• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EPOX 8RDA+ Ver. 2.0 is ON SALE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

huneycutt said:
Re'cd the 8RDA+ last evening and installed it and it took off like a champ. The WD HD worked fine with the software for the Intel board on it. Today I tried the Maxor and it can't seem to get the drivers installed for the USB ports on the Epox.

Might be some conflict in software because I had stuff installed on the Maxtor for the computer with the Soltek MB and maybe the EPOX doesn't like that. :-( Just thought I'd give it a try and see what went down.

Thus far the EPOX only OC'ed the Athalon 2100 to a 2700 2.16GHz and seems a bit unstable, locked up and got the blue screen a couple of times but rock steady running it at 2100. I'll play with it some and get it stabalizied. The EPOX has exactly the same BIOS as the Soltek.

If you would please, tell me what setting you use in the BIOS on the EPOX board to push the 2100 to 2700. I'm not that hip to core voltages and all that. All I do is set the fsb to 166 and memory to Auto on the Soltek & its stable but the EPOX locks up using those same settings.

you need to set the multiplier somewhere between 10-11.5 usually. On my 8k3a+(nf7-s rev2 on the way) can do 11*210 perfectly stable on my 1700 dlt3c 0319 @ 1.55v.

I don't know what core that 2100 has, but if it is one of the better ones it should be able to go alot higher on that 8rda+. the mobo should top out between 180-230, and usually at the lower end of that range for an unmodded 8rda+ rev1/1.1. You could then do a vdd mod which would make the max usually at 225-240, for what I have seen on air.

good luck with that mobo, I hope you can get a better oc out of it.

BIOS OC settings question.

Thanx gouda. Athalon XP 2100 downgrade 2700 T'bred B core.
I bought two boxed versions from newegg while they were plentiful and wish I had bought four now . . .

I think I get a zero for the day because I had a few cold ones last evening while building it up and stuck in a "drifty" old DDR RAM stick because didn't want to take time to pull the good Crucial RAM off the Soltek board and put it on the new EPOX. Made the switch to the Cruical while ago and running fine at 1733MHz. Now to get in the BIOS and play with it some and follow your advice and pump this sucker up where it should be. VA-VA-VA-ZOOMM !

I know from ZIP about core voltage and hate to play with something before I have some idea what I'm doing. I know the higher the voltage the faster the CPU runs. DDUUHH?

I'm 62 years old and like a kid with a new toy here . . . :)
Lemme' play 'wif it some . . . :) again. OldBird

Hour or so later: OOOIIEEE! Got that baby rockin' 2195MHz, almost 2.2GHz and stable as a rock.

Last edited:
gouda - geil ram is very hit or miss. I'm glad yours worked out well but I would not recommend them in general. They also are supposed to have absolutely awful customer service.

honeycutt - The way you probably want to do this is first figure out your max FSB and then work from there. Leave your multiplier at stock or even down a notch or two (if it lets you) and just raise the FSB & stress test it with prime95... or anything like that. When you get to a point where you get errors or lockups in those programs then you bump up the ram voltage (vmem) a little bit... see if its stable... then start the process over again until you find the peak. The max ram voltage on the 8rda+ is 2.9 and should be safe... but don't use anymore voltage than you have to.. your board could very well limit the ram in which case more ram voltage will do no good. Once you find the max FSB then find your max CPU speed in the same manner. Overclock until its unstable.. bump up the CPU voltage...overclock...etc. You probably don't want to go higher than 1.85 volts unless you have better than just air cooling. Now the task is to just find the best balance of FSB and multiplier to get you the highest FSB and CPU speed.

By the way, two very useful sites for 8rda+ owners are www.8rda.com and www.8rdafaq.com

How do I tell if this 8RDA+ is a revision 2.0 ?

Demont - thanks. I use the EverCool CUD725 cooler and easily got it up to 2195MHz and that's fast enough for me. FYI, fsb peaks at 168 & if I go 169 it locks up. That's plenty fast enough for me and CPU temp a cool 42C at idle.

What's this multiplier youall keep talking about?
Can't see to find it in my BIOS. Does it go by another name?

I forget what it is called, but its like the 4 or 5 thing down in the chipset section of the bios. Maybe called CPU Ratio or something. I think it should say 13 for the CPU that you have.

