• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Elegant cooling setups for 5960x/6900K in R5 Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arlekiin

Registered
First of all hi everyone I'm new here,

To business,
I'm thinking about getting myself a fancy 8core in a 5R case with a 1080gtx.
It will be a workstation for me for 3d, cad, rendering, sculpting and maybe some video editing. Will top it off with 64gb's of ssd and a 512gb m.2
I am looking for relatively silent ways to cool my system I'm thinking either corsair or EK predator or maybe even big air if it turns out to be the most elegant/bullet proof option. Will be going for a rock solid overclock so wont be going to extremes but maybe 4+ on 5960X and ~4,2 on 6900K. Now my question is:

a) Should I get an EK predator and expand the loop and fit a waterblock on to 1080gtx.
b) Leave 1080 aircooled
c) Have another aio/small loop for 1080?
d) EK Predator 360 or is 240 enough?
e) Maybe big air still has enough chops to completely avoid water?

Thanks, im just probing the hive-mind here so it's all about opinions let me know what would you do?

If you like the looks of the tower coolers, the D15 or similar will do well for you. If not, then I would probably go with the Predator 360 or full custom loop, but I wouldn't add the GPU unless you add another 240 rad as well. The aftermarket coolers on the 1080s should be super quiet, so I wouldn't plan on water for them unless you test it out and it still isn't quiet enough for you.

Hi,

Initially i was planning to go with air-tower but as I researched the cpu's i found out that water would be much better and allow me to hit the speeds I'd like easily. Currently on my old system I already have a top of the line big-air Megahalem or whatever (big tower with a transformers face on the butterfly stacks). Supposedly still quite good and within ~2c from current big-air top end coolers.
So it would seem I will go with Predator 360 with quick connects and as you said I don't think I will be getting a waterblock for my geforce as they are expensive and an extra hassle. Especially if the gains are not that big. Running a 360mm radiator will maybe allow me to run it on low pump and fan speed and still have enough headroom to keep it cool under a moderate-high OC. Also decided to go with a refurbished offering from ekwb because I do not see any drawback to that as they come with full warranty and have been upgraded to latest revision and should not have any O ring troubles etc. Besides that does anyone know if exchanging the VARDAR fans with something from noctua would yield a reasonable benefit in reduced volume/soundpressure?

Thanks,

Those fans are pretty decent from what reviews have said. I'd see what you think of them before swapping them out.

Yes thats the voice of reason I was hoping to hear. I will try the vardar fans out and see how they fare.

Back