• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ethernet Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ztdesigninc

I know a strange question - but as more and more device connect to the traditional router doues anyone know a good way to keep it cool.

I cant buy an ethernet powered fan :shrug: soooooo looking for ideas.

Thanks for your posts

If the router is snazzy enough to have a usb port that'll run a fan. Failing that you could crack it open and bring it some power to run a fan, or at least tack on a heatsink.

Is it not performing properly or are you having any issues? I find my wireless modem stays warm, but not to the point that I feel the need to address its cooling... especially since I rent it!

If your router is PoE injected, you might be able to run a fan off of that.. I'm not sure what voltage PoE carries.

If the router is snazzy enough to have a usb port that'll run a fan. Failing that you could crack it open and bring it some power to run a fan, or at least tack on a heatsink.

Probably a bad idea. A lot of fans draw more than the 2.5W a USB 2.0 port is rated for, and frying circuits in the router kind of defeats the point of keeping it cool :)

Try gluing heatsinks to the CPU and Ethernet chips inside. I find that plenty even if the router is being heavily overclocked. (Usually, the power supply is what limits how much you can overclock a router, so get a better wall wart and add some caps to the voltage rails.

Half an amp is half an amp, if it wants to call its port USB2.0 it has to be able to cough up half an amp.
Most consumer fans draw 0.1 to 0.3 amps of 12v, significantly less at 5v.

That said, I was thinking a natively USB fan.

Half an amp is half an amp, if it wants to call its port USB2.0 it has to be able to cough up half an amp.
Most consumer fans draw 0.1 to 0.3 amps of 12v, significantly less at 5v.

That said, I was thinking a natively USB fan.

If it wants to call its port USB 2.0, then it's only going hand out 100 mA unless there's a chip in the fan negotiating with the controller for more current. Half a watt isn't much of a fan :) Probably better to take the router out of its case and apply some nice copper heatsinks with thermal tape.

Well its one of those cheap one you get, so it doesn't get a usb port but i have a spare one so might crack it open and add a little fan powered by the ethernet.

Surely there's some power coming through there!

Get a Fritz box :)
Or a real rack mounted Alcatel "blade" , it comes with a San Ace fan :D

Those plastic -fits in the palm of my hand- routers/switches are designed to fail/melt/burn 10 seconds after the warranty expires anyways...

Ultimately, just a simple mains powered "desk" fan will work also to get some airflow over the components.. if you remove the top plastic casing.

I had to google the Fritz box but it sounds awesome!! but dont really understand the go faster fins :/

Well its one of those cheap one you get, so it doesn't get a usb port but i have a spare one so might crack it open and add a little fan powered by the ethernet.

If you're going to be soldering things onto it anyway, just wire a regular 12v fan into it. Most routers I've seen have 12V input from the brick. Just beware that the amperage of the brick is probably similar to the wattage on an OEM PC power supply - just enough for stable operation. If you do that, you might consider looking for "universal" brick that can provide a bit more juice when needed.

Back