• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Elite Dangerous

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
Back to playing Elite Dangerous with my new 43" 4K UHD monitor...it's awesome.

The last time I played was before the Horizons launch (it was still in beta).

Is anyone playing Horizons? Is it worth the extra $$?

my friend plays that game a alot. pretty sure he just bought what ever expansion came out, seems like fun but not for mee i dont have the attention span to do the missions.

I remember managing to connect a GTX 960 to my 4k TV, and ignoring the low fps it looked great. But I went the ultra-wide route just for this game and that looks great too. Didn't play well with my Vive but I hear the Rift is another great option.

I'm inactive in game at the moment. The early Horizons content gets you onto planet surfaces and expands things a bit. The latest update with fighters and other things I've not really delved into.

The last thing I did was the Distant Worlds expedition, which I will go back for the meetup event December 1st.

I've been playing the game in "Solo Mode" since I started playing.

Have you played in the other mode? (forget the name)

There's Open and Groups. I also mostly stuck around Solo most of my early gametime. I occasionally did a Buckyball run, which has rules of running in open only to be counted. I was only introduced to groups for the Distant World expedition, where in groups it is invite only so you don't have the risk of Open. This was post-Horizons so in case you're not aware, it was a loosely coordinated trip starting at the start of the year to go to the other end of the galaxy. Once I got back from that trip, I stopped playing and moved on to other universes.

Depends, if this is anything like the one I played on my old Amiga (around 1993-4) you will have lots of time where nothing happens followed by short bursts of frenzied activity dodging missiles/lasers. Personally I love the space ambience and the soundtrack is amazing but I didn't go too much into the DLC since I mostly play solo :)

It's a space sim...but you can mine, trade, bounty hunt, pirate, explore, join a war, run missions, etc.

The world (space) is simply huge...just huge.

Just got my 1st Python! Not enough cash to fully outfit yet, but I like it much better than the Type 7 / Fer de Lance combo I was running!

Some 4K UHD Eye Candy!

First, a screen shot of my Python landed on a planet, with my SRV on the foreground:

Python-SRV.jpg

And I made a journey out to the massive star Betelgeuse in my Asp Explorer...it's HUGE!

Betelgeuse 2.jpg

It's a space sim...but you can mine, trade, bounty hunt, pirate, explore, join a war, run missions, etc.

The world (space) is simply huge...just huge.

Just got my 1st Python! Not enough cash to fully outfit yet, but I like it much better than the Type 7 / Fer de Lance combo I was running!

??

Python and Fer De Lance are both types of snakes but somehow i feel like that's not what you're talking about?

??

Python and Fer De Lance are both types of snakes but somehow i feel like that's not what you're talking about?

Yes - Google is your friend. Many of the ships in-game are named after snakes:

Sidewinder
Cobra
Viper
Asp
Python
Fer de Lance
Anaconda

Etc.

I finally let the game update to the latest major version and getting ready for the meetup next week. I've forgotten so much, not helped that they changed a lot also. Trying to work out what to buy for a Keelback so I can try out the fighter modules...

Let me know how they work out.

After you test them, you should dump the Keelback...it's a floating target barge!

I just did my first engineer upgrades... I get an 18 Ly single jump range on my fully loaded out Python (still have a few more levels on the jump drive.)

I get a 40 Ly single jump range on my Asp Explorer now.

Best upgrade so far it "Dirty Drives" on my Python thrusters...increases speed and turn rate. Has made combat in the Python much more fulfilling! :D

Only reason I got the Keelback is it's the only ship I can realistically afford that will take a fighter bay, and it is the fighters I wanted to test out. I took the imperial one on a quick canyon run a moment ago and... let's just say I'm not used to the relative handling of it yet!

Got a bit nostalgic looking at my ship collection, especially as I could now transfer them all into one station to simplify things and not have to play fetch. I have a mothballed Python, stripped down of equipment. I never took to it and am debating selling it. On paper it seemed a good all rounder but it didn't suit my style. My role specific ships are Clipper as trader, Asp for exploration, and Vulture for pewpewpew.

I keep debating if I should get an 'conda. One ship to rule them all... long jump range, large cargo capacity, and can be armed heavily. Not necessarily all of those at the same time! But even with discounts I'd have to sell the Python, and be too poor to upgrade it to something interesting.

You can store ship modules now too - and that's awesome.

If you need to build up cash, let me know - I found two pretty good ways to do it...with one I can make about 5 million credits an hour with my Python.

The Python is a good ship for me - can put modules in it to do just about everything.

Thanks for offer, but I have too many games, too little time. ED isn't a priority at the moment apart from the Distant Worlds meetup.

On module storage, I've yet to look in detail, but could you for example sign up with each of the powerplay factions, unlock their stuff then cram your storage full of it? Move to next one and so on...

I don't see why you couldn't store the faction specific stuff.

I'm not sure if there is a limit for module storage...I haven't hit it yet.

The maximum number of ship modules you can store is 60.

Also, I visited the local Universal Cartographer's office and discovered that I was the first to survey 3 system bodies! Now, it's just 3 boring asteroid belts that no one else was interested in...but it's nice to see Dr Clivecan as the first to discover on the official system view! Keep a look out for more Dr Clivecan work! :thup:

If nothing has changed, asteroid belts are zero cash value so many will skip them. If you do a trip more than 1kly out of the bubble then a lot of the stuff hasn't been visited before, and you can tag as much as you can be bothered to. I've got Elite in exploring and debating if I can be bothered to do it in the others.

Back