• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ECS GF8200A Black Edition, can't boot into windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xer0syk0

Registered
EDIT:

Figured it out. Had to set SATA Mode to SATA HARD DRIVE instead of AHCI.

Hey guys,

I recently purchased an ECS 8200A + Phenom 9850BE CPU + Mobo barebones kit. Everything was going just fine until I noticed that I could not set my voltages below 1.554v no matter what I did.

I tried updating my BIOS using the latest version of the drivers from here: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Dow...nuID=6&LanID=0

I flashed from windows xp pro using the first one, and in the middle of the flashing the application crashed and caused my computer to auto-shutdown. I was then able to get into the BIOS, but not into windows.

I managed to capture the bluescreen it gives after it arrives at the Windows XP Pro loading screen (where the little green progress bar is supposed to start loading). It said that there was a hard drive problem, and that mine might be corrupted.

I took out the hard drive and ran it in another computer. No problems, the hard drive was completely fine. Windows booted up just fine. Even chkdsk'd it, no problems.

I then tried reflashing the motherboard through a bootable USB; each time I did so (using what that link above there has, with AFUDOS) using /P /B /N /C switches. It said that flashing was complete, and it automatically restarted my computer. Still the same blue screen error, can't get into windows.

I took out the CMOS battery for 10 minutes and placed it back in. No good.
Still couldn't get into the OS.

Everytime I reflash, the first thing that appears on my screen is
"DQS training failed on previous boot, reverted to slower DRAM speed".

It then says.

"CMOS Checksum Bad"
"Hit F1 to continue to Setup"
I can then go straight to the BIOS, and everything seems to be in working order. I just can't get into windows though.

I do not seem to get the checksum error after the first setup after every reflash.

Does anyone know what I should do? Or does anyone have a working BIOS that they could upload for me to reflash with (GF8200A)?

Thanks, your help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCF!

Glad you figured out the problem. Often, being there with the rig is the biggest advantage. There have been a few problems with board manufacturers implementing the SATA AHCL function so your solution doesn't surprise me too much, though I probably wouldn't have thought of it ... ;)

Probably youre in AHCI mode the default of this motherboard. You have to set it into SATA mode....Unlike any other motherboard brand...ECS board has a problem in AHCI mode when booting into windows...Until now i don't know how to switch to ahci mode to used the sata4 and sata 5 port on my motherboard...

Back