• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ever had a temp sensor be wrong? Or is this heatsink not flat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jpinard

Mobo: Asus P5N-E SLI
CPU: Intel Core-2 Duo 8400 (3 Gig)
Heatsink: Zerotherm Nirvana NV120

I'm building a system for family and something just doens't add up. The cpu is Intel dual core e8400 @ 3.0 Gig and we're using a Zerotherm Nirvana NV120as the heatsink/fan (Arctic Cooling MX-2 thermal grease).

I've cleaned and re-seated the heatsink twice and I'm still getting these temps. I'm concerned that maybe the heat sink isn't touching one side of the cpu properly? Is that possible? a 10C difference between cores seems wrong and so do the temps considering it's un-OC'ed. Is it possible the temp sensor is wrong? No matter what program I use, the temps show the same readings. Thanks for the help.

I saw this review at newegg and it concerned me that this is what's happening:

Pros: It works somehow, with extremely thick layer of thermal grease. No wonder they send so much!!! If your CPU is getting HOT. It's because the typical amount of grease one usually uses doesn't even contact the Heat Sink base!!!

Cons: The Heat Sink Base has 2 rails sticking down on the sides where the 2 halves are put together, like ski rails! They hold the Heat Sink up 1/16"" off the CPU!!! INSANE!!! My CPU was over-heating, so I pulled this unit and the grease layer never even made contact! I spread an even, standard layer that was even too much for my flush bottomed Zalman. What squirted out the sides with my Zalman didn't even reach the bottom of this Zerotherm ""Alternator"". Looks just like an auto alternator mounted to the MB. Was, and am tempted to take a file to the bottom and remove those stupid stand-off rails so more than (2) 1/16"" rails contact my CPU. And, the base is alot smaller than my AMD 6400+ CPU. Almost 1/4"" of my CPU stick out past the heat sink at each end!!! Would NEVER buy this again. If RMA wasn't such a pain, it'd be down the freakn road.

Other Thoughts: Looks cool, Very Very Very Stupid base design. Use a taping knife to cover the CPU with grease. Ski rails are for trucks, not heat sinks! If you're into cars, you'll love the alternator look.

Can you please post the temps. Check to see if the actual 'mounting' hardware for your heatsink is installed properly too.

Then take out the heatsink, lay it on something flat and see if there is any abnormalites. Also don't forget about your CPU being off too, check every component!

PEACE

Back