[edit] oh yeah, the revision sticker should be in the lower left edge of the board. yours is probably a 1.1
also if it it is a 2.0 you would see an option for VDD (northbridge) voltage.

I'm wondering, do you think the regular geil ddr400s w/ blue heatspreaders can run at 220mhz with the 8rda+ rev 2? My twinmos ddr333 w/ mtec chips tops out at around 220mhz so I'm wondering if I should keep them instead of these fancy looking modules. =)

delta_crash said:
I'm wondering, do you think the regular geil ddr400s w/ blue heatspreaders can run at 220mhz with the 8rda+ rev 2? My twinmos ddr333 w/ mtec chips tops out at around 220mhz so I'm wondering if I should keep them instead of these fancy looking modules. =)

220 is quite respectable and I would not bother upgrading unless you really want to get higher and are willing to spend some cash on some quality pc3500 or pc3700 modules. again... myself and many more knowledgeable people than I consider geil a company to stay away from.

delta_crash said:

Why bother with the regular. If you are risking on geil get golden dragon. for $99 I was stable at ddr482. I ordered another set, I will tell you if they are as good as the first.

Demont you seem rather knowledgable about the subject so I'll ask you here.

I'm thinking of getting the RDA+ 2.0. I have two sticks of xms3200. Would this memory get me into the 225 range?

Tismedt said:
Demont you seem rather knowledgable about the subject so I'll ask you here.

I'm thinking of getting the RDA+ 2.0. I have two sticks of xms3200. Would this memory get me into the 225 range?

It is probably possible with relaxed timings... beyond that there is really no way to predict.

gouda96: where did you get your geils for $99? Does your shop ship internationally?

I've decided to sell these blue geil ddr400 sticks. Are those dragons the best option for $100? Please let me know how high they can hit in your amd rig. Thanks.

Yo Mikesta !

If you don't get the board you want don't even open it, then hold it a week and then RMA it and keep doing that until you get the one you want. It'll be somewhat time consuming and cost a few bucks freight but as long as you don't open it no harm done and you won't pay the 15% restocking fee that bites.

delta_crash said:
gouda96: where did you get your geils for $99? Does your shop ship internationally?

I've decided to sell these blue geil ddr400 sticks. Are those dragons the best option for $100? Please let me know how high they can hit in your amd rig. Thanks.

newegg.com is where i bought them. I don't think they ship internationally though, because I have heard people outside the us complaining about not being able to buy from newegg.

I bought another set, it arrived today along with my new nf7-s rev2 and ic7-g. I realy hope this new set is as good as the first :D. I will let you know how they do.

Any news about where to get the RDA+ rev2.*? I'm hoping to see them soon. I have a birthday present coming to me and this would be perfect. Well this and some new 3500 ram

Thanks for replies Gouda and demont.

I got my nf7-s up the other day. It is stable at 2.47(11.5*215) 1.65vcore/1.7vdd/2.6vdim. It is 42c load with my slk900(u). I am gonna do the L12 mod to my 1700 dlt3c 0319 monster, and I hope to be able to do more like 230*11.5. I am also doing vdd/vdim mods. I am adding a better cooler to nb, putting the nb cooler on the sb, and putting individual heatsinks on the mosfets. Those top mosfets get damn hot!!

Hopefully I will be stable at around 2.6. That is a very conservative goal from where I am now without any mods. I would think 2.65 or 2.7 is more where I will end up :D

NF7-S REV2 IS A FRICKING BEAST!!! STOP WAITING FOR THE EPOX AND GO GET THIS RIGHT NOW!!!!

newegg is selling the 2.0 revision supposedly, they ran out of stock so hopefully they'll be fresh batches of 2.1's I read the comment of the people who recently ordered and the last guy said his was 2.0. hopefullly he's not lying.

Ishxspidey

I got one after that post and i think anyone that says that is full of BS... the 2.0 never even came to USA and 2.1 is not supposed to anytime soon at least.

so is the 2.0 for sale in the US or not?! Anybody with any knowledge of the 2.0 seems to be evading that question and evading "where is it for sale" even more?

truth would be good right about now.

All I know for sure is that the 8RDA+ I got from Newegg the other day says "Rev 2.x" on it.

I have not even had a chance to install the board yet- in the middle of a couple of other projects.

Back