• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ethical RMA Opinion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandrock

Here's my dilemma. I just received a motherboard from newegg that is DOA. However, I think I've found the problem. One of the motherboard mosfets is at a 45 degree angle to where its proper position is, and it looks like one side of the mosfet is not making contact with its lead point. It would be a very easy job to take a drop of solder and make the connection. But if it doesn't work and the board is STILL dead, would it be unethical to RMA? :shrug:

I see my situation as a little different than most. When most people ask questions about the ethics of RMAing dead hardware, its usually after they've killed the board with a failed mod. However, in my situation, the board came to my doorstep dead. No post, no beeping, nothing. If all it takes is a drop of solder to get it working and avoid the RMA procedure, great, I'd do it. I wanted to get others opinions before I take the plunge and try to fix it.

id do it in a heartbeat. you could even remove the solder if it didnt work. theres little question in my mind. i dont see what the problem is.

modifying with extensive external components to push beyond reccomended specifications, killing, and then returning is wrong

attempting an easy repair of a DOA piece and then returning seems like it would be common sense. if you have the ability to repair it with confidence, i see no reason not to attempt it.

Last edited:
Mate,

You paid good money for something that should work flawlessly. A mis-seated MOSFET goes to show poor QC measures being implemented. I would not trust that entire batch of boards. Who knows if something else could go wrong?

I would call newegg an either demand a full refund or ask them to cover the shipping charges. There is no reason you should have to do someone else's job. I would get a spanking new board or my money back :D

My Two Cents Worth

RMA it.You paid for a good board.Whatever dammaged it may have dammaged other components.If the board wasn't under warrenty or a good return policy then is the time to work on it.If you work on the board then you have voided the return.

No ethical dilemma at all as long as you don't try to repair it. Just rma it and patiently wait for the replacement.

I'm going to have to nod in the direction of everyone else. Chances are, the board will go through an inspection for the RMA process. If you do some solder work (not that I'm doubting your mad soldering abilities :)), without success, your chances of not getting an RMA increase exponentially.

Yes...waiting for something you've already been waiting for...again...stinks, but your piece of mind is probably worth it. My .02

by trying to fix it your self, you are in effect trying to save newegg money. I think you should call them up and explain the situation, and they might tell you to go ahead with soldering. If you can fix it, they dont have to got through the whole RMA process, i would think that they would agree.

If you recieved the motherboard DOA, then you won't be doing anything wrong if you make an attempt to revive. It would be very different had the board died to previous modding; however, this is not the case. My advice to you: give your suggestion a shot and RMA it if it does not work.

deception``

If you're experienced with soldering, go ahead and do it. If it doesn't work RMA it. If you know what your doing there is know way they will be able to tell yo soldered it.

You paid for a working board, whether an easy fix or not, its not what you paid for, do the right thing and make them send you what you paid for.

geez, not a good sign for their level of QC. you seem to be taking this pretty well. i know someone, where if something like this happened to her she would demand a replacement and a refund...

Must say I agree with the majority here , but if you dont want to wait then call them and ask their opinion on it . Just be sure to get the persons name , extension , and so forth so you dont get burned , if it doesnt work . Personally I would rma . They normally offer you free stuff for FUBAR situations like this . :D Free is good .

I think you should RMA it. The fact that the mosfet is not connected may not be the whole problem. If you accidentally damage the board trying to fix it, you may not be able to RMA it. Unless money is no object, then don't risk it.

Back