• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Elite Dangerous

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've spent enough on ship kits and paint jobs for it to be the equivalent of a monthly payment! :p

It gets lonely in those stars with no direction and a void in my friends list... spent a lot of time browsing through YouTube videos just trying to find the right materials for engineering and the fastest way to go about it (which I'm convinced there is none by this point). I should probably find a community/clan to play with, but I guess I'm just not as adept at social gaming as I used to be back in my good ole WoW days.

I'm about to set the X56 back up though and try to dive back in. I just can't let that Vette collect dust no matter how much this grind is going to pain me. Just need to focus on getting engineered enough to make my way out to Pleiades and take part in the Thargoid invasion. It just is rather sad you have to go through such pain staking trivial tasks in order to make your ship in tip top shape for the best advantage.

Well once I get back in your more than welcome to add me to the list. I might be really casual but just can't put the time in like I use to for me with EVE Online back in the day (2003-2010). Just don't have that type of time anymore.

I'm just as casual which is half the problem lol.

Already put the X56 away after a few hours of hunting transport ships for Chemical Processors and coming up with nothing to show for it.

I'm either missing something obvious or just having terrible luck.

OK - with the 3.0 patch, I've gotten back into Elite Dangerous.

Major changes...especially to engineering. It's "easier" now:

- You are always guaranteed to get better on a roll. There are fixed negatives that you get when you go from G1 to G2, etc. And the positive affects are the only thing randomized.
- There are material traders now. You can trade raw, manufactured, and data items. But only raw for raw, manufactured for manufactured, etc. If you trade materials within the same "class" then you get the best "exchange" from high to low. So, you no longer have to find every stinking item as you can trade for most of them.

Also - I got an Oculus Rift VR system this past Saturday. Once you get the system setup (it is far from "plug and play"), and get the elite HUD colors and brightness set, and get "used" to seeing things through a basically "sort-of smudged glasses" view...the game is even more amazing and pretty.

The easiest way to explain it is this:

- Without VR, you are looking through a window into your cockpit...and looking out the window of the cockpit.
- With VR you feel like you are actually IN the cockpit and looking out the window of the cockpit.

- The "mission board" is actually a curved holographic display that pops up in front of you. In VR, if you angle and position your head just right, you can look behind it.
- I tend to lean back in my chair when looking at the mission board. While leaning back, I can look down and see my chest and the neck of my flight suit. Your flight chair is a "high back" chair that wraps around your head. When you look left and right, you can see the head support!
- I find myself ducking sometimes when getting buzzed by high speed ships as it looks like they are going to hit you!
- A space station looks truly amazing as you align your flight path to enter the mail slot.

Anyone signed up for Distant Worlds 2? I did the original, and have signed up to do it again. I should look at engineering, as the last trip was before that, and did it with 34LY max jump range and no neutron star boosts, which I haven't tried to do yet.

I only quickly tried it in VR, it didn't agree with me and induced motion sickness quiet strongly that other content doesn't.

I'm currently in the process of preparing to move from Chicago to San Antonio. First purchase when I get there is going to be a 4K OLED TV to play ED on. New setup is going to take stick and throttle placement in mind - not sure what route I'm going to go until I figure out what the layout of my place will be.

I'll probably do something ridiculous like this -
and mount the joystick and throttle to my chair.

Not sure if I'll ever be able to do the VR. I just can't buy into it yet. I don't really see myself being able to play for hours with something strapped to my face. I like the concept, but I'll wait for things to get more streamlined.

Not sure if I'll ever be able to do the VR. I just can't buy into it yet. I don't really see myself being able to play for hours with something strapped to my face. I like the concept, but I'll wait for things to get more streamlined.

VR is cool, I do enjoy it but its still early and you really want high end hardware to make it the best it can. For TV wise, if you can get one that supports faster than 60Hz great, though I think we are still stuck with 4k 60Hz TV's currently. I do enjoy my 4k TV, and probably should consider hooking up my PC to it as well to enjoy some 4K couch play though right now just using a steam link for that process.

I don't think I'm going to be in the market for anything that can pump out more than 60FPS at 4K for a while with the way graphics card prices are going.

As well as waiting for 144hz 4K monitors to come out... it's just taking too long and they won't be at a price point I'm comfortable with. So 4K OLED at about 1500 or less is the goal and should be a good start as my main goal is to finally upgrade to 4K for movies. I can live without playing all my games in 4K for a little while longer. Not sure what kind of performance I'll get out of my 970 anyways, but I figure using the TV is a good test to see what it's like.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-OLED55B6P-55-Inch-Ultra/dp/B01CDF9S1G is 1300 for the 2 year old model so I have a feeling I should be able to snag quite a deal soon on a 2017.

My main monitor is a Samsung 43" 4K UHD TV (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EBGJYSC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I did a lot of research on 4K TVs before making one my main computer monitor...input lag is the big thing to look for.

I also have two 23" 1920x1080 monitors (mounted on top of each other) to the left of my main monitor. Mounted on top of each other they are just about the same height as the 4K TV.

43" is about as big as I can go to see the whole screen without having to turn my head. Runs 4K at 60 Hz (have to make sure you get the proper HDMI cable). And my Titan X Pascal card drives all games at 60 FPS at 4K.

As far as having something strapped to your face, with the Oculus Rift...you forget that you have it on after you get used to it. It's very comfortable.

Two days ago I started at 10,000 Ly multi-stop tourist tour in my brand new (and newly engineered) Beluga Liner (The Frosty Buckets). She can do just under 35 Ly per jump now. For being a big ship, it maneuvers very well (mostly due to it's paper-thin armor). The engine sound is the best out of any of the ships I have (although the Cutter is a close second).

Back