• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

End of Summer TeamRace SIGN UP THREAD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sure i guess.

metra
metra
6-8.

However, i might persuade my bro to stop folding and do SETI so the number could be 12-16.

Labotomy Jack said:
Sounds like fun :)

Labotomy Jack
Labotomy Jack
~16/day

What exactly does the race entail btw?

In past Team Races basically we take all those who want to participate and one way or another divide up into teams and then you just keep crunching until a predetermined goal is reached. The goal can either be the first team to reach a certain number of WUs first or you can set a date and then the team who has done the most WUs when that date arrives wins. Some races have had teams based on friendships however that method usually leads to some lopsided teams, the last couple have been setup with an eye toward all teams being relatively equal to start. HOWEVER, TeamRaces are meant as incentive builders, once teams are up and running members are encouraged to do whatever to improve their production numbers, such as, adding machines to the pharm, recruiting friends and relatives to start crunching for your account, and tweaking those machines for every last productive mhz. It all benefits the entire team through heightened production, and just a sense of friendly competition.

SkyHook

Re: As Far As I'm Concerned-NO!

SkyHook said:
I'm not the final word on anything here, but as far as I'm concerned, Caching should NOT BE ALLOWED. In the past races I've been involved in it wasn't allowed and shouldn't be here either.
SkyHook
If I am using SetiQueue, is there a way to not use the cache or would I have to reconfigure my whole pharm?
Figured I might as well find out now in case I need to depleat the 1000 wu's or change something in my SetiQueue configuration.

In this case, "caching" means having a number of completed WUs ready before the race begins... then dumping the cache when the race starts; thus giving a tean an unfair advantage...

Using a WU caching program to keep up production benefits not only the races but the team as a whole too....

If I am using SetiQueue, is there a way to not use the cache or would I have to reconfigure my whole pharm?
Figured I might as well find out now in case I need to depleat the 1000 wu's or change something in my SetiQueue configuration.

NO! NO! NO!

Using SETIQueue to have a supply of WUs stocked up ready for processing is perfectly fine and I even advise people to use it. What people are referring to as far as "cacheing" WUs during a race is the idea of completing WUs prior to the start of a race but not returning them to Berkeley until after the race has begun. What has happened in the past, particularly with some of the BIG interteam races is that as soon as word gets out that a race is in the planning, they start storing completed results instead of sending them back to Berkeley. Now a big race might take a couple of weeks or more to get set up and going so if say you can crunch 25 WUs/day and you hold results for 2 weeks prior to the start of the race, then when the race starts you have a first day number of 375 (25WUs X 14Days)+25 WUs for that day instead of the 25 you actually completed during that day.

Hope that clarifies the term "cacheing" as it refers to races.
SkyHook

:mad: MAN, I HAVE TO LEARN TO TYPE FASTER!!!

Re: NO! NO! NO!

jinx... ;)

SkyHook said:
Using SETIQueue to have a supply of WUs stocked up ready for processing is perfectly fine and I even advise people to use it. What people are referring to as far as "cacheing" WUs during a race is the idea of completing WUs prior to the start of a race but not returning them to Berkeley until after the race has begun. What has happened in the past, particularly with some of the BIG interteam races is that as soon as word gets out that a race is in the planning, they start storing completed results instead of sending them back to Berkeley. Now a big race might take a couple of weeks or more to get set up and going so if say you can crunch 25 WUs/day and you hold results for 2 weeks prior to the start of the race, then when the race starts you have a first day number of 375 (25WUs X 14Days)+25 WUs for that day instead of the 25 you actually completed during that day.

Hope that clarifies the term "cacheing" as it refers to races.
SkyHook

:mad: MAN, I HAVE TO LEARN TO TYPE FASTER!!!

ooops.....almost miss this thread......been busy and away from the forum lately..... anyway YES, how can a team race w/ the sharky.....:p

LandShark
Gary a.k.a. LandShark
currently is 125-140/day, but will be up to 200+/day later. (just give u a heads up and hope i won't mess up the balance)

UpDate

As of right now I have accumulated 25 people wanting to participate in this race. I will try to post a list a little later and am hoping we are able to still get a few more members interested.

As of right now I have also gotten two people as captains, those being:

LandShark
Morpheous

Depending on how many we actually end up with wanting to join in another captain or 2 may be needed.

One big issue is the wide diversity in WU production represented and I am asking opinions on team make up. My personal view is to try and make team with as equal production as possible. Now this might mean that one team has more or less members than another but all teams would have about the same projected production. The other would be some form of Captain's choice, friends might get to be on the same team, but teams can quickly get unbalanced. I'm very open to hearing anyone elses suggestions!

If everyone wants, since I am already collecting data everyday, I can setup collecting the TeamRace data and at the very least make a nightly post here on the forum.

INPUT PLEASE!

SkyHook

i would suggest the "Balance Team Production" format since it will make the race more interest and more motivate to people to increase their production. i know it's hard to have a very balance/exact production, but at least we could "try" to make it as close to each other as possible......

like count me for 200wu/day.

my 0.02...

the problem: if we try the "draft" approach, it is typically close to impossible to get the captains all together online at the same time to pick sides... but we could put together a spreadsheet and email it back and forth as we pick--would be very easy to do...

I suggest the balanced approach.... what are the outputs we are talking about so far?

Has anyone started a spreadsheet yet? :rolleyes:

:D

Back