• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ethernet card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
because i hate installing drivers. it takes hours and i dont like it.... as long as i dont have to install my modem drivers im happy

BUT i dont have my ethernet drivers... they were already installed when i got windows.. but then i formatted and reinstalled windows.. are they still there?

right click My Computer... Properties... Click the Hardware tab... then Device Manager.... and it should be under Network Adaptors...

You should have Onboard LAN, most motherboards do. Assuming you got the parts you said you were going to a week or so ago, your motherboard does have onobard LAN or ethernet. Plug in your ethernet cable into the motherboard in the correct place and after your fresh install of windows, put in the cd that came with your motherboard, install the ethernet or LAN drivers. Before you do anything else install the chipset drivers that came on your mobo CD.

I've explained this to you before, but obviously you didn't understand. If you are using the USB for connecting your computer to your modem, you will have to install the modem's drivers. If your using ethernet, you have to install the ethernet drivers that came with your motherboard if your using onboard LAN and if your using an ethernet card, you would have to install the drivers for it.

I seriously doubt it would take HOURS to install drivers. If it does take you that long, I would seriously consider a new hobby and staying away from any computer as you might injure yourself.

Hours to install drivers?! LOL! I could reinstall Windows and ALL the drivers I need and completely re-tweak Windows in less than that. :clap:

Zatrix said:
ive had my ethernet card on my computer installed for a while but never used it..... if i pluged my ethernet cable into it right now and turned my comp on would i be on the internet?

It depends...in my house -YES - in yours???. it just depends on your setup.

i see more sarcasm on the boards daily....

anyways, simply plugging in a cable to your ethernet card does not connect you to the internet. but you haven't given us enough information to work with here.

we need to know what's on the other end of that cable(ie. do you have cable internet or dsl or a connection in a dorm room?)

we need to know if the drivers are installed for your network card(instructions above)

Back