• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Error During Windows XP Startup .. Services.exe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi, I found this thread through Google and have signed up because I have the same problem yo had. The computer that is having this problem does not have a floppy drive and I haven't ever seen an A: drive on it. I went to bootdisk.com and paid the $4 for access to all the files. I downloaded NTFSboot and extracted the files. I then went to the link FlailBoy provided and downloaded the msvcp60.zip file. I extracted the file in the ZIP to the same folder I extracted the NTFSboot to. I put in a blank CD and burned all the files to it. I put it into the computer that is having the problem and it's doing nothing. I can't even get to cmd prompt like yo was eventually able to. What yo said, "I tried the Safe mode with cmd prompt, and it is a no go. Same error at the same time, and then a freeze. Well, not so much as a freeze, I can still move the mouse. But I get no response at all, just a blank screen. Alt,CTRL DEL does not work either." applies to me right now.

Can anyone provide any further help? How can I do this without having a floppy drive? Am I burning the files correctly or do I need to do it a different way? Am I doomed? Lol.

Thanks so much!

It's best to at least do a repair install, but be prepared to reinstall service pack 3 and the related hotfixes, because unless a service pack is integrated to the Windows XP CD, you can realistically expect them to be overwritten with service pack-less files! Then you will have serious problems!

I don't feel comfortable anymore with getting DLLs from an unknown website. -> It's recommended that you get the DLL that's missing from your Windows XP CD!

It's best to at least do a repair install, but be prepared to reinstall service pack 3 and the related hotfixes, because unless a service pack is integrated to the Windows XP CD, you can realistically expect them to be overwritten with service pack-less files! Then you will have serious problems!

I don't feel comfortable anymore with getting DLLs from an unknown website. -> It's recommended that you get the DLL that's missing from your Windows XP CD!

I bought this computer 4 or 5 years and like the OP, I couldn't tell you where the CD is or anything for this computer. So if you or anyone would be kind enough, I basically need a walkthrough on how to use the site and the content that I paid for (bootdisk.com). I thought I did it right (burning the disc etc.) but I obviously didn't since it seems like the computer is trying to read the disk but it's not doing anything with it.

...but I obviously didn't since it seems like the computer is trying to read the disk but it's not doing anything with it.

It isn't clear to me whether you changed your boot sequence. Change your boot sequence in the BIOS to use the CDROM as your first boot device. Try that if you haven't already. If you have properly prepared the CD that *should* get you to a command prompt.

It isn't clear to me whether you changed your boot sequence. Change your boot sequence in the BIOS to use the CDROM as your first boot device. Try that if you haven't already. If you have properly prepared the CD that *should* get you to a command prompt.

I went into setup and it's already set to go to the CDROM first. I saved and exited anyway and the new disc that I burned isn't working either. I downloaded the zip (NTFSboot Bootable 1.44 And CDs to read/write to NTFS drives. Includes special ISO w/cdrom drivers to add your own files to.) from Bootdisk.com and just copied the files and msvcp60.dll from http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcp60 onto the blank CD and burned them. Do I need to do something different? I'm still not able to get to command prompt. I even went into setup again and set the second boot sequence to CDROM and it's not changing anything.

I went into setup and it's already set to go to the CDROM first.

Ok. Figured you did but just thought I'd ask.

It sounds like you've done what you're supposed to so I'm a bit stumped here. :confused:

I suppose if it were me, for probably 10-15 bucks you could get a 3.5" floppy drive and try the steps as outlined in this thread. I don't know why this would make any difference; but (unless the floppy itself was bad) I have always been able to get to a command prompt using a floppy bootdisk.

I'm at a friend's house and we took the hard drive out and stuck it into his computer, extracted the DLL, put the hard drive back into my computer, and it booted right up. And he had some extra RAM lying around that we stuck in there too so that makes my night even better.

Thanks for all your help guys!

I'm at a friend's house and we took the hard drive out and stuck it into his computer, extracted the DLL, put the hard drive back into my computer, and it booted right up. And he had some extra RAM lying around that we stuck in there too so that makes my night even better.

Thanks for all your help guys!

LOL-Well that's another way of doing it. :thup:

Oh, and :welcome: to the forums.

A Really Bad Sign

Hello Everyone.
I have just installed a GFX and removed ASUS SmartDoctor and GamersOSD, and after my Windows XP Pro english version /w SP3 restarted, i received the error:
"Services.exe - Unable to Locate Component
This application has failed to start because MSVCP60.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this".

I have tried to download the file and copy it to C:\windows\system32\
And i have tried to receive the file from my brother and placed my harddrive in his computer, and copied it into C:\windows\system32\
Then i placed the harddrive into my own computer, restarted and was able to choose normal start, safemode, safemode with networking, safemode with command prompt, and the last known configuration.

I choose Start Normal, and then the message came again. And then the file msvcp60.dll was removed from the system again.
I dont know whats going on, but its lame..

Any good advice, would be helpful.

A Really Bad Sign

Hello Everyone.
I have just installed a GFX and removed ASUS SmartDoctor and GamersOSD, and after my Windows XP Pro english version /w SP3 restarted, i received the error:
"Services.exe - Unable to Locate Component
This application has failed to start because MSVCP60.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this".

I have tried to download the file and copy it to C:\windows\system32\
And i have tried to receive the file from my brother and placed my harddrive in his computer, and copied it into C:\windows\system32\
Then i placed the harddrive into my own computer, restarted and was able to choose normal start, safemode, safemode with networking, safemode with command prompt, and the last known configuration.

I choose Start Normal, and then the message came again. And then the file msvcp60.dll was removed from the system again.
I dont know whats going on, but its lame..

Any good advice, would be helpful.

I dont know whats going on,QUOTE]

I have the same problem, I got it the same way as well, removing the GamerOSD and ATI display drivers to install the latest version from ATI's website.

I am in the process now of doing a repair-install of windows xp (sp3 inc).
It has now gotten to the gui installation screen with the same error infront. But looks to be installing, although it's sat like that for ages :(

Did you end up finding a fix?

Back