Blizzard)
AND Steam has given so much exposure to independent developers, it's difficult to NOT like them. Hoping Origin will be as useful and that both will serve up hooks so that a 3rd party will be able to manage the games in both systems. :)

Edit: Good point about steam letting you put shortcuts... gonna have to link to my BF3 game!

I am pretty neutral on Origin, it's just there...

The only issue I have is that I would prefer to have all my games located in one place, which is why I still add all my games to steam :D

I feel that Origin doesn't run and isn't nearly as polished as steam and the way they decided to not let you change a name and that your account name will forever be your name. not a big deal but annoying there are sales some have been pretty good but having to log into yet another service and while it doesn't take up many resources alot of little programs end up equaling quite a bit so adding in origin just so I can play BF3 was annoying but still worth BF3.

Long story short I tolerate Origin but if I could move the games from origin to steam and drop origin all together i would.

It's ok, it's just EA's version of steam without having to pay Steam any money. Do I wish everything could have been on 1 platform like Steam. Yes I do, But you gota deal with it if you want to play BF3, ME3 and any newer EA games. I would not be surprised if other's followed in EA footsteps and released their own version, lowering steams hold on the digital content.

I feel that Origin doesn't run and isn't nearly as polished as steam and the way they decided to not let you change a name and that your account name will forever be your name. not a big deal but annoying there are sales some have been pretty good but having to log into yet another service and while it doesn't take up many resources alot of little programs end up equaling quite a bit so adding in origin just so I can play BF3 was annoying but still worth BF3.

Long story short I tolerate Origin but if I could move the games from origin to steam and drop origin all together i would.

You can change your name in Origin. I have a link in the BF Platoon thread.

yea but its not as easy as in steam. I have done it and the other problem is that there are no duplicates like in steam i can have 10 friends all named skippy the wonder dog but since i have old accounts with my normal name Pvt.Dancer that i havent been able to retrieve and those accounts dont have my BF3 purchase on them im a little SOL.

just not a great system.

Back