• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Endless Windows 7 Loading screen loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clock_Work

Registered
Hello. I recently installed new 16gb RAM on my Lenovo U410 Ultrabook and my computer gets stuck in a endless windows loading screen. However, it works fine when I switch back to the old memory. The memory gets detected in BIOS as 16 gb and everything posts fine up untill it gets to the windows loading screen :confused:

The RAM I bought is G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8G) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

I used google (like every internet expert should) and found that if I play with the ram speed I should be able to get it to load, but the issue is Lenovo sucks and my BIOS doesn't have the option to change any of the RAM settings (none) or Voltage settings or anything like that. :sly:

Do you guys have any other solutions for me?

Edit: So I left my ultrabook trying to boot when I went downstairs and when I came back (30 minutes later) I found that it had booted to desktop. The downside is that everything is crawling (I can't even scroll properly) not running. The processor keeps spiking to 100% randomly and it takes about 2 minutes to open firefox. This IS a fresh windows 7 ultimate install running at 64 bits. I don't get it. CPUZ sais my ram is running at 700mhz (even though the ram is 1600).

Edit 2: I also just tried booting with only 1 8gb stick and it works properly no matter what slot I put it in (or weather or not I switch the sticks out). It seems like they just won't work together. It brings me to believe its a capacity issue (16gb being to much). I know of people who put 16 gb of ram in this model of laptop and it worked fine. Can anyone shed some light on the situation here?

Last edited:
What does CPU-Z show as the DRAM frequency w/ only one module installed? And is the Memory Remap option in the BIOS--> Configuration tab enabled or disabled?

Last edited:
What does CPU-Z show as the DRAM frequency w/ only one module installed? And is the Memory Remap option in the BIOS--> Configuration tab enabled or disabled?

Woaah. I only considered turning Memory Remap off when you mentioned it and I just tried it and it works like a charm. :clap:
The DRAM frequency in CPUZ however is 798.9. Why its not an even 800 for a 1600 speed beats me but I'm not complaining. Close enough for me. Thanks dude! :bday:

I get what you guys are saying about the manual, but simple fact is that if the MoBo wouldn't support more than 8 gb, It wouldn't see more than 8 gb no matter how much you shoved in there. But it always saw all 16 for me. It was just that pesky Memory Remap above 4gb option that was slowing my computer down to a crawl. It works like a charm now.

Thank you all for your answers! :D I love this community.

The 798.9MHz entry in the DRAM Frequency field of CPU-Z = 1/2 the effective DRAM frequency of DDR3-1600 (798.9 x 2), which in effect is a variable / oscillating value.

I knew it was 1/2 of the actual DDR3-1600 value but I didn't know it was variable. Thanks!

Back