• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Elite Dangerous

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I saw the update on aliens too! I haven't had the time to play at all lately :(

But I will definitely have to try out neutron hopping sometime soon!

I'm doing my current long-range run with an extra fuel tank. It's the best way to do it as you can chain more neutron star jumps back-to-back.

I've got my "neutron charging" technique down pretty good now - can do 4,000+ Ly an hour.

Woo HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Explorer - Elite.jpg

And some more eye candy...

Neutron World:

Neutron World.jpg

Now that's a LONG JUMP...200.41 Ly!

LONG Jump.jpg

This was a scary jump...jumped into this system...Neutron Star on top of an M-class star!

Scary Jump.jpg

Such a pretty view!

Pretty View 1.jpg

Close to the galactic core...now that's A LOT of stars!

Core - A Lot of Stars.jpg

Bottom of the Milky Way Galactic Plane...near the core

Bottom of Galactic Plane.jpg

I need to start making it a habit to jump on and play an hour or two worth of bounties every other day... I've been putting off playing since I haven't had huge 4 hour blocks of time where I can play, but I'd still like to make progress!

Still terrified to even attempt neutron star jumping, but I don't think I'll be doing that in my Vulture.

You will be assimilated!

I need to find some flipping painitite (or however the heck you spell it!)

I'm more excited about ship naming!

I am partial to: (____:____) myself!

Nice and shiny. When I tried one previously in beta, I never managed to get it out of a station with paintwork intact...

Haha - yeah - I hit the side of the station mail slot a few times last night.

And she is FAST too! 2,300 Tons and boosts to 420 m/s! My Anaconda at 1,400 Tons only boosts to 320 m/s.

Being so heavy, she's squishy when you try for fast turns. I love that the physics in this game are implemented well.

Did I mention how awesome the interior looks? :D

Back to the grind for me! 95% through expert for combat! Just found the Fusang system which has great locations for bounty hunting.

As soon as I'm done with this huge move for work next week I am going to buy the X56. Gettin' that overtime pay so it's about time I treat myself to it lol

That's really what pushed me over the edge - when you mentioned it has more buttons I was skeptical because the X52 Pro already has way more buttons than my Sidewinder FB2... but when it comes down to it there are A LOT more things I could have hotkey'd to my stick if it had the ability.

So like you've told me before... I am totally looking forward to being able to set landing gear, lights, silent running, etc to flick switches... not to mention I'll be able to assign power distribution to something on the thorttle or the stick which will be HUGE for me. Right now I have to use the arrow keys on the keyboard and it's not very useful since I have to take my second hand off the buttons on the stick - which I have hotkey'd weapon group swapping, super-cruse, h-jump, and set throttle to 0%.

I should just order the stick right now, but I'll cry with it just sitting around all this week into next.

I'm going to be living in the new office since it is imperative our call center functions or we potentially face hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines! Maybe I should just set up shop and play there :)

--update---

aaannnndd I ordered it. So I'll be silently weeping while at work all week once it gets here on Tuesday.

Last edited:
Hehe - congrats!

The default mapping on the joystick is pretty good (select X56 from the in-game settings menu.)

There are 2 hats on the right joystick. The right one is mapped to pips, the left one to left: Nav panel, right: system panel, bottom: hud panel, and top: comms panel.

There is a thumb joystick on the right joystick mapped to thrusters. I couldn't coordinate the thrusters with this, so I set this thumb stick to up/down thrusters...and the thumb joystick on the throttle to left/right thrusters.

Good to know there is a base template! I was worried I'd spend hours mapping buttons - I will probably use it and modify from there. I don't know how much I would like the thumb stick for thrusters either. I will probably map one of the hats since that's what I use now.

I am tempted to buy a 3rd monitor too - I saw other peoples setups in all the reviews on the joystick of people using the 3 screen view so you can see out of the side windows of your ship. Sadly can't afford to bomb the money on a 4k TV and gfx card upgrades yet so for $120 to get a 3rd identical screen might be worth it to tide me over.

I'm getting Lasik in April and that's going to be a sizable chunk of change (Roughly 4k :nuts:), BUT it should be worth it given all the eye sight issues I've been facing the last few years.

Back