• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Error Code A6 on Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD5H.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hazzyftw

Hey guys, so i got home and turned on my computer only to find it keeps giving me error A6 on the LED debug light, i already tried resetting the CMOS 2 times to no avail, it shows the "BIOS has been reset- Please decide how to continue", but it won't respond to either mouse or keyboard (drivers are installed, computer was working just fine earlier). Manual says error A6 corresponds to:

Detect and install all currently connected SCSI devices.....Im starting to get so frustrated with all these troubles I'm closely edging to just buying a cookie cutter manufacturer computer. I'm just too darn frustrated

Edit: tried replugging my mouse onto the usb slots but it won't even power them up so i can't access move pass the "bios has been reset" screen

Last edited:
"Detect and install all currently connected SCSI devices" sounds to me like it's getting caught up on a drive. First, I'd try unplugging any drives from the SATA ports and see if you can at least get to the BIOS. If you can, plug the drives in one at at time and see if it happens again. If it does, there may be something wrong with the last drive you plugged in.

Ok, heh...Reading your entire post helps. No response from anything at all?

Im trying to get it started with none of the drives on and it still won't power on either the mouse or the keyboard so I'm stuck, i checked the connections for th rest of the components and everything seems to be in place

Edit: Tracer in the mouse powers on and literally powers back down, could it be the darn mobo is ****ed already?
Decided to unplug everything except the cpu fan and the read exhaust fan and still having the same problem, there are NO HDD/SDD's plugged in at all and it still posts at the same error

Last edited:
Unfortunately the drive thing was the only idea I had. It's possible the board is dead, I've had boards die and lock up at random points during POST like this, but I wouldn't go and get a new one just yet. All I can suggest now is go through the basics. Break down the computer to just the bare essentials (power supply, one memory stick, motherboard, and CPU, outside the case if possible, I know it's a pain, but to check for shorts) and work from there. Looking at the specs page, the board has dual bios, so try shifting it over to the back up chip. Besides that, sorry, I've got nothing :shrug:

Could it also be the power supply is going retarded on me already? all fans and things in the board power up but none of the things plugged in via USB are appearing to power up at all

Its less than 2 days old so i can still go to the store and get it exchanged, after this I'm very much done w/ gigabyte as well. Im thinking of either going back to MSI (gave me no problems and i realized the reason my old board died was my ram) or moving to Asus now that the crucial memory i had is gonna get sold online real soon.

I'm done trying to troubleshoot this ****, back to the store it goes and i think i'll go back to MSI, perhaps a Z87-G65 would be a good pick. So disappointed this mobo crapped out on me in less than 48 hours.

Did you build the system outside the case like freakdiablo said?

Before you take the motherboard back, test it with a different PSU if possible.

Or jump the PSU manually and see if the PSU shows any signs of life. Just use a paper clip with one end shoved in the green wire hole and the other end in a black wire hole a couple spots next to the green hole.

PSU is about as old as the mono so it shouldn't be giving me any problems either. And i have no other PSU's to test it out on. Again the computer does power up and drops me off at the bios screen, powers on all the fans and my Seidon, but will not power up anything USB related, which leads me to think its the MoBo

The PSU "shouldn't", but Coolmax is a known crappy brand. Gigabyte isn't.

The PSU "shouldn't", but Coolmax is a known crappy brand. Gigabyte isn't.
EXACTLY.

Coolmax is a POS and regardless, you need to get a better PSU before it takes out your other parts (worst case, but more likely with ****ty brands like Coolmax). USB doesn't run on the same 12v rail the rest of the PC does. I think it is on the 5v rail. So it is possible to boot but the rail USB uses is just a bit wonky.... good enough to boot, not good enough to support a device.

PSU is where I would look first (Just looked it up... a $100 1KW PSU, oof... not a good idea). Your rig also needs no more than 550W as it sits in your sig. If you go two cards, 750W is plenty. Please read the PSU sticky thread linked in my signature for known good brands.

PS - Ram doesn't take out systems either... at least, never saw that before and it is highly unlikely.

Last edited:
In fact, you're probably in this situation because of a crappy PSU. You used to have an Ultra (which died), took out your old motherboard when it went.

You went and got another absolute **** PSU, and another good motherboard, and now that PSU is taking parts out as well.

Well they got it to boot, checked the psu and its working fine, found out the mobo was what kept choking during the boot, not the psu

Switching to the hero, also glad to have the extra 40$ in my pocket for warranty. And regarding the ram case, one of the bottoms for one of the ram was crisp dark. Im gonna try and save up to swap the psu out, I also have my ultra comming baxk soon from repair. Is ultra a bad brand as well?

Last edited:
Replacement options here are
Corsairs hx 750, cx750m, gs700 or hx850 (bit up there in price)

For a 4670K and one 7870, you can use any QUALITY 500W PSU.

Any of the ones listed will do, but there's no need for that much wattage with your setup.

4770k and plan to upgrade to a 280/7950, maybe crossfire but thats long term plans, psu swap comes first

4770k and plan to upgrade to a 280/7950, maybe crossfire but thats long term plans, psu swap comes first

Same answer. A QUALITY 500W PSU will run any single GPU (780Ti, 290X) and a 4770K with ease.

Unless you're running multiple monitors, you have zero need for Crossfire.

Thanks for the input gents, i guess ill delimit myself to a solid 750W PSU, looking chiefly at the HX750, but at least my system is up and running although with the cluster **** of drivers from different mobos i think im going to do a hard format on the SSD to rid it of the clutter.
So far im loving the Hero, i had a little mishap with the detection of my ram earlier but a lil minor troubleshooting did the trick :)

Also considering switching cases, my case has began to give me crap as well (refuses to turn on from button, so i have to turn my comp on using the Power button on the mobo)

Back