• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ethernet Card or Onboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It actually won't make a different which ethernet you use.

Think of it this way:
Internet gaming requires very little bandwidth compared to what the ethernet card can handle (even a 10 megabit card is fast enough to handle the 5-10 K/s required to play a game). A PCI based ethernet card is only using a fraction of the PCI bus bandwidth available. Likewise, an onboard ethernet connection has no speed advantages over a PCI ethernet connection, unless of course the onboard ethernet is gigabit.

What really matters is the quality and latency of it, but modern integrated ethernet is just as good and if not better than most ethernet cards.

I only use an ethernet card in my pc because I don't have onboard....most of ours (even my file/webserver) use their onboard nVidia ethernet....my friend's pc has triple networking, its crazy, he has a MN-720 802.11g wireless card, and the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe with the dual network ports (one is gigabit).....lol yeah

Back